Can I bring unlicensed guest shooting

My daughter’s fiance wants to go shooting when they cone for a visit this weekend. He does not have a non-resident MA LTC. Can I let him use one of my hand guns while at the range? Is there some exception to the MA licensing requirements while he is at the range under my direct supervision?

MGL Chapter 140 section 129C(m)

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-129c.htm

...The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:...

(m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;

Of course, there may be club rules about this in addition to the state laws as well. Some clubs "are funny like that".

NO state laws in MA that would prohibit this as has been discussed above.

I have never seen any club that checks guests for LTC/FID. In all cases that I'm aware of, the member is responsible for any violations of safety/club rules by their guest.

There shouldn't be any problem as long as everyone acts responsibly!

I have never seen any club that checks guests for LTC/FID. In all cases that I'm aware of, the member is responsible for any violations of safety/club rules by their guest.
Indeed. If a club prohibited people who did not have an LTC/FID, then you could never take a Basic Pistol class in order to get that very same LTC.

Len is exactly correct about the member being responsible for the behavior of their guests. If your guests mess up, you are the one who gets punished.

"I have never seen any club that checks guests for LTC/FID."

Boston Gun Club in Dorchester has given me a lot of grief when I try to bring guests shooting who are not licensed. Occasionally they "bend the rules"; often they don't. It's aggravating enough that, if I decide to stay in MA another year, I'll be looking for another club.

Jeremiah said:

Boston Gun Club in Dorchester has given me a lot of grief when I try to bring guests shooting who are not licensed. Occasionally they "bend the rules"; often they don't. It's aggravating enough that, if I decide to stay in MA another year, I'll be looking for another club.

That's not exactly a way to develop future members, is it? I'd look for another club too.

Jeremiah said:

Ask them how they deal with SAS ladies. MOST of them (at least those that meet at BR&P) don't have any permits whatsoever. They borrow SAS' guns and ammo. [SAS meets at Boston (by Fields Corner) on the 4th Friday of every month.]

LenS,

Not to threadjack calafro's post, but I think the rule at the club is that you can bring a friend to shoot if there's a range officer present who is willing to be in the range with your guest (I *think* this is the rule. I haven't been able to get two similar answers on this question yet). People in charge tend to say ominous things about insurance when pressed as to why this requirement is necessary. The problem is, there's never anyone around. So, from a practical standpoint, don't waste your unlicensed-friends' time inviting them to the range.

Several range officers are involved in the SAS get-togethers, so that works out ok. If you are unlicensed and want to attend an SAS meeting at the Boston Gun Club, there isn't a problem.

(It's almost like my male co-workers face discrimination! Not really, but...)

Jeremiah said:
LenS,

Not to threadjack calafro's post, but I think the rule at the club is that you can bring a friend to shoot if there's a range officer present who is willing to be in the range with your guest (I *think* this is the rule. I haven't been able to get two similar answers on this question yet). People in charge tend to say ominous things about insurance when pressed as to why this requirement is necessary. The problem is, there's never anyone around. So, from a practical standpoint, don't waste your unlicensed-friends' time inviting them to the range.

Several range officers are involved in the SAS get-togethers, so that works out ok. If you are unlicensed and want to attend an SAS meeting at the Boston Gun Club, there isn't a problem.

(It's almost like my male co-workers face discrimination! Not really, but...)

Regrettably, it sounds like a gun club I used to belong to . . . in 3-4 years of my being a member I asked for a copy of the range rules numerous times. Finally the Secretary told me that even he didn't have a copy. Their BOD used to keep changing the rules many times/year. One of the major reasons I dropped out. In contrast, if ANYONE (member or not) wants to see BR&P's range rules, all you have to do is look at the website. All new members are given a printed copy (booklet) and the new member orientation goes over all the rules in detail. There are no secret rules, everything is spelled out and that is what makes it a fun club to belong to and shoot at!

Jeremiah said:

Jeremiah,

The BR&P club is a hop skip and jump from Dorchester. I'm planning on joining
later on in the year. I went to a show down there a couple of months ago
and liked what I saw. If you need any info or want to take a look at it there
are a lot of guys on this forum that are members (LenS for one) and would
probably show you around.

TBP

The Boston Patriot said:
Jeremiah,

The BR&P club is a hop skip and jump from Dorchester. I'm planning on joining
later on in the year. I went to a show down there a couple of months ago
and liked what I saw. If you need any info or want to take a look at it there
are a lot of guys on this forum that are members (LenS for one) and would
probably show you around.

