• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what is the best pepper spray to carry?

paul73

NES Member
so, wife just asked me - and shame to me - don`t know. what is the answer for that in 2023?
probably needs to be split into 2 parts - one for the belt, other for the purse.

12ga loads are not to be included. :)

Consider whether you want the aerosol, stream or gel first. Do you know the difference? Can you get practice cans with whatever for whichever one you decide on?
i did not ask to consider - merely re-posted a question from my wife. :) no, will not practice. pepper shit sucks and makes you cry.
i more or less know guns, but, do not know pepper.

are there different brands there, some more, some less reliable, what do people buy?

i did not ask to consider - merely re-posted a question from my wife. :) no, will not practice. pepper shit sucks and makes you cry.
i more or less know guns, but, do not know pepper.
Practice cans shoot water, hence why I think it is important to consider their availability.

Pretty sure they have the option of a dye in them too, so it can leave its mark on an attacker in more ways than one. Not sure if that's an option with just the gel, or both gel and spray.

I carry Fox Pepper Spray On me, in the car at home.

I carry Fox Pepper Spray On me, in the car at home.
we just got back from MSF safety course as wife finally decided to get her ltc. took a long time.

one of things the instructor spoke there was the defense strategy for those who live in apartments, a part that i kinda dig now, is to have a 12ga shotgun in the safe in the bedroom loaded with pepper capsules first then buckshot, next to it - the 9mm handgun. and if anything happens - you take the defense at your child bedroom with that shotty and handgun next - do not engage the intruder but wait for them to come to you while having 911 on the call and screaming repeatedly - 'i am armed but do not want to use any lethal force - leave now'.

he was saying that it is pretty much guaranteed that after a 12ga pepper blast into the perpetrator it will be over - and without the usual confiscation of weapons, and whole civil circus lawsuit from an injured assailant afterwards.

we live in a shitty state. it was a while when i heard all that shit at my safety course i do not even recall when, but, it is only getting worse. he was talking of a 84 yr old lady who shot the armed intruder - all legal, no police charges, no criminal shit - and then she got a 100k civil lawsuit from the perp in the jail and she was found guilty, as the criminal would have to limp for the rest of his life. she got him in the leg - therefore a reason for a buckshot, to spray perp on the wall. it is what the judges here do. all this is very depressing.

we just got back from MSF safety course as wife finally decided to get her ltc. took a long time.

one of things the instructor spoke there was the defense strategy for those who live in apartments, a part that i kinda dig now, is to have a 12ga shotgun in the safe in the bedroom loaded with pepper capsules first then buckshot, next to it - the 9mm handgun. and if anything happens - you take the defense at your child bedroom with that shotty and handgun next - do not engage the intruder but wait for them to come to you while having 911 on the call and screaming repeatedly - 'i am armed but do not want to use any lethal force - leave now'.

he was saying that it is pretty much guaranteed that after a 12ga pepper blast into the perpetrator it will be over - and without the usual confiscation of weapons, and whole civil circus lawsuit from an injured assailant afterwards.

we live in a shitty state. it was a while when i heard all that shit at my safety course i do not even recall when, but, it is only getting worse. he was talking of a 84 yr old lady who shot the armed intruder - all legal, no police charges, no criminal shit - and then she got a 100k civil lawsuit from the perp in the jail and she was found guilty, as the criminal would have to limp for the rest of his life. it is what the judges here do. all this is very depressing.
You're going to be facing the same lawsuit when the perp claims partial blindness from the pepper shot 12ga. I would take any advice from that "instructor" with a shot of penicillin and a grain of salt.

You're going to be facing the same lawsuit when the perp claims partial blindness from the pepper shot 12ga. I would take any advice from that "instructor" with a shot of penicillin and a grain of salt.
dunno. you cannot win that game in the state that presumes you guilty until you may (or may not) be allowed to prove yourself innocent.
but with pepper first, if it works - at least you MAY skip a corpse part with an ltc removal and guns confiscation step.
which is, also, with a second person in the household having an ltc may not be the case anymore.

If you want to have some pepper spray to douse the hallway and create a chemical barrier while someone calls 911, don’t do it from a 12ga, that guys f***ing retarded and that sounds like a an awful plan. Get a large can and have your lethal response ready if the spray does not slow them down. This will flood the hallway with a cloud of deterrent.

EB79ADEA-88DE-45BE-A3D6-AE845DD138FA.jpeg

we live in a shitty state. it was a while when i heard all that shit at my safety course i do not even recall when, but, it is only getting worse. he was talking of a 84 yr old lady who shot the armed intruder - all legal, no police charges, no criminal shit - and then she got a 100k civil lawsuit from the perp in the jail and she was found guilty, as the criminal would have to limp for the rest of his life. she got him in the leg - therefore a reason for a buckshot, to spray perp on the wall. it is what the judges here do. all this is very depressing.
Did the instructor rip that from the first gun thread?

Is this the same f***ing clown that used to demonstrate "spiderman shooting the web" with a revolver? This is stupid advice about loading the first shell to be pepper spray. All that needs to happen now is for someone to switch your load and for you to deliver lead into someone who was not posing a lethal threat. I'm sure that "instructor" will be more than happy to serve your sentence in that case. If you take out the shotgun, that's because you plan to lawfully deploy deadly force, not for any other reason. Deliver the pepper spray with something more appropriate.

Also, does he expect you to manipulate the 9mm and the shotgun at the same time? And call 911 with your dick? This is all kinds of bad. I'm not even going to address the whole "I'm armed, but do not want to use any lethal force, so come take my weapon and brutalize me anyway since I'm declaring myself to be a soft target" debacle.

A 12 gauge shotgun, regardless of loading, is still a firearm. Police call such loads "less lethal" but they are still quite capable of killing. Use Sabre red or some other type of aerosol OC for nonlethal purposes.

Back
Top Bottom