• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to purchase first firearm and got delayed from NICS

How TF do you know this stuff? šŸ˜‚

The Mill is 1.5 hours, so I have to commit to two trips if I want something. But when I do go back after I get my proceed I generally try to tack on an additional purchase.
Because I sold a lot of guns to guys who got delayed. More often than not they always did multiples or like you say, they'd do a tack on or three when they'd come to pick up. šŸ¤£

went to purchase my first firearm today and got ā€œdelayedā€ on background check. Do these always take 3 days in peoples experience ? Also not sure why it was delayed just picked up my LTC
Iā€™ve been delayed numerous times cuz I have a very common name. Just happens. I avoid buying on Saturdays and that seems to help.

Can really take the wind out of your sails fast haha
Yup. I also started providing my social on the 4473 even though itā€™s optional just to avoid being delayed. Plus, Iā€™m already on whatever government list they claim doesnā€™t exist.

I blame my parents for the most unoriginal name in North America

Yup. I also started providing my social on the 4473 even though itā€™s optional just to avoid being delayed. Plus, Iā€™m already on whatever government list they claim doesnā€™t exist.

Yep I put my social down too didnā€™t help obviously really was a bummer after being excited to buy my first firearm

Continued Without A Finding? That's been the disposition for ..... a number of charges which I don't necessary wish to publicly disclose. They're now dismissed, because I stopped being an angry teen.
Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't a disposition require an arrest?

The gov doesn't need your social to find your info. Everything you put on the 4473 gives them more than enough info.

These people can see it all.

I said it before, when my mother in law was traveling to the U.S for the first time, TSA stopped her because they were being d*cks (just long enough for her to miss her flight then let her through). She said her daughter's info, and MY information, was on their screen (we weren't married but lived together). Everything was there.

She couldn't read it all, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also said I owned guns.

And this was some random TSA person, nothing top secret. I managed to find the right phone number and called them while my MIL was there to ask "WTF". It was funny, she said they answered the phone near her and she could hear me. [rofl] ... the idiots asked me how I found the number, all I said was "that is my job". That felt gangster.

The gov doesn't need your social to find your info. Everything you put on the 4473 gives them more than enough info.

These people can see it all.

I said it before, when my mother in law was traveling to the U.S for the first time, TSA stopped her because they were being d*cks (just long enough for her to miss her flight then let her through). She said her daughter's info, and MY information, was on their screen (we weren't married but lived together). Everything was there.

She couldn't read it all, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also said I owned guns.

And this was some random TSA person, nothing top secret. I managed to find the right phone number and called them while my MIL was there to ask "WTF". It was funny, she said they answered the phone near her and she could hear me. [rofl] ... the idiots asked me how I found the number, all I said was "that is my job". That felt gangster.
How the f*** did you not say ā€œI have a very particular set of skills..ā€

I used to get delayed sometimes when NICS first came out, then went years without a delay, they started to get more common the past 7-8 years so I Got a UPIN a couple years back haven't been delayed since Always takes a few extra minutes though.

I have had an FFL let me leave with the gun on a delay with a ""sign here and I'll fill the date in later" but that is certainly not the norm....

I bought a new handgun last week. The local shop has gone paperless which worked out good if you make a mistake you donā€™t have to get a new form and start over. The entire process after I said Iā€™ll take it was under 5 minutes. This was at the Gun Rack in Turners Falls, MA.

Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

I got denied once because of a Technicality in Florida that had me as a "Fugitive from Justice".
With a Bench Warrant for failing to go to Probation. I cleared all that up the day of the Trial.
So they did not have to start probation. This was 14 years Prior. I also went through a DOD
Background Check in that time period.

It took me 10 Months to clear all that up. I wrote a letter to the Judge and it was the same
Judge I was in front of 14 years ago!

Malodave

I got delayed for 3 days once decades ago, when I did not include my social security number.

After that, I always made sure to include my SS = and no more delays.

Years later, I did a google search to find out if there was someone with my same name with a record, and I found a convicted felon diddler with my same first & last name. That explained the delay.

Last edited:
I got delayed but like 30 or 45 minutes a few times (the first two or three guns I bought here) then the last gun I bought it went right through. ONLY when I was here, bought a PC carbine after I moved here in georgia and no delay IIRC. I have never had it happen before I moved here.
I just realized that may have been because I had a North Carolina CCW permit. If you have a concealed carry permit in NC (what most of the rest of the country calls an LTC) you can skip the NICS check.

Before five years or so ago I was rarely delayed, seems like right around the start of covid it got rapidly worse. By now I get delayed almost every time to the point where a proceed never even comes back. Was thinking upin but I hesitate to invite the feds into my life when as mentioned here already it seems to be random were the upin helps. I've tried ssn or not to no effect. At this point I just assume delay and plan accordingly.
I don't even bother to stop at gun shops anymore when I'm out kicking around far from home knowing it will involve another trip if I buy something.
I certainly need to find out if a shop has pant-shitting-no-release-until-a-proceed policy. Got unwittingly caught up in that on a transfer once, actually had to go back after 30 days and do another 4473, eventually after many weeks harassed/shamed them into releasing the gun.

Before five years or so ago I was rarely delayed, seems like right around the start of covid it got rapidly worse. By now I get delayed almost every time to the point where a proceed never even comes back. Was thinking upin but I hesitate to invite the feds into my life when as mentioned here already it seems to be random were the upin helps. I've tried ssn or not to no effect. At this point I just assume delay and plan accordingly.
I don't even bother to stop at gun shops anymore when I'm out kicking around far from home knowing it will involve another trip if I buy something.
I certainly need to find out if a shop has pant-shitting-no-release-until-a-proceed policy. Got unwittingly caught up in that on a transfer once, actually had to go back after 30 days and do another 4473, eventually after many weeks harassed/shamed them into releasing the gun.
same. a right delayed is a right denied. this bullshit is by design. change my mind-
200.gif

Would you call the FFL and check status in the mean time or just showed up at the Brady date to pickup?

call on Saturday, ask if they have gotten a proceed, and if not are they willing to sell the gun to you since the 3 day business day waiting period has passed

call on Saturday, ask if they have gotten a proceed, and if not are they willing to sell the gun to you since the 3 day business day waiting period has passed
Yes they are Iā€™ll be out of state though so Iā€™ll have to wait till Iā€™m back wonder if I should call and let them know

Back
Top Bottom