• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Channel 5 News - Boston - Pepper Spray

Are you serious?? Why aren't you on the phone to the home numbers of your reps? Your ass is on the line as much as anyone else's, stand up and do something about it. Amongst the 5 people is ONE political lobbyist, the rest are support staff.

15,000-20,000 members paying 5 people to do their work for them?

That's all GOAL is? Just 5 people? Lol guys... No wonder your gun laws suck. 5 folks against an army of anti-gun bureaucrats can only do so much. Even with 20,000 cheerleaders behind them.

Last edited:
15,000-20,000 members paying 5 people to do their work for them?

That's all GOAL is? Just 5 people? Lol guys... No wonder your gun laws suck. 5 folks against an army of anti-gun bureaucrats can only do so much.

I belong to GONH. have you joined GOAL?

If Goal has 20k members, that's one out of 20 gun owners in MA.

That's great! Do you join orgs in states where you have no vested interest as well? If so, consider donating to Calguns out on the West Coast. They have the effort part down... But can always use additional funds.

Last edited:
Anyone watch this? I even set my watch but don't usually watch tv news and just shut it off. Didn't find any mention on their website.

That's great! Do you join orgs in states where you have no vested interest as well? .
No, nor do I post in threads about them.

Last edited:
ATM security could be increased by duress codes - a standard feature on some entry systems and safe locks. A duress code is a secondary PIN that works, but also triggers a silent alarm.

And, it doesn't take a gov't regulation - if one major bank starts doing this, the others will probably feel a need to do so as well to compete.

You're kidding right? How is this different from handing out whistles?

Why don't they just buy ACME ATM's that have a fist that punches the perp in the face? /sarcasm

Fun fact. Most of the ATMs that you see with a camera... it's just a facade. Shine a flashlight into where you think the camera is. Most of the time it's just empty. Anytime I've had an investigation for a robbery or assault at an ATM, no camera footage to be had.

Why don't they just buy ACME ATM's that have a fist that punches the perp in the face? /sarcasm

Security doesn't begin and end with a firearm. How would it hurt to have different options available to get help on the way?

They never showed the report. Maybe they will save it for another time.

I saw the promo for it too.... then looked all over their website for it. You know they are getting some heat; at the end of the day the city of boston and the police commissioner are not letting women protect themselves. That is not a news story for the the boston media wants to put out.

It is by no means a suggestion that this is a substitute for defensive sidearms. The concept of a "silent alarm" is common, and storekeepers don't avoid them because they are no more effective than whistles.

Look who is supporting the bill: https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H2145

Petitioners: Kimberly N. Ferguson, Bradley H. Jones, Danielle W. Gregoire, Carlos Henriquez, Steven S. Howitt, Marc T. Lombardo, Anne M. Gobi, Angelo L. D'Emilia, Sheila C. Harrington, Tom Sannicandro, Matthew A. Beaton, Randy Hunt, Christine E. Canavan, Todd M. Smola, F. J. Barrows, Peter J. Durant, Martha M. Walz, George N. Peterson, Keiko M. Orrall, Walter F. Timilty, Daniel B. Winslow, Ryan C. Fattman, Thomas J. Calter, Bruce E. Tarr, Kevin J. Kuros, David T. Vieira

Since the bill does NOT amend C. 269 S. 10, where it calls out the illegality of weapons being carried on school property, a judge/AG will rule that since it is not specifically allowed that it is illegal (that's their rationale from the AG wrt handling a machine gun even with supervision of a licensee). 269-10 needs to be amended too to clearly state that carrying OC on school property IS ALLOWED! Otherwise the majority who might carry OC and most benefit from that won't be able to legally.

I saw the promo for it too.... then looked all over their website for it. You know they are getting some heat; at the end of the day the city of boston and the police commissioner are not letting women protect themselves. That is not a news story for the the boston media wants to put out.
Assume Davis goes along with the Mayor's wishes.

Don't assume he like it.

they just did a report on channel 5 about a guy and his son getting sprayed with pepper spray in Manchester N.H.. I guess just a reminder to the MA sheep how dangerous it is.

This story I assume is in response to all the assaults on women in the South End of late--including the murder of that one poor young woman--and I saw they were handing out...whistles.

Yeah, that will stop a murderous rapist. A friggin' whistle.

Security doesn't begin and end with a firearm. How would it hurt to have different options available to get help on the way?

Right, because that alarm is like ringing the bell for a bell hop at a hotel they show up instantly. Who are you kidding? Me or yourself. And I never said a gun was the be all end all, expecting the police to magically show up is delusional at best though.

This story I assume is in response to all the assaults on women in the South End of late--including the murder of that one poor young woman--and I saw they were handing out...whistles.

Not so many young women in the South End. - it's more of a men with purses neighborhood.

South Boston was traditionally a blue color part of town. During the busing crisis it was "the poorest predominantly white urban neighborhood in North America.". It first became popular because it was cheap. Then people discovered its a peninsula that juts into Boston Harbor, with beaches, sea breezes, and good access to the Mass Pike and Red Line. They also stop redlining the housing projects so there was more diversity of race and national origin.