TBP

Just be sure to read, understand, and make sure you can live within the BPR range rules. With their perhaps needlessly severe restrictions as to the distances at which targets can be hung, I don't think their rules were designed to foster the efforts of budding pistol marksmen. They are overdue for review and revision.

Last edited:
TBP, I'd be glad to show you around.

CX, not likely on the indoor range. Outdoor pistol range starts at 7.5yds, not bad for defensive shooting practice.

Due to problems with neighbors, and some damage to the indoor ranges, not likely that rules will change. But at least they are all published on the website and thus there should be no surprises to anyone.

Cross-X said:
Worcester Pistol & Rifle in Boylston intentionally limits itself to having only sensible rules. [smile]

...and some of the most basic ones are posted on one of the support poles at the range! (or used to be)....

What are the laws regarding someone under the age of 21 firing handguns under your supervision, is there a minimum age? I took my nephew to the range to shoot some rifles but I'm unsure about handguns.

AFAIK there are no age restrictions on firing a handgun when under the supervision of a licensed adult. I know that many years ago an attorney that I used to shoot with brought his Son and Daughter to join us and they shot his handguns (they may have been ~8 and 10 when they first started shooting).

BUT I am NOT an expert on this part of the law. Not having any children leads to a lack of personal interest in such topics, so I suggest waiting for a response by one of our "resident" lawyers.

Better late than never.... As long as the child can safely handle the gun and is under your direct surpervision, there's no age restriction on them shooting. (being an instructor I need to know this stuff...my 4 legged kids don't shoot...yet anyway. [laugh] )

I'm a member of the R&P Committee at the Maynard Rod and Gun Club west of Boston. A member may bring an un-licensed guest to shoot at any of our ranges. All we ask is that you stay with your guest while your guest is on the line. We also ask that if you bring more than one guest that you only allow one of them to shoot at a time as that will take all of your attention. If other shooters are around you can ask them if they'll assist you in supervising your guests if you are looking to have them shoot at the same time. Otherwise your other guest(s) will have to wait their turn.

LenS said:
Ask them how they deal with SAS ladies. MOST of them (at least those that meet at BR&P) don't have any permits whatsoever. They borrow SAS' guns and ammo.

Actually, I think MOST of us ladies have at least a B permit, as far as I know.

K-Dub,

Last Summer (IIRC) when I attended a SAS session at BR&P I heard a number of women state that they didn't have any permit at all.

I think that you, Deena, Reinbeau and Lynne are actually in the minority.

Edited: K-Dub, I can see how what I wrote may be mis-interpreted. Edited (in red) to "time stamp" my knowledge and remove that which may be subject to mis-interpretation. Sorry, it was not my original intention to read as a negative comment on SAS.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but...

LenS said:
K-Dub,

Back in the day when I was allowed to attend the SAS sessions at BR&P I heard a number of women state that they didn't have any permit at all.

I think that you, Deena, Reinbeau and Lynne are actually in the minority.

What's up with the constant negativity towards SAS? (By the way, it's probably why you're not invited to attend the meetings anymore.) I'm sure you have just cause to be upset by whatever personal differences you had with a couple of the women, but if you don't like it, just let those ladies who enjoy it, enjoy it. I hate to be a b*tch, but enough is enough. (FYI, MOST of us DO have permits.)

SiameseRat, I live in Hanson and I have never heard of that rule. If thats the case, my 14 yo daughter and I break the law quite often. The Hanson club has an active junior rifle program so I dont think that rule is in effect. Where did you hear such a thing?

K-Dub,

The comment wasn't negativity on SAS, sorry if you interpret it that way. I can only speak to what I know (I didn't ask, some stated that they didn't have any license . . . I think it came up regarding many's inability to buy ammo for the SAS sessions due to the lack of any license) and thus my info is "old" (last Summer IIRC). If the faces have changed or most of those ladies have since then received LTCs, more power to them.

So, I stand corrected regarding the current status of SAS attendees . . . and I'm glad to be wrong on this. But regardless, everyone has to start from "ground zero" (the actual topic of this thread) and they (male, female or child) need to learn about firearms, learn to shoot, learn gun handling safety preferably before getting a LTC, so I see it as self-defeating if any club/range prohibits unlicensed people from shooting there (under supervision of a LTC holder).

And for the record, I am not the only male told not to be there. The person who started the issue's boyfriend is also not welcome there (and he is also a genuine supporter of SAS and seems to be a very nice guy) and can most times be found in the other clubhouse. He also wanted to sit thru Michael's training sessions as he found it very informative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom