• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Massachusetts LTC holder, first purchase - where to shop? Glock?

God. Please don't get a Ruger SR22. 22LR is just a waste of time IMO for pistol. Get a 9mm and learn on something that you will actually use.

Every time I take the SR22 with me to the range and pop off a few "BB pellets" I ask myself Why?

Check Shooters Supply in Westport. They have some good deals and no FUD.

I don't get all of the SR 22 hate. It's a great range gun and fun to shoot for hours on end and cheap to shoot.

That said, Iwould not recommend it for a first gun though. G19 is the perfect all around (big enough to enable soft recoil small enough to carry). Can be used as a range gun, carry piece and an HD weapon

I don't get all of the SR 22 hate. It's a great range gun and fun to shoot for hours on end and cheap to shoot.

That said, Iwould not recommend it for a first gun though. G19 is the perfect all around (big enough to enable soft recoil small enough to carry). Can be used as a range gun, carry piece and an HD weapon

This is my frame of thinking as well. I know it’s something I can bang rounds out of at the range, carry if need be, etc.

It's hard to buy your first gun because it is an investment and you're trying to get something to fill multiple needs. Just trust that it won't be your last or only gun you ever buy, especially if you're a member here.

Usually when you get something that tries to fill multiple needs, it usually fails at almost all of them and you end up buying 3 things to replace that one.

I will say though that a G19 is a rule bender/breaker. It actually does a decent job at filling multiple needs. It's not the BEST at HD, Range, or Carry, but it does them all fairly well.

If I ever had to just grab one handgun and run, it would be a G19.

I'll sing the praises of pretty much any Tupperware wonder or any of the staple steel guns except the XD series. You can keep your grip safety (I accept it on the 1911 for what it is), bad magazine hunk of junks that somehow cost the same as other options now when they didn't used to.
You have to be open to the idea that there may be a woman substituted if the men are not available. [laugh]
There will never be that substitute and you'll always have that one dude just lining up for his cuddles.
No price matching?
Probably not, FS rides the specials and sales that companies offer and buys in very large bulk. You might get a little more of a deal, but aren't going to come close with a lot of shops. That being said I don't go to FS for new guns only stuff I see on their used section of their website at occasionally great prices or harder to find.

GUYS, DON’T WORRY. I bought two.

Imagine my wife’s surprise when, after two years of having my LTC and telling me she doesn’t want a gun in the house, she finally tells me last weekend I can get a gun so then I go and come home with NOT ONE but two. Lolllllllll. She actually was pretty cool about it but I was definitely shitting my pants when she pulled in the driveway and I was in the garage getting stuff organized.

Anyway, I ended up with a Gen 4 Glock 19 FS and a Sig P365. I actually went for a Gen 5 Glock 19 but the Gen 5s don’t have finger grooves on the grip and I much prefer them. In addition, the FS model comes with upgraded metal nights sights and the slide release extension - which I was already planning to buy and put on. Sold.

The Glock will be my primary range gun. It fits more like a full size gun in my particularly small hands and I know I can bring it to the range and just bang out mag after mag. It’ll also double for home defense. Plus, if I have to carry it? I probably can. Officially taking recommendations for the slimmest Glock 19 IWB holster you know of.

The P365 will come to the range so I can become and stay proficient with it. Otherwise, this little boo will be my carry. It sits nicely off the back of my right hip. I actually carried it for the first time today kinda by accident. Well - half carried as it wasn’t loaded. I had to run into Dick’s to grab a temp safe because mine is arriving later than expected and I realized I had to bring both pistols with me. So I threw the Glock in my backpack in its case and holstered the 365 on my hip. In I went. I’ll designate the temp safe for ammo once my actual safe arrives.

So that’s that. I ultimately realized l wasn’t going to be able to cover both needs/wants with one pistol. As much as everyone is wants to be able to do that, it wasn’t gonna work for me. I also don’t half-ass things so I made the financial sacrifice and did it the way I thought was best. Can’t wait to get some rounds through these.

DAF8145D-105E-47CE-AC9F-EC0C0BD3963E.jpeg ED9CADC2-224B-4FD3-BE11-817B3F70F043.jpeg ADFB3305-8809-4D4E-8A40-10DB4E75385D.jpeg

Imagine my wife’s surprise when, after two years of having my LTC and telling me she doesn’t want a gun in the house, she finally tells me last weekend I can get a gun so then I go and come home with NOT ONE but two. Lolllllllll. She actually was pretty cool about it but I was definitely shitting my pants when she pulled in the driveway and I was in the garage getting stuff organized.

Anyway, I ended up with a Gen 4 Glock 19 FS and a Sig P365. I actually went for a Gen 5 Glock 19 but the Gen 5s don’t have finger grooves on the grip and I much prefer them. In addition, the FS model comes with upgraded metal nights sights and the slide release extension - which I was already planning to buy and put on. Sold.

