Massachusetts LTC holder, first purchase - where to shop? Glock?

Also check out Shooting Supply in Westport. They're trying to be "Four Seasons of the South Coast" and they do the low-margin-high-volume thing so they often have the best prices. Get on some dealer mailing lists and keep an eye on the dealer section of the classifieds for specials. In general, prices on guns and ammo are great right now but I suspect they'll creep up as the next presidential election gets closer.

Glocks are legal to posses. Most dealers won't sell them to a MA resident. Mags over 10 rounds are only legal to posses if they are preban.

Sig or H&K or CZ. Who buys Glocks???
I bought my first Glock when I got into 3gun. The main reason I chose Glock for this was capacity. Preban mags, while expensive, are very easy to find. And magazine capacity is an advantage in competition.

Welcome to the chaos of firearm ownership.
I would suggest something in 9mm. There really isn’t a “bad one”, but something metal framed would be a good start. Beretta, Sig, or a 1911 in 9mm.
Polymer and compact I would recommend as a second gun, then budget for a revolver.

First of all, find a pro 2A dealer.... ( read that any way you want, but you get my point)

Secondly if you want one of the newer Glock 4X models in Mass, be prepared to bend over.

Don't get me wrong, I Like Glocks, I own a few, but I live in NH where new ones are sub $500 dollars all day long and used ones are reasonably priced.

To pay a premium (above MSRP) because MA says they can not be sold new is stupid IMHO.

There are good affordable handguns available for reasonable money on this forum all the time.

Okay - couple questions here. I'm looking into private instruction at AFS - anyone know if they'll provide it to me even though I don't have my own gun yet? I can call tomorrow morning but I figured it can't hurt to ask as one of you may know. Ideally, this person will refresh me in the basics again, check my form, and let me shoot some guns that I'm interested in.

Second, do they have a store where I'd be able to purchase a gun that I end up liking? I can't find anything on their site about their store but I do see that they have a retail store.

Third, still looking for safe recommendations! Big enough for some documents, my handgun, ammo, etc. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the wonderful world of gun ownership. Glocks are good and the G43 is really good with talon grips. Also, consider trying out a Walther PPS M2. It’s become one of my favorite summer carries. I’ve also got smaller hands but the PPS M2 conceals well and has one of the best grips.

Sorry - why not skimp on a safe? I mean, I have several cheap handgun, and several long gun safes and a locked ammo cabinet. As all my guns are shooters, I've nothing precious or collectable, so I find my need for a serious (e.g. fire resistant, thick, heavy, &c) safe is limited. Any safe can be broken into by determined criminals: a light safe, bolted down in a hidden place that's hard to get leverage on is going to be a decent deterrant.

Consider: where is the safe going? Is this going to be your home defense gun, or do you have/will you get something else? (Tip: don't use a handgun for primary home defense weapon, shotgun or rifle is the state of the art)

If just for storage, it hardly matters, but if for HD: avoid biometrics, dial combinations, and keyed locks. Most people think manual push-buttons are best, I am comfortable enough in having multiple, smaller, (semi-)hidden, electronic ones, in staged defensive locations, with one manual lock and hanger for the HD shotgun. I test them all regularly, and practice defeating the lock and drawing from them on occasion when nobody is around.

My wife isn't a fan of guns; this is the reason I'm only just about to make my first purchase. I've had my LTC for over a year now. She's only coming around because I just took the civil service test and am trying to become a police officer. Kinda inevitable that there will be a gun in our home when that [hopefully] happens.

That said, a diesel safe will certainly help her with the idea. I'm from upstate New York where seeing someone carrying a gun or shooting in your backyard isn't a crazy thought; she's from Stoughton where the only thing you hear about guns is mostly bad news.

This is the one I'm looking at:

Kodiak KSB3020E | 30"H x 20"W x 20"D | 60 Min

230lbs should be a pretty decent deterrent without having to bolt it down. Ha! If I grab one of these I'm going to need a couple of you to come over and help me move it - I lift pretty heavy weights 4x per week, but this 33 year old is starting to feel her age! :p

Not much to add. But I wouldn't buy anything smaller than a 36 gun safe. They fill up quick. They're like potato chips once you start it's hard to stop. You can never fit as many guns as they say.

