IDPA, what do you shoot??

I'm going to give you a positive rep for having your first post without the word Glock in it.

I think Dave needs to change his screen name on here from LugNut to GlockNut... He's got issues... I think he's afraid that if he steps up to a metal gun and he doesn't win he won't be able to blame the gun. However, if he's shooting a Glock and doesn't win he can just say it's because it's a cheap ugly gun. HAHA

I do it because it's more fun than standing at a range. My goal is still to not come in last again. Lol

I think Dave needs to change his screen name on here from LugNut to GlockNut... He's got issues... I think he's afraid that if he steps up to a metal gun and he doesn't win he won't be able to blame the gun. However, if he's shooting a Glock and doesn't win he can just say it's because it's a cheap ugly gun. HAHA

Sure I have issues-- but a little sunburn doesn't keep me from a match! [smile]

Last edited:
We could pee online for hours, but you are happy and I am happy so that's all that matters to me. Having been a CQB Instructor in the Marine Corps I appreciate some of the little things tactically speaking, about IDPA. But that doesn't mean they are right or the only way to do things, but I tend to think they are. IDPA is more rigid in rules and intended to be closer to real life defense scenarios. Use of cover, retention of magazines, cover garments and equipment of a type that would be appropriate for daily carry are all very closely regulated. No cowboys with arcade racing guns that are not practical. IPSC allows a more free form solution to the scenarios presented. Carry all the ammo you want, reload when and where you want, drop your mags, don't use cover if you don't want to. Very sloppy.

And most importantly, too me, I prefer to not spend thousands of dollars on racing guns that I'll never carry in real life.

In the end, they are both games.

Good luck with yours.....

I appreciate your service with the military. However, if I had to put money on things Supermoto is at a completely different level in shooting that I'm sure you're at. I've never met you and I know nothing of your skill. If you're a great shooter I can still be Supermoto is better. I've met people who are great shooters and I've met people like Supermoto that are amazing shooters.

USPSA has a higher talent pool than IDPA. I like both but prefer USPSA for the higher round counts, better scoring system, and the ability to solve a stage in infinite ways. IDPA has much lower round counts and typically only a few ways to shoot a stage.

I do think IDPA is less intimidating for newer shooters and it's a great sport. USPSA can intimidate newer shooters because the speed at which we are able to shoot at.

Anyways, no pissing contest here just pointing out some of my "OPINIONS."

do you like the G17?? I am looking for a 17, or 19..

Obviously I'm not Steve but I shoot with him and know he likes the 17. Much to Supermoto's chagrin I'll mention that I think the "Glock" is a great IDPA gun. Before you go and invest in anything try out some of the guns other folks have... most shooters would have no problem letting someone put a few rounds thru their gun.... not that there's anything wrong with buying a bunch to have. [smile]

Wrt the USPSA vs IDPA thing... I think the USPSA guys just think they are a better breed. [rofl] They make fun of IDPA so much but the vast majority of their CLASSIFIERS are just like IDPA stages... hmmm Go figure![smile]

I appreciate your service with the military. However, if I had to put money on things Supermoto is at a completely different level in shooting that I'm sure you're at. I've never met you and I know nothing of your skill. If you're a great shooter I can still be Supermoto is better. I've met people who are great shooters and I've met people like Supermoto that are amazing shooters.

USPSA has a higher talent pool than IDPA. I like both but prefer USPSA for the higher round counts, better scoring system, and the ability to solve a stage in infinite ways. IDPA has much lower round counts and typically only a few ways to shoot a stage.

I do think IDPA is less intimidating for newer shooters and it's a great sport. USPSA can intimidate newer shooters because the speed at which we are able to shoot at.

Anyways, no pissing contest here just pointing out some of my "OPINIONS."

Thanks for your opinion, but keep your money in your pocket, Pete.

Good luck.

I've mostly shot my Browning Hi-Power for a while. I shot a few matches with my M&P 9c recently and shot it better. I'm planning to get a M&P 9 Pro eventually.

I use a Glock 34.
I transition well to the Glock 26 that I carry.

I have an M&P Pro 9 on the way at some point.