The Glock will be my primary range gun. It fits more like a full size gun in my particularly small hands and I know I can bring it to the range and just bang out mag after mag. It’ll also double for home defense. Plus, if I have to carry it? I probably can. Officially taking recommendations for the slimmest Glock 19 IWB holster you know of.

The P365 will come to the range so I can become and stay proficient with it. Otherwise, this little boo will be my carry. It sits nicely off the back of my right hip. I actually carried it for the first time today kinda by accident. Well - half carried as it wasn’t loaded. I had to run into Dick’s to grab a temp safe because mine is arriving later than expected and I realized I had to bring both pistols with me. So I threw the Glock in my backpack in its case and holstered the 365 on my hip. In I went. I’ll designate the temp safe for ammo once my actual safe arrives.

So that’s that. I ultimately realized l wasn’t going to be able to cover both needs/wants with one pistol. As much as everyone is wants to be able to do that, it wasn’t gonna work for me. I also don’t half-ass things so I made the financial sacrifice and did it the way I thought was best. Can’t wait to get some rounds through these.

View attachment 277222 View attachment 277223 View attachment 277224
Awesome, peer pressure from the site got to you?

Nicely done

Although, you should know that Dicks isn’t a very popular place among many of us. Their anti 2A stance has kept me out of their doors for the last few years.

Nicely done

Although, you should know that Dicks isn’t a very popular place among many of us. Their anti 2A stance has kept me out of their doors for the last few years.

Yes, I’m aware. Needed something in a pinch so my wife didn’t go off the deep end as one of her stipulations was, “Always locked up.” And then there’s that whole thing where I came home with 50% more guns than I planned. Lol

Two good choices. Congrats!

I always buy a new pjholster for every gun I buy, but much like pistols it comes down to personal preference. I used to carry @ 4 o'clock but switched to appendix years ago and will never go back. Even for my G17. 4 o'clock was never comfortable for me.

For your p365 you can get away using any belt, but you may need a real gun belt to handle the weight of the G19.

Also, when I bought my p365 I put the flush mag in the back of the safe and bought 3 more with the pinky extension. Two for the range bag and two loaded with carry ammo.

View attachment 277222 View attachment 277223 View attachment 277224
Where did u get the 365? Price? I thought Dicks pulled all hunting gun related items.

:emoji_face_palm:

Where did u get the 365? Price? I thought Dicks pulled all hunting gun related items.

Came from Gartman in Wrentham - $594.99 plus tax. They had a decent selection of safes and safe accessories.

Now you need to go to the range frequently for a LOOOONG time. Come home, talk about how much fun you had, and how you wish she was there. Eventually she will come. Shoot with you. And then get bitten by the bug.
MUUUUAAAHAHAHAH!

EXACTLY my plan. [devil]

Nicely done. Nice to see more new handguns in Massachusetts that aren't on approved list

I take full credit for this by the way

As you should, sir! [thumbsup]

Bravo Concealment and Alex and Ryan Design are my favorite holsters. I started with leather and switched to all kydex which really helped carrying and practicing. The 2/1 holster bundle bravo does is a great value. AnR is a little more expensive but has more options. Both are geared toward appendix carry but their holsters can be used behind the hip as well.

Two great choices on pistols too. The G19 is absolutely small enough to carry and the rail makes it great for HD. The P365 is the slickest rig on the block right now and for good reason.

I would say most don’t get it right the first time around but it seems like you have.

With a 2 gun purchase it sounds like you'll be in this for the long haul. Don't completely write off the P320 just yet if you plan on another purchase down the road.

The P320c is sold, default, with the medium size grip module. I brought my wife to the range and let her shoot my p320rx compact 9mm with the medium grip and she hated it. She said it felt like she didnt have much control of it in her hands.

Recently I acquired a P320c in 45 and it came with the small grip module. My wife was curious after I shot so well with it (I destroyed her in target "battleship") a couple weeks ago that she begged me to try it. Now it looks as though I need a new 45 because she informed me that this P320 is now hers. A small grip module could make a world of difference if you have small hands.

I’ll also add: one thing most noobs overlook is a belt. A stiff belt holds up your holster better than any department store can. I have Hanks Gunner belt and a Kore Essentials. Both are good, but the Hanks has not had the longevity I’d have liked, about 3 years of daily wear before it was limp like any other belt. I haven’t had the Kore more than 4 months so i can’t say a lot about it.

Not long ago I was the noob described above.

I’ll also add: one thing most noobs overlook is a belt. A stiff belt holds up your holster better than any department store can. I have Hanks Gunner belt and a Kore Essentials. Both are good, but the Hanks has not had the longevity I’d have liked, about 3 years of daily wear before it was limp like any other belt. I haven’t had the Kore more than 4 months so i can’t say a lot about it.

Not long ago I was the noob described above.

I’ve actually been researching belts for the past hour - looking for a VERY casual reversible leather belt. Something that looks like it came from Gap but just reinforced. Black on one side and brown on the other would be perfect. Suggestions appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom