• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts LTC holder, first purchase - where to shop? Glock?

Okay - possibly an ignorant question, but I gotta know. It seems the gun community is like the car sales community - you never pay MSRP. I think the P365 I handled at Gartman today was $599. Are these things really selling for $599 or is it the type of deal where the tag will always show MSRP but you gotta dicker ‘em down? I’m happy to pay a little more for buying local but a hundred bucks stings! Hahah.

Also, the PPS was $399 down from $425 but I’m still seeing them even cheaper elsewhere.

Would love if someone could help me out with some etiquette here. Thanks, my friends!

The common etiquette is to ask about discounts by paying cash. Beyond that at a gun store is generally frowned upon. You can find the P365 out of state for around $500. But help support your local gun stores.

I wouldn't buy a small gun as a first. Snappy tiny guns are hard to become proficient on. Consider something larger like a G19 sized or bigger. It'll be softer shooting and your hands won't hurt. Make shooting enjoyable. Better yet, buy a Ruger SR22 ($300) as trainer. Save yourself some money on ammo while you build up your trigger time. Good luck.

The common etiquette is to ask about discounts by paying cash. Beyond that at a gun store is generally frowned upon. You can find the P365 out of state for around $500. But help support your local gun stores.

I wouldn't buy a small gun as a first. Snappy tiny guns are hard to become proficient on. Consider something larger like a G19 sized or bigger. It'll be softer shooting and your hands won't hurt. Make shooting enjoyable. Better yet, buy a Ruger SR22 ($300) as trainer. Save yourself some money on ammo while you build up your trigger time. Good luck.

Someone suggested earlier in this thread that a local Pink Pistols event was coming up. You could attend that, or something similar. Go SHOOT as many pistols as you can. One of the reasons that there are so many different guns available on the market is that there's a demand for different guns. Yeah - just like cars. The gun that feels good in my hands may not feel good in your hands. We have people here who are 1911 devotees, people who swear by Glocks, people who swear at Glocks.

As TomMontana said, a small gun is harder to shoot than a larger gun, at least initially. It has a shorter sight radius, it has less mass to take up recoil, and depending upon its grip size and your hand size, it can be difficult to get a solid grip on it.

Considering that a single handgun is going to cost you at least 300$, and more likely 500 - mistakes on a budget add up quickly. Go SHOOT the guns you think you like before you buy one.

God. Please don't get a Ruger SR22. 22LR is just a waste of time IMO for pistol. Get a 9mm and learn on something that you will actually use.

Every time I take the SR22 with me to the range and pop off a few "BB pellets" I ask myself Why?

Check Shooters Supply in Westport. They have some good deals and no FUD.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Four Seasons in Woburn has a fair number of used Glocks ["Tactical Tupperware"] available at good prices. Check out https://fsguns.com/used/
Have things changed recently? At the prices Carl charges for Gen 2s and early Gen 3s(and good for him if people are buying at those prices), one could easily buy a Gen 4 or Gen 5 on the secondary market.

God. Please don't get a Ruger SR22. 22LR is just a waste of time IMO for pistol. Get a 9mm and learn on something that you will actually use.

Every time I take the SR22 with me to the range and pop off a few "BB pellets" I ask myself Why?

I'm with you on the SR22. Mine is only for when I take new people to the range so they can take a few shots before they fire the 9mm & .38

I'm with you on the SR22. Mine is only for when I take new people to the range so they can take a few shots before they fire the 9mm & .38
What’s wrong with the SR22? Lol. I bought a pink one for my wife and it fits her hand well but it’s tiny for my larger hands. But it’s a fun plinker and I always bring it when I have new shooters with me.

Okay - possibly an ignorant question, but I gotta know. It seems the gun community is like the car sales community - you never pay MSRP. I think the P365 I handled at Gartman today was $599. Are these things really selling for $599 or is it the type of deal where the tag will always show MSRP but you gotta dicker ‘em down? I’m happy to pay a little more for buying local but a hundred bucks stings! Hahah.

Also, the PPS was $399 down from $425 but I’m still seeing them even cheaper elsewhere.

Would love if someone could help me out with some etiquette here. Thanks, my friends!
You were paying a bit of an early arrival premium. There aren't a lot of standard shops selling that gun (to others, yes I know you can get it elsewhere) yet since the Massachusetts SKU hasn't hit market yet and they're skirting that a little bit since the ones Gartman Arms are selling are no safety versions and not butchered like Massachusetts wants them to be. Not a particularly unfair price otherwise. Just more related to perceived availability.

What’s wrong with the SR22? Lol. I bought a pink one for my wife and it fits her hand well but it’s tiny for my larger hands. But it’s a fun plinker and I always bring it when I have new shooters with me.

Nothing's wrong with the SR22. If you're going to have multiple firearms.
I love shooting .22's. Last time I looked I had (2) revolvers, a couple of bolt-actions, a couple of 10/22's, a couple of semi's, an CCMG AR-15 in .22 and a .22 conversion for my G17.

But, if you're only going to have one or two guns, and your focus is clearly self-defense, probably better to have something in a heavier caliber.

As for new shooters and bringing a .22 - absolutely. I took two friends to the range last year, both new shooters, and in the array of firearms were a .22 revolver and a .22 semi. Started with the .22 revolver to show the fundamentals of how a firearm works and what it feels like, then moved to the .22 semi to show the difference. Then stepped up to .38 in a revolver and 9mm in a semi. Ran a bolt action .22 and a 10/22, then a 9mm Ruger.

One of them had his permit; he went out and bought a G17 afterwards. The other has asked me if I'll show his daughter to shoot this summer. He and his wife are talking about getting permits.

P365's are relatively rare, so you're not going to get much of a discount.

I'd echo earlier sentiments...shoot some pistols before you buy one if you can.

I’ll be shooting a bunch today

I spent last night looking at Glock 26 and 19. 26 is somewhat interesting - 10+1 in a size close to the 43. If I were actually able to get a 43x, that might be a real contender.

Here's what I'm hoping to shoot today:

Glock 17
Glock 19
Glock 26
Glock 43
Sig P365
Sig P320 Subcompact
Sig P320 Compact
Walther PPS M2

My buddy @buckfarack has offered to let me shoot a couple of his as well, including his 365, so for that I am grateful. Thanks again to everyone in here, you've all been awesome. Even you, @oppressed! [laugh] JK, he sent me a very nice PM and now we're basically best friends. :emoji_couple:

Will keep you guys updated on how it goes!

As for new shooters and bringing a .22 - absolutely.
This thread just made me realize a very slight advantage of
our bull barrel Mk III 22/45 over the SR22 for first-timers:

Consider the "push hands together" technique to compensate for
inadequate upper body strength to rack a pistol.
How_to_Rack_the_slide_05.jpg

One might hope it was unnecessary given the rather weak recoil spring
on a .22 pistol. But never say never.
ActualDirectBovine-size_restricted.gif

Cocking a Ruger Mark-series (semi-auto) bolt via
the idiosyncratic ears way at the back of the receiver
means that neophytes going to have a hard time shooting
themselves in the palm.

Abdomen, yes. Forearm, sure.
Guy standing to their left, absolutely.

But palm, no - the shooty end of the pistol
is too far away from the bolt ears.
=====
I don't mean to imply that first-timers should be
racking pistols, or starting off with more than
a single round in the mag, or violating any of the
other best practices that I don't even know about.

And the bull barrel's more important benefit
for a first-timer is reduced recoil from higher mass -
not increased safety from the length meaning that
the muzzle is almost halfway to the target.

I'm jus' sayin'...

My wife got her LTC about six months ago and took her time trying out gun after gun at MFS as well as a few friends guns at other ranges-- so a wide variety. I had bought a smallish Ruger thinking she would like that but she didn't. Over and over again she kept coming back to my own Beretta 92FS which I thought would be difficult for her because she has small hands-- but she is crazy accurate with it. I picked up a Beretta 85 thinking she would like that and she still preferred the 92. When it came time to buy her own firearm she said "why fight it?" and bought a 92 from Four Seasons (at a great price). The gun is big but she is able to carry it and use it with no troubles at all.

