IDPA, what do you shoot??

I'm just wondering what everyone shoots in the competitions. I am using my M&P 9c, but I don't think I'm going to stick with it.. So, what do you all use??

G17

I started with a full size M&P9, but soon switched to the Glock. It just works better for me.

Steve

I started off using the Glock 26 that I carried at the time, it worked good, but it was too small for my hands.

I traded that gun for the exact opposite of the spectrum and I got a HK45 -- what a sled that thing was and too big for me to carry.

I now have a Kimber Custom Compact in .45 that I'l be using when I get my arse back in the game.

But I'm looking for a Berretta 92 type for a backup/alternate, and in particular I can work on them and have the parts to do so.

I'm relatively new to IDPA but I shoot an M&P 9 compact as well, which is also my primary carry gun. My reasoning is while IDPA is competition, for me it is first and foremost a method of regular practice in the mechanics of the particular pistol I'm carrying. It gives me a chance to practice loading, operating, drawing, and in the rarer cases malfunction clearing, that pistol under some mild form of stress on a very regular basis.

So I'd say it definitely depends on what your goals for IDPA are.

I'm relatively new to IDPA but I shoot an M&P 9 compact as well, which is also my primary carry gun. My reasoning is while IDPA is competition, for me it is first and foremost a method of regular practice in the mechanics of the particular pistol I'm carrying. It gives me a chance to practice loading, operating, drawing, and in the rarer cases malfunction clearing, that pistol under some mild form of stress on a very regular basis.

So I'd say it definitely depends on what your goals for IDPA are.

I am also very new to the sport. The M&P is also my carry gun right now. My goal is to not come in last place[laugh]

Two camps- one does it for competition, the other for gun handling skills for defense use.

I compete. It's a game to me and only that. In real combat time is important but not the way I compete. A G34/G17 is best for me in this regard.

In either case... you need to find what works best for you. Fit/handling of the gun is significant... in addition to reliability of course.

I am also very new to the sport. The M&P is also my carry gun right now. My goal is to not come in last place[laugh]
That's my goal too.[smile]
I pretty much shoot ESP or CDP, when I bring all my equipment.

1911 45 ACP, 40 S&W and 9mm-I don’t want to shoot in CDP so mostly 9mm.
CZ-75B 40 S&W and 9mm-Not so much anymore.
Colt Defender 45 ACP-A lot of fun for BUG matches.
Para C745 45 ACP-Hate the trigger.
S&W 952 9mm-Smooth, but it has a safety on the slide (slow)
S&W 945 45 ACP-Smooth, but it is too heavy for CDP
(Maybe Others)

Respectfully,
jkelly

Does anyone see revolvers in use at IDPA, or is there a different category or competition involving only revolvers? I'm interested in getting started with IDPA and would like to use either the wheel gun or 9mm.

Does anyone see revolvers in use at IDPA, or is there a different category or competition involving only revolvers? I'm interested in getting started with IDPA and would like to use either the wheel gun or 9mm.
Yes some people shoot revolvers. There are two Divisions in IDPA for revolvers, ESR for moon clip guns (like S&W 625s) and SSR for speed loader guns (like S&W 686s).

A 9mm semiautomatic would be shot in either ESP or SSP depending on the action.

If you'd like more infromation just ask.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I'm new (3 club matches so far) and I shoot an M&P9 full size. I also have a M&P9c that I'll probably try once I get my wife to come to a match (she likes the full size better). If she starts shoot regularly I may get another full size and get a 9L slide/barrel/recoil assembly for it.

I'm new (3 club matches so far) and I shoot an M&P9 full size. I also have a M&P9c that I'll probably try once I get my wife to come to a match (she likes the full size better). If she starts shoot regularly I may get another full size and get a 9L slide/barrel/recoil assembly for it.

And your doing well!

More rounds isn't the answer

USPSA (IPSC) is very revolver friendly, It is more gun friendly than IDPA, why? because you get to shoot more rounds

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a huge fan of IPSC if you can't tell. A lot of good shooters compete in it, but it's not for me. It's like airsoft, good for some, not for others. Any way, I used to watch them compete in IPSC matches when I worked the range down in Virgina, and I have some good friends who do it and I respect them as shooters.

However, gun friendly to me is about about shot placement, not round count. [grin]

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a huge fan of IPSC if you can't tell. A lot of good shooters compete in it, but it's not for me. It's like airsoft, good for some, not for others. Any way, I used to watch them compete in IPSC matches when I worked the range down in Virgina, and I have some good friends who do it and I respect them as shooters.