The South End has a terrific collection of restaurants though - a lot more hip and diverse than the North End. It's kind of stuck between downtown, the financial district, and the highway and that's what people like about it. It's a lot more affluent than South Boston, even now.

I wonder how long it will be before you need a permit in Boston to carry a "little blue whistle"? [thinking]

Not so many young women in the South End. - it's more of a men with purses neighborhood.
Let them use the "little blue whistles" as well. No reason to discriminate.

South Boston was traditionally a blue color part of town. During the busing crisis it was "the poorest predominantly white urban neighborhood in North America.". It first became popular because it was cheap. Then people discovered its a peninsula that juts into Boston Harbor, with beaches, sea breezes, and good access to the Mass Pike and Red Line. They also stop redlining the housing projects so there was more diversity of race and national origin.

The South End has a terrific collection of restaurants though - a lot more hip and diverse than the North End. It's kind of stuck between downtown, the financial district, and the highway and that's what people like about it. It's a lot more affluent than South Boston, even now.

South Boston took off as a place to live much earlier than did the South End. Even the lower end of Southie is now considered prime real estate. For much of my 34 years working in Boston the South End was the site of one failed gentrification project after another. A developer would buy a run down five story brownstone, gut it, then go bankrupt. It was the home of multiple flop houses, one step up from a homeless shelter. There are still half way houses, homeless housing, and other not so desirable tenants stuck between the million dollar condos.

I won't comment on the diversifying of the housing projects, just suffice it to say that I've been in everyone in the city and have seen what diversity looks like close up.

Yup, and if GOAL has 20k members paying $30/year (it's less if you join for multiple years), that's $600k. That's not much money to pay 5 people, rent office space and cover other expenses. The last number I heard for licensed gun owners in MA is 330k so only one in 16.5 is a GOAL member and that's being optimistic on the numbers.

People keep bitching that GOAL isn't doing anything. By contrast, I'm surprised GOAL actually can do anything.

My rep introduced H2128, which was released with H2145 favorably from the public safety committee. I spoke with her in person about it a few weeks ago and she said that it was looking promising on these bills. Similar bills from the senate were attached and released favorably. She indicated that police departments have been advocating these bills, as apparently a lot of them feel that a issuing a mace FID is a gigantic waste of their resources. Now they are in Ways and Means committee.

H2128 removes the licencing requirement, and H2145 remove OC spray from the definition of "ammunition". I can't see passing one without the other, what good is not requiring a license for possession but requiring a license for purchase or vice versa.

How the heck did it get so heavily regulated in this state anyway? Was there some incident where criminals were using it or something? I'm confused because most other states I have ever traveled in have it readily available with no special license necessary.

The thugs in this state(politicians)don't want the peasants to become independent. They want them to remain dependent on the govt. Remember self-help is discouraged in this state and others like it.

How the heck did it get so heavily regulated in this state anyway? Was there some incident where criminals were using it or something? I'm confused because most other states I have ever traveled in have it readily available with no special license necessary.

The thugs in this state(politicians)don't want the peasants to become independent. They want them to remain dependent on the govt. Remember self-help is discouraged in this state and others like it.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that, but usually they leverage some incident to get the sheep on board easily with this stuff like they did in CT with the Newtown shooting.

The sad and pathetic thing about this is that these people would freely (for the most part) deprive any one of us our rigths to defend ourselves with the only real equalizer and they are all up in arms now when they are afraid to get mace.

Maybe, just maybe and it's a long shot, this could be a catalyst for some small positive change. BTW where the hell is GOAL on this? Nowhere to be seen from what I'm seeing.
Maybe you should start looking more closely before complaining?

Now is time to get this passed, not to politicize a tragic event but its now or never. Even the sheep in Boston might support this. Beside [strike=""]GOAL has said nothing on this[/strike] I haven't bothered to see if GOAL has done anything on this, which is ridiculous.
Fixed that for you.

Fun fact. Most of the ATMs that you see with a camera... it's just a facade. Shine a flashlight into where you think the camera is. Most of the time it's just empty. Anytime I've had an investigation for a robbery or assault at an ATM, no camera footage to be had.

And yet, if you believe the tripe handed out on CSI, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, NCIS, etc, etc, there's a camera in every ATM, gas station, candy store and hot dog cart, all in perfect operation condition with HDMI cameras and not 20 year old VHS cameras with 20 year old video tapes that have been recorded over 10,000 times. [rolleyes]

And yet, if you believe the tripe handed out on CSI, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, NCIS, etc, etc, there's a camera in every ATM, gas station, candy store and hot dog cart, all in perfect operation condition with HDMI cameras and not 20 year old VHS cameras with 20 year old video tapes that have been recorded over 10,000 times. [rolleyes]

Enhance, Enhance, Enhance

Maybe you should start looking more closely before complaining?

Fixed that for you.

Sure that may be true in some cases, but that trend is changing VERY quickly! There is scarcely a minute in your day that you are NOT on camera somewhere when you are outside of your home.

People keep bitching that GOAL isn't doing anything. By contrast, I'm surprised GOAL actually can do anything.

Yeah, I'm not paying to join an organization to be surprised when they do something....

I don't see them becoming ultra-effective even if they had every firearm owner in MA on their donor list, so I don't join.

Back
Top Bottom