My wife got her LTC about six months ago and took her time trying out gun after gun at MFS as well as a few friends guns at other ranges-- so a wide variety. I had bought a smallish Ruger thinking she would like that but she didn't. Over and over again she kept coming back to my own Beretta 92FS which I thought would be difficult for her because she has small hands-- but she is crazy accurate with it. I picked up a Beretta 85 thinking she would like that and she still preferred the 92. When it came time to buy her own firearm she said "why fight it?" and bought a 92 from Four Seasons (at a great price). The gun is big but she is able to carry it and use it with no troubles at all.

My office manager is 5’0” weighs 110lbs and has medium size hands for someone her size. Her favorite gun to shoot, which she is crazy accurate with, is my Smith E-Series 1911.

My first pistol was the 92fs and I am very accurate with that gun. A soda can at 30 yards is pretty easy. Next was a Sig P250c with the 9 and .45 conversion. It packs a wallop since I only use it with .45 as my winter cc. After that was a Kahr CM9 for my smaller carry. Try racking the slide to battery on that one! G17 next with various accoutrements and finally a Walther P22 QD. Funny how I got that last. Well, not that one is the very last I’m afraid. I love em all so far and wouldn’t sell any.

Ended up only shooting a P320C and a G19 today but put plenty of rounds through both. I shot SIGNIFICANTLY better with the 19. Didn’t expect that.

Didn’t like the feel of the P320C; Glock felt so much better in my hands.

Did MFS not have any deals

There's 2 things I can't stand:
1. People who are intolerant of other cultures.
2. The Dutch

Are you old enough to have heard of Tom Lehrer?

One week of every year is designated national brotherhood week.
This is just one of many such weeks honoring various worthy causes.
One of my favorites is national make-fun-of-the-handicapped week,
Which Frank Fontaine and Jerry Lewis are in charge of as you know.
During national brotherhood week various special events are arranged to drive home the message of brotherhood.
This year, for example, on the first day of the week Malcolm X was killed which gives you an idea of how effective the whole thing is.
I'm sure we all agree that we ought to love one another and I know there are people in the world that do not love their fellow human beings and I hate people like that.

Here's a song about national brotherhood week.

Oh, the white folks hate the black folks,
And the black folks hate the white folks.
To hate all but the right folks
Is an old established rule.

But during national brotherhood week, national brotherhood week,
Lena Horne and sheriff Clarke are dancing cheek to cheek.
It's fun to eulogize
The people you despise,
As long as you don't let 'em in your school.

Oh, the poor folks hate the rich folks,
And the rich folks hate the poor folks.
All of my folks hate all of your folks,
It's American as apple pie.

New Yorkers love the Puerto Ricans 'cause it's very chic.
Step up and shake the hand
Of someone you can't stand.
You can tolerate him if you try.

Oh, the Protestants hate the Catholics,
And the Catholics hate the Protestants,
And the Hindus hate the muslems,
And everybody hates the Jews.

It's national everyone-smile-at-one-another-hood week.
Be nice to people who
Are inferior to you.
It's only for a week, so have no fear.
Be grateful that it doesn't last all year!

Ended up only shooting a P320C and a G19 today but put plenty of rounds through both. I shot SIGNIFICANTLY better with the 19. Didn’t expect that.

Didn’t like the feel of the P320C; Glock felt so much better in my hands.

I don't know if it's available in Massachusetts, (that roster/limitations don't apply to me), but the Springfield XDM is somewhat similar and if I weren't a Glock FanBoi I'd probably buy a couple of them. Resist the impulse to buy until you've shot as many different guns as you can.

And if you do decide that you like the Glock platform, try the different flavors of the kool-aid. I carry a G43 when it needs to be concealed, I almost always have a G17 with me in a knapsack, and I generally shoot a G34 in competition. I've also got a G31 (Sig357 in same frame size as G17/G34 - just because).

The G43 with a Talon wrap and the full size G17/G34 frame works well for me. I don't care for the G19's frame, it doesn't fit *my* hand. My son carries a G19, he likes that frame. He likes my G43, doesn't care so much for my G17 or G34. His hands are shaped more like his mother's than mine. There's choice across the line.

Back
Top Bottom