• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to purchase first firearm and got delayed from NICS

I get delayed every single time.

Thank God - it keeps me from making impulse purchases!
Actually it depends on how you look at it because honestly if I got delayed I'd be buying two to three times as many guns every whack because of the inconvenience. Like for example why only buy one lower if you know you're going to get delayed you might as well buy two or three of them because you don't want to have to go through that bullshit again....

just to toss out the improbable, but some FFLs will not release the purchased firearm unless they get a proceed from the feds. They CAN release it if they want, but they are under no obligation to do so.

just to toss out the improbable, but some FFLs will not release the purchased firearm unless they get a proceed from the feds. They CAN release it if they want, but they are under no obligation to do so.
And people who are smart will usually put the big black cross on dealers who won't release on a delay timeout. Many delays always go the full 3 days plus. I get the risk aversion strategy but quite simply that's a box store thing. I don't typically buy guns at box stores.

Actually it depends on how you look at it because honestly if I got delayed I'd be buying two to three times as many guns every whack because of the inconvenience. Like for example why only buy one lower if you know you're going to get delayed you might as well buy two or three of them because you don't want to have to go through that bullshit again....
This, and imagine getting delayed 1.5-2hrs from home.

F*ck that.

Mmmm...even after the wait period is over?

After years of being made fun of for having a seriously awkward and unique last name it’s finally paying off for me
🤣
I would wager, my last name might be one of the most uncommon last names in the country
My last name is a very common European last name, there are definitely people in prison in MA with my last name. I have zero issues.

Weird, I must have bought well over 100 firearms over the years and I never experienced a delay. Is it really that common?

Mmmm...even after the wait period is over?
Yes there are box and box like stores that will not release on a "default proceed". They will wait until the feds or whoever actually finish the transaction with an official proceed. (Which often takes forever or never happens lol)

I don't remember if Deli ticket Emporium does this or not but some of the other bigs do it all the time.

ETA: Anyone who gets delayed all the time needs to ask the dealer whether or not they will release after the 3 days and then decide at that point whether or not they're going to do business with the dealer.

Weird, I must have bought well over 100 firearms over the years and I never experienced a delay. Is it really that common?
Most people get an instant proceed but delays are very statistically significant... I have a few friends that get delays all the time so it's not invisible for sure.

My last name is a very common European last name, there are definitely people in prison in MA with my last name. I have zero issues.
Upin?

My uncle, with the same name has been in and out of the Massachusetts correctional facilities, his whole life

No, never used that.

Only time I got delayed is when I wasn't a citizen and had a resident alien FID (the old paper FID). But I have never been delayed after becoming a citizen and getting the citizen LTC.

If people were delayed because of a last name that someone else has in prison, every "Smith" would be delayed.

No, never used that.

Only time I got delayed is when I wasn't a citizen and had a resident alien FID (the old paper FID). But I have never been delayed after becoming a citizen and getting the citizen LTC.

If people were delayed because of a last name that someone else has in prison, every "Smith" would be delayed.
Yeah, well that’s always the reason we were told as to why they get delayed

I get delayed every time for the full 3 days, my own fault.

Never bothered getting a upin because I just don't purchase enough and it takes significant time in and of itself

My CWOF'd stuff was never an issue. I wasn't arrested for it, might be the diffrence.
We’ll I don’t think it will be an issue I do has ever think I’ll be waiting for someone to look through it
Did you purchase around lunch time or around dinner? Something flaged when the examiner checked your name this could have been for a number of reasons and when that happens, your search has to get kicked up to a supervisor. The supervisor has access to more data then the examiner and in most casses they will be able to see what the added information is and in most casses you will be a proceed. If the supervisor is not available lunch, dinner, bathroom or smoke break the examiner will delay you. The fact that you were not denied is a good sign. The supervisor may end up contacting the dealer latter in the day or the dealer can proceed after 3 working days. I almost always get bumped up to a supervisor delay and then get a proceed. Don't worry it was not a deny.
it was like 1030 am

I get delayed every time for the full 3 days, my own fault.

Never bothered getting a upin because I just don't purchase enough and it takes significant time in and of itself

They have an efile system for UPIN now, the upin process doesn't take 2+ years anymore.

If I got delayed I would get the upin after the first time.

I got delayed once, a number of years ago at what they call the deli counter today. Wasn't as bad then and I happened to be going by on my way back on 93 and thought what the hell. Normally it wouldn't be bad if local but I'm not close to Waltham so now I had an hour and a half trip to do each way. It's not a big deal, just an annoyance. Float back after 3 business days.

I've been delayed every single time my entire life. I tried using my SS number once and it was still delayed, so I never used it again. I don't like the idea of it personally. Funny thing is the other day I actually got my first "proceed", I felt like I won the lottery.

Sorta how one purchase worked out for me- Show up to pick up said handgun after delay, check out additional handguns while waiting for paperwork. I ended up taking a liking to another and joked I should start the process now so I could pick up next week. I was told my "proceed" was good for a handgun, regardless of quantity....so the delay cost me more $ in the long run 😂

went to purchase my first firearm today and got “delayed” on background check. Do these always take 3 days in peoples experience ? Also not sure why it was delayed just picked up my LTC
Been delayed 2 times. One time the shop called my cell before I got home and I turned around and went back. Other time it went 3 days and they called and said no reply come get it.

How TF do you know this stuff? 😂

The Mill is 1.5 hours, so I have to commit to two trips if I want something. But when I do go back after I get my proceed I generally try to tack on an additional purchase.

Back
Top Bottom