Now Dr Asking..

Just had my annual physical yesterday. The MA at the visit before the doctor came in and first question she asked was "have you felt helpless or in despair in the last six months?" I was like... wat. I bet the next followup question would have been - do you have access to firearms? I wasn't asked that though.

Not sure if serious. "Most gun owners" are not like the majority of people on this forum, they often have a different worldview of gun ownership vs what you or I or others here likely do. The AMA is doing this shit from top down to promulgate the mindset of "guns r bad" or "guns r specil and dangeresss" etc.

We need to get out of this mindset that gun owners are monolithic. Right now there are gun owners in this country that would turn their shit in for money or even agree with certain forms of gun control.

Definitely different perspective coming from my doctors down here than the ones I had in CT.

I had rotator cuff surgery two weeks ago. Saw the surgeon for post-op checkup last week and he signed off on me starting dryfire practice. Told me that if I wanted to go to the range that I should probably just benchfire a rifle for a couple of weeks, that the movement involved in skeet or pistol would be too painful. Yeah - he's a member of my local gun club.

My PCP, dentist, chiropractor, optometrist and attorney are also members of the same club; my vet is one of the owners.

I'm 100% serious.

The gun culture is very different down here.

You know you still have choices when the doc says something, right? What they say isn't carved in stone, or backed by enforceable law.

They wanted to keep me in the hospital after a heart attack - I signed myself out and left, Doc even said it's a hospital, not a prison
They told me to get vaxxed - I said no
They told me to get a camera up my ass - I said no
They told me to take xyz pills - I take x and z, I won't take "y" pill for abc reasons
They said lose weight - I did
They said cut out fried food - I didn't
They said don't bring a gun into the office - I did
They asked if I had guns - I lied
They asked about illnesses I had 40 years ago - I lied (actually I just answered no without reading)

The doc gets his info and makes recommendations - you do or don't follow them. Do you own research and make your own decision.

You're under no obligation to answer any questions your doctor asks. Answer the questions you want. Decline to answer others.

Your doctors, are just doing the job as dictated by the conglomerates they work for. At the end of the day, try to remember that they probably think it's b******* just as much as you do. It's not medically relevant, and is a waste of their time to even broach the topic. Your doctor has on average, only 10 minutes with you for a physical these days. Wasting time on inane banter like this his medical malpractice in my opinion.

Your relationship with your doctor is consultative. As in you are essentially hiring them as a consultant on your personal health. You were under no obligation to take their advice. You are also under no obligation to be truthful with them.

That said you would never hire a consultant, spend good money on them, to just blow off everything they say. It is in your best interest, generally but not always, to follow your doctor's advice and to be honest with them.

One thing I would not do though, if they have a no firearms sign, I would honor it. If it bothers you find another doctor. Their property, their rules. And I'm not going to risk catching a criminal trespass case out of spite over a disagreement on policy.

You know you still have choices when the doc says something, right? What they say isn't carved in stone, or backed by enforceable law.

They wanted to keep me in the hospital after a heart attack - I signed myself out and left, Doc even said it's a hospital, not a prison
They told me to get vaxxed - I said no
They told me to get a camera up my ass - I said no
They told me to take xyz pills - I take x and z, I won't take "y" pill for abc reasons
They said lose weight - I did
They said cut out fried food - I didn't
They said don't bring a gun into the office - I did
They asked if I had guns - I lied
They asked about illnesses I had 40 years ago - I lied (actually I just answered no without reading)

The doc gets his info and makes recommendations - you do or don't follow them. Do you own research and make your own decision.
Primary care IM/FM doctors generally aren't the gun grabbing gestapo officers many on NES believe them to be. Now mental health therapists on the other hand..

Just had my annual physical yesterday. The MA at the visit before the doctor came in and first question she asked was "have you felt helpless or in despair in the last six months?" I was like... wat. I bet the next followup question would have been - do you have access to firearms? I wasn't asked that though.
Is she hot?

You're allready lying to the doctor about "how many drinks you have each week;" Are you gonna get truthful now, all of a sudden?
I always wondered if docs think I am full of sh*t.
I barely drink, I had 2 beers this Monday and 3 beers on Sat. But before that I didn't drink for 3-4 weeks.

I am lucky to be healthy and have a healthy family, so I answer NO to everything and sometimes I write that I drink 1 beer per week (I average out the beers to roughly 1 per week).

The next question would be if you ever thought of harming yourself. Then if you had a plan. Then the details of the plan. Then if you had the means to implement the plan.

People kill themselves in many ways. I saw more hangings than gun shots.

I always wondered if docs think I am full of sh*t.
I barely drink, I had 2 beers this Monday and 3 beers on Sat. But before that I didn't drink for 3-4 weeks.

I am lucky to be healthy and have a healthy family, so I answer NO to everything and sometimes I write that I drink 1 beer per week (I average out the beers to roughly 1 per week).
Oh docs know full well and expect their patients to come with pants on fire. My girl's an FM resident and likes to whip out this gif all the time. Labs don't lie tho.

house-doctor.gif

Primary care IM/FM doctors generally aren't the gun grabbing gestapo officers many on NES believe them to be. Now mental health therapists on the other hand..

It goes without saying that I'd never speak to a mental health professional willingly. I wasn't raised to believe that this is a thing we talk about, and I don't.
In the military, we'd have to see them quite a bit before and after deployments. All questions were answered to present a "normal, well adjusted" person so I could go on with my life.

this was covered yesterday

This comes up at least five times every year.

this was covered yesterday

Just had my annual physical yesterday. The MA at the visit before the doctor came in and first question she asked was "have you felt helpless or in despair in the last six months?" I was like... wat. I bet the next followup question would have been - do you have access to firearms? I wasn't asked that thoug

Oh docs know full well and expect their patients to come with pants on fire. My girl's an FM resident and likes to whip out this gif all the time. Labs don't lie tho.

View attachment 868755
“FM resident ”? Sorry, not familiar w term. ??

Primary care IM/FM doctors generally aren't the gun grabbing gestapo officers many on NES believe them to be.
Mine asked me if I owned guns. When I said yes, she asked me if they were secured. I said yes. That was the end of the discussion.

I think the real travesty here is how people take big risks with being honest to thier doctors.

The VA is pretty notorious for giving people 72 hour mental health lock downs for off the cuff remarks that clearly have no actual threat.

I know plenty of veterans post deployment who got pulled into that trap. Worst part os if you refuse the process then they court order it and now your a prohibited person.

And the VA still pretends to wonder why veterans have such mental illness.

This comes up at least five times every year.

Yep! I've posted this many times before I took my son to the doctors when he was very young. The Doctor asked him if there were guns at home?

He looked at the Doctor shrugged his shoulders and they looked at me and I said not as far as either one of you know.

My son is a grown man now so they have been asking for at least 15-20 years.

Maybe a carpenter helping you install the safe door on your gun room!?
Not needed. Install the door, mind your own business.

I would tell the guy it is a panic room. The wife is paranoid and wants one. I wouldn't want him thinking I will store any valuables in there.

Not needed. Install the door, mind your own business.

I would tell the guy it is a panic room. The wife is paranoid and wants one. I wouldn't want him thinking I will store any valuables in there.
My carpenter is a good friend and made some excellent suggestions that I wouldnt have thought of myself….that’s all I’ll say.

I can’t think of anyone that I would call a good friend that isnt a gun guy….

Definitely different perspective coming from my doctors down here than the ones I had in CT.

I had rotator cuff surgery two weeks ago. Saw the surgeon for post-op checkup last week and he signed off on me starting dryfire practice. Told me that if I wanted to go to the range that I should probably just benchfire a rifle for a couple of weeks, that the movement involved in skeet or pistol would be too painful. Yeah - he's a member of my local gun club.

My PCP, dentist, chiropractor, optometrist and attorney are also members of the same club; my vet is one of the owners.

I'm 100% serious.

The gun culture is very different down here.
I agree with that but as a generality there's a push by the AMA to ask these invasive questions. They know that people are soft wrt guns.

As to wether doctors suck for it or not? Where you currently live the number is closer to zero; in new england not so much.

Also in GA I bet 60-70% of the doctors own guns. I doubt that in MA.

Back
Top Bottom