However, gun friendly to me is about about shot placement, not round count. [grin]

IDPA is closer to airsoft, with its Tactical Timmy's and scenario based stages, pretending to live out some far fetched fantasy. Plus there is no thought involved. You have to shoot the stage as the MD says. Everyone shoots it the same, so boring

Shot placement is about skill, round count is about fun. Put them together you have USPSA. Who wants to go to a match with low round count stages.

Oh, do you want to have a pissing contest online, how fun....lol

IDPA is closer to airsoft, with its Tactical Timmy's and scenario based stages, pretending to live out some far fetched fantasy. Plus there is no thought involved. You have to shoot the stage as the MD says. Everyone shoots it the same, so boring

Shot placement is about skill, round count is about fun. Put them together you have USPSA. Who wants to go to a match with low round count stages.

We could pee online for hours, but you are happy and I am happy so that's all that matters to me. Having been a CQB Instructor in the Marine Corps I appreciate some of the little things tactically speaking, about IDPA. But that doesn't mean they are right or the only way to do things, but I tend to think they are. IDPA is more rigid in rules and intended to be closer to real life defense scenarios. Use of cover, retention of magazines, cover garments and equipment of a type that would be appropriate for daily carry are all very closely regulated. No cowboys with arcade racing guns that are not practical. IPSC allows a more free form solution to the scenarios presented. Carry all the ammo you want, reload when and where you want, drop your mags, don't use cover if you don't want to. Very sloppy.

And most importantly, too me, I prefer to not spend thousands of dollars on racing guns that I'll never carry in real life.

In the end, they are both games.

Good luck with yours.....

We could pee online for hours, but you are happy and I am happy so that's all that matters to me. Having been a CQB Instructor in the Marine Corps I appreciate some of the little things about IDPA. But that doesn't mean they are right or the only way to do things, but I tend to think they are. IDPA is more rigid in rules and intended to be closer to real life defense scenarios. Use of cover, retention of magazines, cover garments and equipment of a type that would be appropriate for daily carry are all very closely regulated. No cowboys with arcade racing guns that are not practical. IPSC allows a more free form solution to the scenarios presented. Carry all the ammo you want, reload when and where you want, drop your mags, don't use cover if you don't want to. Very sloppy.

And most importantly, too me, I prefer to not spend thousands of dollars on racing guns that I'll never carry in real life.

In the end, they are both games.

Good luck with yours.....

If people feel that IDPA is closer to real life, you would think there would be an emphasis on the ability to problem solve, think on your feet. But it is the exact opposite.
In IPSC, you don't need to a race gun to compete, shoot a 1911 in single stack or a production gun.

If people feel that IDPA is closer to real life, you would think there would be an emphasis on the ability to problem solve, think on your feet. But it is the exact opposite.
In IPSC, you don't need to a race gun to compete, shoot a 1911 in single stack or a production gun.

Honesty, my biggest issue with IPSC is the racing guns, tactics and gear retention.

But to each his own.

And just for clarification, I have shot in shooting competitions where we only fired 5 rounds, so, like I said round count doesn't make the shooter, or the competition. Shot placement does...

Last edited:
I like IDPA - I typically shoot SSP, but do sometime shoot in other divisions.

CDP - Sig 220 .45ACP
SSP - Sig 226 9mm
ESR - S&W 625 .45ACP

Folks wanting to get into IDPA - come on out to Worcester Pistol and Rifle Club second Saturday of the month and join us!!

My goal is to not come in last place[laugh]

Changing guns is not going to make a whole lot of difference when you are a beginner.

FWIW, my primary IDPA guns are a S&W Model 65 or 64. Second to them is my M&P9. Now that I am set up to reload 9 mm, it might get more use. Occasionally I will use one of my Model 29s.

there is no thought involved. You have to shoot the stage as the MD says. Everyone shoots it the same, so boring

That is by far my biggest problem with IDPA. I wish they would keep all their rules regarding cover and reloads, but ditch the procedure crap. So long as what you do is tactically sound (use cover when available, etc), one should be free to solve the problem.

By its very nature IDPA will never be as free form as USPSA, but there is no need for its current constipation.

Secondary to that is the fact that whoever thought up IDPA's speedloader and moonclip position rules evidently has never carried a revolver in real life.]

On the plus side, IDPA's scoring system is FAR better than USPSA's complicated ordeal.

Unfortunately, members have zero say in internal IDPA matters. I would not go as far as calling IDPA members such, more like contributors to Wilson Combat's bottom line.

PS, I am an IDPA "member".

Last edited by a moderator:

I should give you a negative rep point just to annoy you! [rofl]

I like both. They each emphasize different things.... they are just different games.

45acp

I'm not shooting this season, hope to be back next year.

I have a 1911DK and a 945 and use them, both seem to fit my hands

and shoot well for me.

Find something that feels good and shoots well.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom