Massachusetts LTC holder, first purchase - where to shop? Glock?

Subject says it all. Located in Mansfield and making any first handgun purchase. Where is the best place to shop? Looking to handle different handguns and get a feel for them. Also looking for some clarity around Glocks - The Gun Parlor website says that carry Glocks but mentions they are "not Massachusetts compliant". If I recall correctly, I'll only be able to purchase a Glock through a personal sale? Thanks in advance!!

I have a gen2 g22 I'll move for 475 Solid shape. If you go to a dealer. Don't go to gun parlor, check out our dealer classifieds here. Better deals and dealers than them. Or once you've handled a few and have an idea, head over to the handgun classifieds and buy from a member. I'll let the others fill you in on the awesomeness of glocks in MA. Welcome and good luck!

First decide on caliber, then what size. Do you want sub compact, compact, or service size? If compact or larger I would suggest a Sig P320c or VP9. Both have good triggers out of the box and are very reliable and easy to shoot.

Don't bother with Glock at this point.

Choose a shop close to you because your going to need more than a gun, It's nice to have a nice shop to pop in on and check things out from time to time.

Welcome to the club.

I recommend trying out a few guns before you buy one, either through friends or at a public range like Mass Firearm School.

I agree with mousegunfan that you need to determine size and caliber. Will it be mostly for home defense or for daily carry. If for daily carry you probably don't want a full size pistol.

I was never a Glock fan until I bought a few, now I appreciate them for what they are: accurate, reliable, durable, easy to clean, tons of aftermarket options, and ugly.

There are plenty of glocks for sale in the classifieds section here.

And remember, if the first pistol you choose isn't working out for you after a couple months you can always sell it and buy something else.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies! I have fairly small hands and am looking for something around the size of a G43 or smaller. I’ve shot a G42 a bunch but am looking to go 9mm. Sorry - I should have provided this info up front!

I tried to locate a shop nearest me with a Google search but was unsuccessful. Gun Parlor came up and Mass Firearms in Holliston but neither are very close.

Thanks for the replies! I have fairly small hands and am looking for something around the size of a G43 or smaller. I’ve shot a G42 a bunch but am looking to go 9mm. Sorry - I should have provided this info up front!

I tried to locate a shop nearest me with a Google search but was unsuccessful. Gun Parlor came up and Mass Firearms in Holliston but neither are very close.
9mm is a good choice. Ammo is relatively cheap and you get more capacity than with larger calibers. I don't know your area well but I personally will never step foot in Gun Parlor.

Welcome to the club.

I recommend trying out a few guns before you buy one, either through friends or at a public range like Mass Firearm School.

I agree with mousegunfan that you need to determine size and caliber. Will it be mostly for home defense or for daily carry. If for daily carry you probably don't want a full size pistol.

I was never a Glock fan until I bought a few, now I appreciate them for what they are: accurate, reliable, durable, easy to clean, tons of aftermarket options, and ugly.

There are plenty of glocks for sale in the classifieds section here.

And remember, if the first pistol you choose isn't working out for you after a couple months you can always sell it and buy something else.

Good luck.

9mm is a good choice. Ammo is relatively cheap and you get more capacity than with larger calibers. I don't know your area well but I personally will never step foot in Gun Parlor.

Great info - exactly why I came here. Thank you!

I may try to find someone knowledgeable to accompany me to Mass Firearms. While I’ve obtained my LTC I’m still a new shooter and am really yearning to learn.

Gartman Arms in Wrentham has a decent selection including some ore ban Glocks.

American Firearms in North Attleboro is a public indoor range you can rent many of the more popular handguns, including Glocks.

That being said, if you’re a MA resident I wouldn’t be stuck on Glock as my first gun. Sure, they’re available private party or pre ban from dealers but you’re severely limiting your options and perhaps it’s better to buy a brand new gun from a dealer, w warranty and all that. You have all the time in the world to buy a Glock, they’re wonderful guns, but a $400sometbing M&P is a fine choice for a first gun to get started.

Congrats!

Mass Firearms is a great place to go and rent some guns to see what you like. American Firearms School is another and both are close to you.
The deal with Glocks is you can buy one face to face and a dealer can sell you one that was owned by a Mass resident and traded in. And cops can buy them new in the box. So lets say your buddy lived in a free state and bought a Glock. If he moved to Mass he can bring his gun and if he wants to sell it he can. Perfectly legal. Magazines with more than a 10 round capacity have to be preban.
There is also a frame transfer, but I will not bury you with details just yet.

Great info - exactly why I came here. Thank you!

I may try to find someone knowledgeable to accompany me to Mass Firearms. While I’ve obtained my LTC I’m still a new shooter and am really yearning to learn.

PM me, I have a corporate membership at MA Firearms and will be happy to take you. And yes, 9mm is a good choice for your first gun. You can rent a Glock and try my Sig P365

Subject says it all. Located in Mansfield and making any first handgun purchase. Where is the best place to shop? Looking to handle different handguns and get a feel for them. Also looking for some clarity around Glocks - The Gun Parlor website says that carry Glocks but mentions they are "not Massachusetts compliant". If I recall correctly, I'll only be able to purchase a Glock through a personal sale? Thanks in advance!!

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Four Seasons in Woburn has a fair number of used Glocks ["Tactical Tupperware"] available at good prices. Check out https://fsguns.com/used/

AFS in North Attelboro is closet to you by far, and for 20 bucks you can rent a lane. You can go shooting right now if you want to. Rentals are cheap and they want you to shoot their ammo, but who cares?
M&P are good guns but most folks spend an extra hundo to have a better trigger installed. The Sheild is a very popular multi use gun. Good for carry, range, home defense etc.

PM me, I have a corporate membership at MA Firearms and will be happy to take you. And yes, 9mm is a good choice for your first gun. You can rent a Glock and try my Sig P365

The Sig P365 would be a good choice for a first 9mm, especially given that OP mentioned he has smaller hands. I just started carrying one as my EDC in place of my Kahr PM9.

AFS in North Attelboro is closet to you by far, and for 20 bucks you can rent a lane. You can go shooting right now if you want to. Rentals are cheap and they want you to shoot their ammo, but who cares?
M&P are good guns but most folks spend an extra hundo to have a better trigger installed. The Sheild is a very popular multi use gun. Good for carry, range, home defense etc.
I forgot about AFS. I recently did my qualification there for RI LTC. Very nice facility and professional staff.

If you’re going to go to AFS to rent a gun you either need to bring your own gun w/ you or bring another person w you. They don’t rent to people who show up alone w/ no gun on them.

I thought the M&P 2.0 didn’t have the crap MA trigger anymore? Maybe I’m wrong. OP, I have a Shield and a P938 you can shoot too.

Okay, so:

Gartman Arms in Wrentham
AFS in North Attleboro
Mass Firearms in Holliston

Thanks everyone - this thread is full of just the info I was looking for. Wasn’t sure how it would go since I’m fairly new but really appreciate the warm welcome! @buckfarack you will be hearing from me soon!

While we’re on a roll, hit me with some safe suggestions! I’m looking into Rhino Metals’ smallest Kodiak but other than that have no solid leads. That one runs about $600. Not looking to skimp on a safe!

Thanks for the replies! I have fairly small hands and am looking for something around the size of a G43 or smaller. I’ve shot a G42 a bunch but am looking to go 9mm. QUOTE]
As a Glock(jock) for many years I'd probably echo the above replies regarding not going Glock on your first carry, since it sounds like you want something withta safety? My wife and kid both have small hands and both LOVE the Ruger LC9s... Go somewhere where they'll let you try one.. The only downside to the gun might be that some folks (like my wife for example) have arthriti/hand mobility issues and even though the LC9s isn't known as having a "difficult rack it can be a challenge for small or arthritic hands (until you learn to rack it like my daughter eventually learned technique is everything and now she's great with it and as mentioned LOVES it)..

I've shot it also and it's a great 9mm carry very compact and holds 7 (plus one in chamber)... If I wasn't so in love with my Glocks, or was told they were all "banished from the Kingdom of Massachusetts and I was forced to carry something else I'd strongly consider the LC9s.

Try it.. you may love it also ...

Mass Firearms has a try before you buy I believe. Wrong on glocks, You can get them from dealers.

Step 1:Get a 9mm compact/full size sized gun from one of the major manufacturers:
Glock G19, Sig p320, S&W M&P 2.0, HK VP9 , CZ p10C/p07c. (if you are going the polymer route)
They are all good. Glock is the most boring (accurate, reliable, durable, inexpensive) and therefore the best [laugh]

Step 2: Buy a case of not total garbage ammo 115gr FMJ (blazer blass, american eagle)

Step 3: Shoot half your case of ammo, and buy another case of ammo.

Step 4: Repeat

Personally I think a first gun should be a general purpose gun. I would get a gun that is simple and boringly reliable, don't overthink it.
Something you can take to the range and build confidence and skill. If you get a too small gun, it's not going to be very pleasant to shoot and therefore you probably aren't going to practice as much as you should.
Also suck it up and buy a case of range ammo from somewhere like target sports so you don't feel the burn of buying a box at a time from the LGS or god forbid the range. Make sure your gun works and learn how to run it and clean it.

Also recognize that your first gun is only the first gun. For your second, third, or 34th gun you can branch out in to special purpose guns and fun guns.
A subcompact-carry (Shield, P365, etc) is a great second gun.

Welcome to the gang!

Getting a Glock is no problem, there are plenty to choose from. The only catch is, how much are you willing to pay over free state Glock's ? A few years back I came across a 3rd Generation G-17 in excellent condition. I bought it even though I knew I would have to spend more than three hundred bucks more than if I could buy it in a free state. It's the price we pay for living in Massachusetts. Good luck with your search.

If you want a good safe and don’t mind spending money for quality and service, then go visit the folks at Easter Securty in mendon.

While you’re up that way stop in and see the guys at AC Arms

Gartman Arms in Wrentham has a decent selection including some ore ban Glocks.

American Firearms in North Attleboro is a public indoor range you can rent many of the more popular handguns, including Glocks.

That being said, if you’re a MA resident I wouldn’t be stuck on Glock as my first gun. Sure, they’re available private party or pre ban from dealers but you’re severely limiting your options and perhaps it’s better to buy a brand new gun from a dealer, w warranty and all that. You have all the time in the world to buy a Glock, they’re wonderful guns, but a $400sometbing M&P is a fine choice for a first gun to get started.

Another vote for AFS: MA Indoor Shooting Range Pistol Rifle American Firearms School. No ties to me whatsoever. But before I got my owns guns, I went there to try out different ones. That was 10 yrs ago or so, so definitely check out their policies to make sure you comply. Sometimes you need to bring a friend, etc.

Go there, see if you can hire an instructor for an hour or so with the purpose of trying as many different guns as you'd like. See what fits your hand, what you love shooting, etc, and then worry about where to shop! Good luck, welcome to the hobby!

CdP

PS - With small hands, SIG makes some great pocket pistols and they're high quality. P238 or 938, etc.... 9mm versions as well.

While we’re on a roll, hit me with some safe suggestions! I’m looking into Rhino Metals’ smallest Kodiak but other than that have no solid leads. That one runs about $600. Not looking to skimp on a safe!

Sorry - why not skimp on a safe? I mean, I have several cheap handgun, and several long gun safes and a locked ammo cabinet. As all my guns are shooters, I've nothing precious or collectable, so I find my need for a serious (e.g. fire resistant, thick, heavy, &c) safe is limited. Any safe can be broken into by determined criminals: a light safe, bolted down in a hidden place that's hard to get leverage on is going to be a decent deterrant.

Consider: where is the safe going? Is this going to be your home defense gun, or do you have/will you get something else? (Tip: don't use a handgun for primary home defense weapon, shotgun or rifle is the state of the art)

If just for storage, it hardly matters, but if for HD: avoid biometrics, dial combinations, and keyed locks. Most people think manual push-buttons are best, I am comfortable enough in having multiple, smaller, (semi-)hidden, electronic ones, in staged defensive locations, with one manual lock and hanger for the HD shotgun. I test them all regularly, and practice defeating the lock and drawing from them on occasion when nobody is around.

Back
Top Bottom