Buying more than one firearm

I’ve always been told that if a person buys more than one firearm at a time from a FFL, the purchase is reported to DOJ.

Have you heard this? Is it true? My local FFL has two firearms that I might be interested in purchasing.

I’ve always been told that if a person buys more than one firearm at a time from a FFL, the purchase is reported to DOJ.

Have you heard this? Is it true? My local FFL has two firearms that I might be interested in purchasing.
More than one handgun in a 7- business day period From a given FFL will trigger an MHP form submission to the feds.... that largely, honestly isn't even worth worrying about unless you're doing something stupid like buying 10 hi points at once. Gun shops send MHP forms all the time and 99% of the time nothing happens.

More than one handgun in a 7- business day period From a given FFL will trigger an MHP form submission to the feds.... that largely, honestly isn't even worth worrying about unless you're doing something stupid like buying 10 hi points at once. Gun shops send MHP forms all the time and 99% of the time nothing happens.
I bought 10 glock 19s to put in each room of my house...should I be worried (jk)

what? people buy more than one firearm at a time? nooo waaay!

many time over the years i've picked up 2 pistols at one go...i'm still here to tell the tale. i was disappointed no one from the government came knocking cause i wanted to show off my new toys to someone.

@mcshooter wins, most I ever did at one time was 5, OP you’re got nothing to worry about
I've done over 15 at once because I got a collection from a friend who suddenly became ineligible to own guns. My ffl included a note to them explaining the transaction. No dead dogs or break ins by jbts. 🤣

I bought my first two pistols at Bass Ripoff on the same day, and received "such a deal" on them. Back then, they had great sales after the summer. Plus I received mfg. rebates and opened a charge account. It was a good score! The clerk asked me to come back in a few days to pick up the second one so he and the manager didn't have to fill out additional paperwork. I never received any phone calls or visits post purchase. There are ways around everything.

I've done over 15 at once because I got a collection from a friend who suddenly became ineligible to own guns. My ffl included a note to them explaining the transaction. No dead dogs or break ins by jbts. 🤣

Same here. Got 18 I think it was. Uncle died and I got everything. Aunt wanted it by the books so they all went through an FFL. No problems.

That is the dealer's responsibility to have you fill out that form. The requirement is 5 consecutive business days. So, you buy one on Monday and buy the second one next Monday. Nowadays a business day can be a Sat or Sunday. Who knows.
As most say, don't worry about it. A woman up here in Maine bought 52 guns in a 6 month period. How did they catch her? One of the guns was used in a murder in Calif.
Otherwise they probably wouldn't have known she bought all those guns. Oh, 38 were from the same dealer, so basically she had to fill out one of those forms at least once. She's in prison right now for straw purchases.

BTW, when you do a 4473 "background check" the serial # of the firearm you purchase is on that form. Although it stays with the dealer, that's how the Feds track it back to the person that purchased it.

Last edited:
BTW, when you do a 4473 "background check" the serial # of the firearm you purchase is on that form. Although it stays with the dealer, that's how the Feds track it back to the person that purchased it.
So your saying its like that totally humiliating bad date that you want to forget about,
But you find it trending on facebook

I think in 2020 I had 4 items xferred by my local town ffl to me in a week, so far all good. I even still have 2 of them. Lowers I was always getting in pairs, as it was too costly to buy just one. No issues

So when I croak, my kid's gonna make one hell of a list right out of the box. [laugh]

And for those of you who are willing to wait in lines like this, once your ticket is called why buy only one?

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fad252446-cd82-11e4-9144-00144feab7de

Buying this matched set puts you on a terrorist watch list:

DSC04627.jpg
yup. i was looking at a matched set of Ruger Vaquero's a couple of years back. The owner bought, and never shot, them to use in CASS. He was all nervous in his ad that he had to notify someone. Trying to explain to him that as a private seller he did not, and I don't know how he would, was fruitless. I wonder if he still owns them or went through a dealer to sell. Severe Nervous Nelly Ma**h***.

Back
Top Bottom