And at some point I'll turn to USPSA

CDP - 1911 or XD-45 or Glock 21
SSP - Beretta 92fs or XD-45 or Glock 21 or Glock 27
ESP - Browning Hi Power or XD-45 or Glock 21
SSR - S&W 686 (357 loads)
ESR - S&W 625

IDPA is not like real life, no one shoots back[smile]

S&W 908 in ESP. This is my everyday gun so eventhough it only holds 8 round of 9mm in the mag. I still use it in IDPA.

Last edited:
I took a local USPSA match result and recalculated the standing in Production division by applying IDPA's time + points down scoring method.

I took each USPSA's participant's time and added a time penalty calculated as their stage points lost X .5 (IDPA scoring). The guy who took first using USPSA scoring (blazing fast time but many PD) ended third using IDPA scoring.

Proof enough for me that USPSA scoring favors speed over accuracy while IDPA is the inverse.

USPSA has a varying Hit factor, target values change depending on the amount of time a stage will take, the points available and the skill of the shooter. IDPA places the same value on all targets, for all shooters. In IDPA it is always worth taking the time to make up a -1 shot, USPSA will depend on the HF of the stage and the shooters ability to make up that points in less time than they are worth.

Both sport require top shooters to get A's or 0 in the shortest amount of time possible

I took a local USPSA match result and recalculated the standing in Production division by applying IDPA's time + points down scoring method.

I took each USPSA's participant's time and added a time penalty calculated as their stage points lost X .5 (IDPA scoring). The guy who took first using USPSA scoring (blazing fast time but many PD) ended third using IDPA scoring.

Proof enough for me that USPSA scoring favors speed over accuracy while IDPA is the inverse.
The only "PROOF" in your statement, if your statement is true, is that recalculating USPSA scores using IDPA standards "MAY" alter the order of finish in any given USPSA match. Not that it would, but that it may.

Recalculating USPSA scores using IDPA standards does not transfer the actual hits from the USPSA targets to the IDPA targets, that means your “Recalculated” scores are not even necessarily accurate.

jkelly

USPSA has a varying Hit factor, target values change depending on the amount of time a stage will take, the points available and the skill of the shooter. IDPA places the same value on all targets, for all shooters. In IDPA it is always worth taking the time to make up a -1 shot, USPSA will depend on the HF of the stage and the shooters ability to make up that points in less time than they are worth.

Both sport require top shooters to get A's or 0 in the shortest amount of time possible

+1 In production or anything scored at minor- you can't afford to not hit As. You can afford "some" sloppiness with high HF stages but a couple Cs is only a little more than half a couple of As!

That's the beauty of each sport... you need to push yourself to get good shots... but how much to slow down to get the sight picture you need is always the challenge... and the fun!

Oh- wrt to scoring with IDPA vs USPSA- Hit a no shoot in USPSA- you are toast- Shoot thrus don't count so you effectively loose 25 points! IDPA is 5 secs but you can hit a no shoot as many times as you like for the same 5 secs....

This is completely inaccurate though because the scoring zone is complely different from USPSA to IDPA. Anyone can shoot accurately but to shoot accurately QUICKLY that is a much more difficult skill.

USPSA doesn't favor speed OVER accuracy it favors speed AND accuracy. You can't shoot misses fast enough to win. However, in IDPA you can shoot a stage really slowly and still win. Doesn't make sense. Talk to almost any Professional shooting competitor and 99% of them favor the USPSA scoring all the way.

However, in IDPA you can shoot a stage really slowly and still win. Doesn't make sense.

Funny how all you USPSA guys are such experts at IDPA... when you don't compete in it![rolleyes]

The concept is no different in IPDA as it is in USPSA- if you go fast and shoot a lot of bad shots, you can lose to someone that shot it slightly slower but cleaner. The variable that changes is in USPSA the "cost" of a bad shot changes depending on the hit factors. In IDPA it is the same "cost" as Supermoto did mention.

Instead of focusing on which one is better and blah, blah, blah, why don't you just emphasize that its ALWAYS best to shoot FAST and CLEAN. Trading off accuracy for speed is the challenge in both, abeit slightly different

Back
Top Bottom