• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bring me up to speed, about building my own AR-15 in MA? And why can we buy similar rifles but not the copies of an AR how does that work.....

Hi all, I am trapped in the commie state of Mass and looking to buy but not sure I want a sig speer LT type, and would like to build my own AR copy from a stripped down lower so I have a few questions like how the hell is the sig speer on shelves but not AR copies here in Mass?!!? Secondly what is the "gray area" to buying a stripped down lower and building a complaint version and submitting all the proper forms? Can some someone please explain this process? Thanks

Hi, Maura! [wave]

There are like forty threads about this...

Buy stripped lower.
Buy all the parts that attach to stripped lower.
Attach all the parts to stripped lower.
File an EFA-10 within a week of completion.
Bob's your uncle.

Last edited:
Hi, Maura! [wave]

There are like forty threads about this...

Buy stripped lower.
Buy all the parts that attach to stripped lower.
Attach all the parts to stripped lower.
File an EFA-10 within a week of completion.
Bob's your uncle.
Would that include, say, a pinned and welded barrel? Or unthreaded barrel? How about an adjustable stock? Brace? 30 round standard capacity magazine?
Inquiring minds seek your expertise.🙄

It's mostly about 'evil features'. You can have an AR but you cannot have
1. adjustable stock
2. non pin-weld'd barrel
3. shorter than 16" barrel (unless SBR)
4. bayonet mount
5. > 10round magazines

So, as Mr. Picton indicated, you purchase the lower (which is the only part the ATF/Feds serialize),
buy all the other parts, assemble. Have the stock & barrel 'fixed' and then eFA10 the mess once
you finish assembling.

If you're interested in buying it legally? Yes, they would know. Because any lawful transfer of non-antique firearms needs that EFA10.
OK so its the Feds that might not know then maybe? Unless the state shares the info?

Hint:

"Gun show loophole."

That's what you're asking about. Look it up.
I had no idea ..... but all this crap is bs you know it and I do based on our 2A rights except we have screwed up state laws that make it all very very confusing

I had no idea ..... but all this crap is bs you know it and I do based on our 2A rights except we have screwed up state laws that make it all very very confusing

Well, yes. That's why I said...
You have FAR less to fear from the Feds than from the Commonwealth.

I know I sound all flippant 'n' shit, but I'm actually giving you useful answers. The same answers you'd get from about forty other threads, though, it must be said...

Back
Top Bottom