• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what is the best pepper spray to carry?

Is this the same f***ing clown that used to demonstrate "spiderman shooting the web" with a revolver? This is stupid advice about loading the first shell to be pepper spray. All that needs to happen now is for someone to switch your load and for you to deliver lead into someone who was not posing a lethal threat. I'm sure that "instructor" will be more than happy to serve your sentence in that case. If you take out the shotgun, that's because you plan to lawfully deploy deadly force, not for any other reason. Deliver the pepper spray with something more appropriate.

Also, does he expect you to manipulate the 9mm and the shotgun at the same time? And call 911 with your dick? This is all kinds of bad. I'm not even going to address the whole "I'm armed, but do not want to use any lethal force, so come take my weapon and brutalize me anyway since I'm declaring myself to be a soft target" debacle.
Was Joe Biden the instructor?

Consider whether you want the aerosol, stream or gel first. Do you know the difference? Can you get practice cans with whatever for whichever one you decide on?
This.

There is no best type of OC spray — each has advantages and disadvantages. The spray or mist type disperses the widest cone of spray. The good part is that it doesn’t require precise aiming — just spray it in the general direction of the perp as you retreat. The downside is that it is less likely to work in windy conditions. If the wind is in your face you are likely going to get some of the spray in your own face.

The stream or gel will provide more distance and work better in wind, but at the cost of requiring better aim.

I chose the spray/mist type back when I carried OC spray, but that is just me.

Last edited:
You're going to be facing the same lawsuit when the perp claims partial blindness from the pepper shot 12ga. I would take any advice from that "instructor" with a shot of penicillin and a grain of salt.
First of all, if I ever met that "instructor", I would tell him to his face to stuff a sock in his yapper before he gets someone killed. OC spray first, then the firearms. Shotgun should be loaded with either #4 buck or 00 buck. It is a deadly weapon and should be used only when a situation escalates to the point where deadly force is justified. If you live in MA and own property, you can obtain $500,000 worth of homestead protection by paying a $35 fee and filing a declaration of homestead with the registry of deeds. If you are a geezer like me and your wife is 62 or older, the protected amount rises to $1,000,000.

so, wife just asked me - and shame to me - don`t know. what is the answer for that in 2023?
probably needs to be split into 2 parts - one for the belt, other for the purse.

12ga loads are not to be included. :)
Whatever you get, get 3 of them.

2 for her to practice and inevitably get it all over her face. 1 for her to carry.

Anyone that sprayed anything on a windy day knows what it feels like to get it all over yourself.

First of all, if I ever met that "instructor", I would tell him to his face to stuff a sock in his yapper before he gets someone killed. OC spray first, then the firearms. Shotgun should be loaded with either #4 buck or 00 buck. It is a deadly weapon and should be used only when a situation escalates to the point where deadly force is justified. If you live in MA and own property, you can obtain $500,000 worth of homestead protection by paying a $35 fee and filing a declaration of homestead with the registry of deeds. If you are a geezer like me and your wife is 62 or older, the protected amount rises to $1,000,000.
i am open minded enough to hear what other people got to say, so, even if i do take it with a grain of salt - i still find it interesting. especially if they do that for a living.
the whole shotgun loaded with pepper was discussed specifically for a rental apartments scenario with other people behind paper thin walls, where your 00 buckshot would potentially go.

for his own home situation it was discussed to be loaded with 00. but, then it went toward civil liability talk and factual reality of what happens after you may get cleared for a criminal part of the show. as i heard this stuff quite a long time ago, it was interesting to hear it again, that is all. makes you re-think it all for yourself of what the options are.

If you want to have some pepper spray to douse the hallway and create a chemical barrier while someone calls 911, don’t do it from a 12ga, that guys f***ing retarded and that sounds like a an awful plan. Get a large can and have your lethal response ready if the spray does not slow them down. This will flood the hallway with a cloud of deterrent.

View attachment 820873
Be prepared to vacate the premises by another exit. Touch that stuff off indoors, and you'll find out really quickly what I mean. Those things fill every crack and crevice. Ask me how I know.
Sabre Crossfire is pressurized differently/still sprays when you hold the can in any orientation.

We started using this at the prison I worked at, to allow for leakage of the propellant over time, changes in pressure due the change in temperature (being outdoors in winter and then responding indoors), etc. I can't say if it worked any better or not than a standard can.
CCW insurance is a bad idea for a whole variety of reasons - I'm a member at the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network.
Do they cover costs, rather than providing "insurance"?
This.

There is no best type of OC spray — each has advantages and disadvantages. The spray or mist type disperses the widest cone of spray. The good part is that it doesn’t require precise aiming — just spray it in the general direction of the perp as you retreat. The downside is that it is less likely to work in windy conditions. If the wind is in your face you are likely going to get some of the spray in your own face.

The stream or gel will provide more distance and work better in wind, but at the cost of requiring better aim.

I chose the spray/mist type back when I carried OC spray, but that is just me.
Spot on. Part of the reason I use a Kimber PepperBlaster. You have to aim more, and only get two shots, but it's always windy when I'm outside.

Be prepared to vacate the premises by another exit. Touch that stuff off indoors, and you'll find out really quickly what I mean. Those things fill every crack and crevice. Ask me how I know.
Adult rules apply at the point that you’re fighting inside your house. A little bit of suck will be required.

Isn't Bear Spray less effective because it's more dilute than 'regular' pepper spray? Because bears have far more sensitive senses of smell than us humans?

I carry OC spray, since I was trained to have alternatives to lethal force when dealing with an individual outside my home. Sometime you just need to get that obnoxious drunk to backoff without getting into a fist fight (which at my age is not a very good option). However, I would never use it in my house. If you're in my house and you don't boogie out when the dogs start barking I'm going to assume that you're armed and dangerous and I'll will use my right under Massachusetts General Law Part IV, Title II, Chapter 278, Section 8A to terminate you with extreem prejudice.

"Although similar to pepper spray, bear spray is known to have a much lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum."

I just looked at my can of Frontier bear spray. Capsaicin content: 2.0% (1.1% Capsaicin and .9% related capsaicinoids derived from Oleo Resin of Capsicum). Sabre Red (Home Defense gel and what we carried at work, are 1.33% Major capsaicinoids).

See @sfd10 above! I carry Sabre Red and have for years. 10% OC concentration and 1.33 major capsaicinoids,

52H2O06 Sabre Red H2O MK-6 .69 oz Stream Delivery Spray

Back
Top Bottom