• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is the HK USP .45 legal in MA?

Hi, new here. I have been searching around the forum trying to figure this out and I'm leaning towards it not being legal. However the circumstances are also slightly different. My friend who lives in Massachusetts has a USP 45 (not sure of the variant but its just a regular USP) that is stored in a better state, would he be able to sell it to me?

I don't see the USP in 45 on the approved rosters, and it is not a 1998. But I've also seen a few posts on here where it looks like people had sold USP 45s in MA somewhat recently, without specifically stating that its 1998.

Sorry if this is already answered or not a very good question, I'm still learning all of the intricacies for what you can and cannot have here :/

Off roster guns are NOT illegal. They just can’t be sold by a dealer. Has no effect on what you can own/possess.

So yes the USP is legal.
I see, thank you. So if they wanted to sell it to me it would still have to go through an FFL, but would the FFL transfer it if its off roster? Or is that where I run into issues?

I see, thank you. So if they wanted to sell it to me it would still have to go through an FFL, but would the FFL transfer it if its off roster? Or is that where I run into issues?
You can transfer a private one without a FFL
If you want to buy a new one Call a FFL
Try one in the 01460 area

It’s a handgun out of state so you’d have to go through an FFL. Shouldn’t be too hard to find one to do it, but it won’t be Four Seasons.

But try shooting one first if you haven’t. HKs are awesome til you start shooting them. 😂

And an HK45 might be a better way to go anyway, and those are easy to get and cheap since US made. And full cap mags are Mass legal.

You can transfer a private one without a FFL
In this case, the gun is owned by someone out of state. Interstate transfers of handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence. A private sale across state lines is a federal felony.

In this case, the gun is owned by someone out of state. Interstate transfers of handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence. A private sale across state lines is a federal felony.
Yeah.
The question is a little weird.
Assuming friend has MA LTC
His MA resident friend has one stored out of state.
If I own a firearm in MA, move it to a NH storage unit for whatever reason, bring it back to MA to sell to a friend, within the state IMO

Last edited:
After which they become spectacular.

I find them snappy and with some odd designs like the giant opening for gloves fingers, or having pinch points. Like shooting my CZ P01 better than any HK, though I haven’t tried their striker fired.

I want to like HKs cause they’re beautiful guns.

Yeah.
The question is a little weird.
Assuming friend has MA LTC
His MA resident friend has one stored out of state.
If I own a firearm in MA, move it to a NH storage unit for whatever reason, bring it back to MA to sell to a friend, within the state IMO
Right thats exactly it, he moved here and has a MA LTC but has the gun out of state. Sorry for the confusion.

I called around and a few places do sell USP 45s, so I guess dealers can sell them.. though I'm still slightly confused at how lol.

In the land of the bay and the cod,
Where the laws are both strict and odd,
There's a game that's both clever and plain,
In the shadows, they call it the game of the frame.

Oh, the frame game, a dance in the grey,
With the rules, they slyly play,
Selling pieces, not the whole,
In this loophole, they find their goal.

Handguns not on the list, so fair,
Find their way through a trick so rare,
Dealers split them, oh so sly,
Sell the frames, and the laws defy.

But beware, oh dealers bold,
For the rules might yet unfold,
A twist, a turn, a change in play,
Could end the frame game's subtle sway.

In Massachusetts, land of the free,
The frame game plays by the sea,
But remember, with each frame sold,
A story of caution, quietly told.

So here's to the clever, the bold and the sly,
Who dance in the shadows, under the sky,
The frame game they play, with a wink and a nod,
In the land of the bay, the cod, and the odd.

Right thats exactly it, he moved here and has a MA LTC but has the gun out of state. Sorry for the confusion.

I called around and a few places do sell USP 45s, so I guess dealers can sell them.. though I'm still slightly confused at how lol.

If he owns the gun, and he has it stored out of state - then the simplest answer might be for him to go get the gun, bring it into the state, and then private sale it to you.

If the sale takes place while the gun is out of state, then federal law applies - has to go through an FFL for inter-state transfer.

Hi, new here. I have been searching around the forum trying to figure this out and I'm leaning towards it not being legal. However the circumstances are also slightly different. My friend who lives in Massachusetts has a USP 45 (not sure of the variant but its just a regular USP) that is stored in a better state, would he be able to sell it to me?

I don't see the USP in 45 on the approved rosters, and it is not a 1998. But I've also seen a few posts on here where it looks like people had sold USP 45s in MA somewhat recently, without specifically stating that its 1998.

Sorry if this is already answered or not a very good question, I'm still learning all of the intricacies for what you can and cannot have here :/

Yes, its perfectly legal.

Wether its on that stupid f***ing list or not, is basically irrelevant.

Stop caring about the list, its not your problem. It's a dealers problem, at best.

Back
Top Bottom