Thanks for the replies! I have fairly small hands and am looking for something around the size of a G43 or smaller. I’ve shot a G42 a bunch but am looking to go 9mm. Sorry - I should have provided this info up front!

I tried to locate a shop nearest me with a Google search but was unsuccessful. Gun Parlor came up and Mass Firearms in Holliston but neither are very close.

If you are planning to go into LE, I would get a Glock 17 or 22 and get comfortable with it. It's statistically what your department's in Mass will be carrying. There are some outliers of course... people that carry Sigs and other things that don't work ;)

Also, if you are ever in the Worcester area, I know a little bit about LE firearms stuff. Good luck getting on the job. Enjoy NES as a cop [rolleyes]

If you are planning to go into LE, I would get a Glock 17 or 22 and get comfortable with it. It's statistically what your department's in Mass will be carrying. There are some outliers of course... people that carry Sigs and other things that don't work ;)

Also, if you are ever in the Worcester area, I know a little bit about LE firearms stuff. Good luck getting on the job. Enjoy NES as a cop [rolleyes]

Oh boy, do I even want to know?! :D

Thanks for the offer and well wishes! I’m a little bit of a late bloomer at 33 but we’ll see how it goes. Helps that I’m a woman trying to get on but it’s pretty competitive out there otherwise. Fingers crossed!

Oh boy, do I even want to know?! :D

even if you don't want to know... you'll find out. But I digress.

I'm glad to see that you are taking firearms skill seriously as a prospective cop. There is much to be desired in terms of training on the job, but it's getting better in some places.

230lbs should be a pretty decent deterrent without having to bolt it down.

LOL. I could throw it on my shoulder and carry it up stairs if it's only 230lbs.

Spend a couple bucks more and get this.
Cannon TS5934 45-Minute Fire Rated 40 Gun Safe at Tractor Supply Co..

Trust me.. you will be glad you did. The big reason you bolt the safe down is that it is much easier to break into once you knock it over. 40 gun safes don't really hold 40 guns. And you can put more than just your guns in it. Not to mention 30" tall is pretty short for a gun safe.

Today it's a hand gun.. then an AR.. then a scoped rifle...then a shotty ... then a wheel gun. Rinse and repeat. After you have the basics covered you will buy the guns you really don't need, but have always wanted just the same. Like this...

Model 29.JPG

LOL. I could throw it on my shoulder and carry it up stairs if it's only 230lbs.

Trust me.. you will be glad you did. The big reason you bolt the safe down is that it is much easier to break into once you knock it over. 40 gun safes don't really hold 40 guns. And you can put more than just your guns in it. Not to mention 30" tall is pretty short for a gun safe.

Today it's a hand gun.. then an AR.. then a scoped rifle...then a shotty ... then a wheel gun. Rinse and repeat. After you have the basics covered you will buy the guns you really don't need, but have always wanted just the same. Like this...

View attachment 276328
Spot on advice. Once you've been bitten by the bug there is no cure (thankfully).

OP,if you do get the job as a cop, you may be able to just buy any glock you want brand new. Full auto AR's.... did you recently move here? You are not aware of this?

It makes me cringe when I think of gun owners who don't ever find this site. Spend some time searching old threads. There is a good chance your question has already been answered. Welcome.

View attachment 276328

Dammit. I already do this with guitars! :rolleyes: :p

OP,if you do get the job as a cop, you may be able to just buy any glock you want brand new. Full auto AR's.... did you recently move here? You are not aware of this?

Only somewhat familiar with the Glock laws; I read all about it when I initially got my LTC but needed the brush up.

Personally I think a first gun should be a general purpose gun. I would get a gun that is simple and boringly reliable, don't overthink it.
Something you can take to the range and build confidence and skill. If you get a too small gun, it's not going to be very pleasant to shoot and therefore you probably aren't going to practice as much as you should.

Also recognize that your first gun is only the first gun. For your second, third, or 34th gun you can branch out in to special purpose guns and fun guns.
A subcompact-carry (Shield, P365, etc) is a great second gun.

Welcome to the gang!

Excellent advice! Get a basic full sized range/homepro gun first, get used to shooting it. A subcompact carry gun should be your second gun. There is no perfect gun for all occasions, you will buy several guns - don’t get stuck on 1.

Re your safe selection: I don’t have any brand or style recommendations; whatever you think you’ll need buy something 4x-5x the size.

Back
Top Bottom