Ares Armor fends off the BATFE...for now

Not that I at all favor the BATFE's conduct here, but there IS some justice in that now the BATFE has only winter's real name and address as a result of the 80% lowers he bough as a the "group buy" he "ran".

Looks like he did the NES community a ****ing favor after all.

Last edited:
Well now, that escalated quickly. [hmmm]

It's only the beginning...

03-15-2014, 7:59 PM

We at CGF have confirmed the ATF has searched multiple properties in the Ares Armor/EP Lowers matters, and customer lists have been seized.

If you are contacted by law enforcement:

DO NOT PANIC.

... and please follow the guidance below. Embellish at your own risk.

This investigation appears IMHO to be less about individual customers, than whether a given
seller/shop needs an FFL, etc. But they'd love to pick up any trailing 'debris' they can find.

[Commingled with this drama, and coloring it a bit, was the lead-in to this w/ some crap vendors
in greater Sac area that may have been selling what could be regarded as complete rifles built
from "80%" without paperwork, and which also may not have been compliant in other aspects.
(These people appear to me to be well outside California's "legitimate gun culture".)]

If you are contacted:

Exercise your right to remain silent, not comment/assist, AND to contact an attorney
(_both_ are important; former is less useful & possibly harmful without asserting the
latter.)

PURE SILENCE ("I ain't talkin' to you") can be used against you in Federal matters.
The best way is to merely say, "I need to contact my attorney before making any
comments."

Your verbal responses should be polite but firm/insistent. Do not yell.
NEVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH. If they coulda gotten a warrant they'd've have one
already. The more brusque & harsh they are is usually in inverse proportion to their
confidence in the matter.

If they don't have a warrant and barge in, do NOT interfere/resist, but continue to insist
on the illegality of their 4th Amendment violation.

DO NOT OPEN LOCKED CONTAINERS FOR THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. Make'em
work for it. (They can find their own blowtorch & buy you new gun storage later.)
If contacted, do contact The Calguns Foundation’s Help Hotline

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/hotline/

But PLEASE only contact this IF YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY L.E. IN RELATION TO ABOVE
SITUATION. Do NOT load the CGF helpline system down with various personal/conditional
"what-if" questions if nothing has happend to you, or other similar inquiries - dammit, it's a
HOTline.

CGF is taking a new policy that EVERY request for assistance must run thru this system.
Federal 18 USC 1001 is a real beeyotch. It covers making false statements to Feds (investigators,
US Attorneys, the Feebs, etc.) Even truthful but incomplete statements can get you hooked up for
a felony, even if totally innocent of any other original matters..

Do NOT rely on the ATF agents being nice ("we're not after you, we are after the big fish..."). He/
she is investigating and will not really drive charging. He generally won't have much real control
whether charges are being filed by US Attorney (unless someone were to agree to get wired up
and snitch...).
DO NOT assert innocence or lack of guilt. Something that's trivially wrong but technically a crime
(even minor misdemeanor) that you might not have known you committed can then be used to
show you made a misstatement - by asserting your innocence!
When US Attorneys are failing in their primary case(s) they often go after 18 USC 1001 charges for
various parties as their consolation prize. Think Martha Stewart.
Calif DOJ Firearms Bureau people or even local PD 'gun unit' LEOs could be "along for the ride".

There could be a chance also that these guys are doing legwork for the ATF. Some of these such
people may well be co-sworn as US Marshals, etc. (LAPD Gun Unit) - so don't let state/local status
calm you into talking to them differently than Feds, as 18 USC 1001 charges could still derive from
even trivial mental mistakes leading to accidental false statements in Federal matters.
This investigation is not really AR15, etc related. (That could have a tad of local political significance
but is really Fed-irrelevant outside the PR atmospherics.)

It is generally about "how far is too far" on pre-receiver status and transferrence, when is licensing
required, and even applies to firms involved in making receivers for good ol' cowboy revolvers or
even gunsmithing of firearm stocks & optics (when on firearms) for profit - the latter even if said
firearm(s) never left owner's presence.

Ultimately it's about ATF's enforcement/regulatory powers & their extent; the general argument is
if you're touching a gun for biz - even trivial gunsmithing - you need an FFL.
PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT A "PAPERWEIGHT" HUNK OF METAL and then machined it/drilled it/
milled it themselves are not really part of this even though they may get involved in the wash...

Someone buying a true 'paperweight' original '80 percent' and doing all work himself - going to his
friend's machine shop, in his garage, using a cheap drilling jig, etc. - does not raise the FFL aspect
at all.

But where that mystlcal 80% may fail is when ATF just regards it as "too damned easy". This is
why I have warned in the past about '80%' - 80% is an expert's 92% or an idiot's 37%. The
further you deviate from stuff that has been ATF approved the more risk there is.
Remember that those that legally construct handguns must build them as Roster-exempt single-shot
exempt ("SSE") handguns first. There could be state/local queries on this. Again, do not worry about
these questions: refer all of them to your attorney.
Let us say there were warrants for some of your items, and they take away the receiver only for your
'80% AR pistol'. [I'm aware that in various past matters receivers have been taken in some situations
while leaving rest of gun parts in owner's hands - either as an informal courtesy? or some other reason.]

If this is your only AR pistol, and you also own AR rifles, and you lose the pistol receiver, you have shorty
upper(s) in your possession and you should discuss their continued possession with your attorney to avoid
risk of CA SBR 'constructive possession' due to those parts still hanging around.
Make sure everything else in your house is legal. I shouldn't have to friggin' say this, but that includes pot
plants, steroids, 'scrip drugs in others' names, firearms that need to be configured legally, not stealing
Cable TV from your neighbor, etc. Some asshat will invariably get popped for this crap and I have little
sympathy.

(Hey, DO YOU REALLY WANNA HAVE A MAG MAGNET etc. AROUND NOW??? )
Teach other people in your household should NOT consent to search. Answer door only partially open.

Do not let them 'bullyrag' their way in on a cloud of BS. You do not have to come outside - ask if you are
under arrest.
Young Asian college/grad school folks living with their parents should NOT get "Blue Compliance Fever" and
then allow search/entry. Violate your upbringing and cultural norms.
KEEP CALM AND DON'T PANIC.

Surreptitious recordings are useful.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Patron Life Member / CRPA life member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=907095

I love how that CGF bulletin says don't panic but everything else basically will push people to panic. I wouldn't be comfortable even with legal medications in my house if the ATF showed up, hell they could plant shit.

I love how that CGF bulletin says don't panic but everything else basically will push people to panic. I wouldn't be comfortable even with legal medications in my house if the ATF showed up, hell they could plant shit.

Why would you let them in to give them that opportunity? Open the door, and either talk to them through the entry way or step outside.

"Sir, respectfully, I need to speak with my lawyer before making any statements."

Done.

Why would you let them in to give them that opportunity? Open the door, and either talk to them through the entry way or step outside.

"Sir, respectfully, I need to speak with my lawyer before making any statements."

Done.

I wouldn't, but they don't necessarily listen obviously.

So the ATF didn't obey a restraining order, and committed a criminal act anyway. Proves once again that a piece of paper won't stop a criminal.

Now that they have disobeyed a restraining order, would the ATF fail a 4473, and be required to turn in all their guns?

So, reading this, the ATF is bitching because they think EP is making a full lower and then squirting the white polymer in to revert it back to an 80%.

Reportedly what they do it is make the white part and then build the rest of the lower around that.

If that is what they are doing - then I can see the ATF's gripe.. Not that I agree with the law in all instances - but the law is the law.

1510914_800711929958373_264863493_n.jpg

Why did they just go in asking for records if they know it was illegal to ask? Were they just hoping the owner would cave in?

Or, is there more to this story??

Not that I at all favor the BATFE's conduct here, but there IS some justice in that now the BATFE has only winter's real name and address as a result of the 80% lowers he bough as a the "group buy" he "ran".

Looks like he did the NES community a ****ing favor after all.

Until they go after him for all his "sales" records.

WOW!!! Real ****ING TOUGH GUYS!!! Have to use an entry team on a closed business, Didn't even have the courtesy after they were there to call the owners and say, Hey, we have a warrant to seize the files, come on down and open the locks so we don't have to break anything, Yeah! we will give you a copy of the warrant when you get here.

Why is it that every time we hear about ATF problems it is south and west of this area. I know and knew a couple of agents from this area and even they cringe when they see this shit.

It's because there is a lot more "human meat that can be harvested". The number of FFLs (and the volume they do) up in this quadrant of the US is a lot smaller. The most populous states also all have strict gun control. (which drastically limits the total number of gun owners/buyers compared to everywhere else). The opportunities for ATF agents in this region to "go full blown jackboot thug" on, are pretty limited. They probably have more agents in a given region down there too, which increases the probability that any given one of them is a thug. I have no idea how they "distribute work" or whatever but I
would make a WAG that whoever supervises these people knows their personnel, and they're not going to send the "good cop" over to a place like Ares armor to have a chat, they're going to send the known douchebag party line types. BATFE is so
inconsistent in this regard its incredible. The agents run the gamut from captain obvious grade jackbooted thugs to guys who are at least "professional" in their conduct. It doesn't help that much of these problems are created when you give an agency the ability to make legal definitions that aren't welded into law. It's bad enough that most of this crap should be rendered
null because its unconstitutional, but its even worse when you have an agency which is allowed to make up its own rules as it
goes along.

-Mike

so if I want to buy some 80%s from Ares, do I send them the payment directly or do I make it to ATF?

Also, to those who thought that they could hide behind Winter's name on groupbuy from Ares [rofl] You know that guy is got your back [rofl]

AAHH!! Arizona, Fast and Furious, minimal gun laws. Same for Idaho and Texas. No, There are some personality and leadership issues out there.

You're missing my point. My point is there are much greater opportunities for agents to act like douchebags in the rest of the country. There are more agents, more FFLs, more transactions, more guns. Like exponentially more of all the aforementioned. This increases the odds of bad shit happening. I don't disagree that there are issues; and that stuff goes all the way back to the core of the ATF. Look what they tried to do to the guy who was a whistleblower on F&F, for example. The fact that we have "less problems" with BATFE in this quadrant of the country is a matter of numbers, and luck, more than anything else.

-Mike

There was some one on this site that recently had an ATF Audit and was threated like a person.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but -EVERYONE- gets audited (eventually) and it's typically by an ATF inspector/pencil pusher, and not a gun carrying agent. An audit and an "investigation" are two different ballgames. If you keep your nose clean (as in white glove clean) as a dealer WRT records and so on, I have no doubt that the ATF generally won't screw with you, because you make a hard target.

-Mike

There is a lot of noise over this being an "illegal search" etc etc etc... Back to reality (legally speaking), if the ATF was investigating them for selling EP lowers, that lets just say for the sake of argument were black polymer 100% lowers back filled with a different colored polymer, would they not be justified in investigating what is in actuality the illegal (as per the law) sale of firearms?

I always thought buying an "80%" lower online to be secret squirrel was stupid. In cash with no bill of sale is one thing, online is another. May as well just buy a complete lower, unless it is just for the novelty or a mock up.

Mike

So, the TRO that was issued was modified after the fact by the judge to permit actions in regards to illegal activities and/or contraband (or something like that). Like someone said, the ATF was pissy they got duped originally while Ares got the TRO and that's why the raided the shop on a weekend when no one was there to justify the damage and expenses to the company.

While I agree, if EP's manufacturing process was ordered incorrectly (making the lower and then injecting the second color), they're screwed, however, if the process was correct (making the plug first and then the rest of the lower), I think the ATF has less cause for any of this. Honestly, if the ATF weren't being asses, they probably could have sent someone over to observe the process and get actual answers instead of all this heavy handed bullshit.

I always thought buying an "80%" lower online to be secret squirrel was stupid. In cash with no bill of sale is one thing, online is another. May as well just buy a complete lower, unless it is just for the novelty or a mock up.

Mike

There's the whole fact of less paper work, no transfer fee, and the satisfaction of having something you made, and then, also, the secret aspect.

So, the TRO that was issued was modified after the fact by the judge to permit actions in regards to illegal activities and/or contraband (or something like that). Like someone said, the ATF was pissy they got duped originally while Ares got the TRO and that's why the raided the shop on a weekend when no one was there to justify the damage and expenses to the company.

While I agree, if EP's manufacturing process was ordered incorrectly (making the lower and then injecting the second color), they're screwed, however, if the process was correct (making the plug first and then the rest of the lower), I think the ATF has less cause for any of this. Honestly, if the ATF weren't being asses, they probably could have sent someone over to observe the process and get actual answers instead of all this heavy handed bullshit.

There's the whole fact of less paper work, no transfer fee, and the satisfaction of having something you made, and then, also, the secret aspect.

The ATF doesn't know how to do anything other than heavy handed.

Back
Top Bottom