_First_ Purchase for 2006

For Second and SR

clap.gif

congrats guys!

It is one of the new ones made by Kahr in Worcester. I have always been very skeptical of the West Hurley guns....soft parts of dubious origin.

It differs from a GI issue in several respects. Since it is a Mass Compliant Model it has a visual loaded chamber indicator (hard to describe)cut out at the back of the chamber, and a commercial style thumb safety. It seems very tight, no play in the slide at all. I had to use a bushing wrench to field strip it as bushing was nice and tight too...much tighter than any GI gun. It is hard to judge the trigger pull weight. It is kind of creepy, but it doesn't seem that heavy despite the fact that I believe that 10lbs is the Mass compliant standard (or is that folklore ?)

I am anxious to shoot it. I am assuming that it is mainly a hardball gun. it came in slightly over $450.00. I know that there are probably better deals out there, I've seen them on the internet, but it was a price I was willing to pay for a .45. It was more of a whim-type purchase.

Strangely, I have a Colt Mk IV that I bought at Ivanhoe (remember them ?) up in Billerica back in 1985 which I have had some light custom work done over the years: bebveled mag well, throated chamber, and a duty-type trigger job. In terms of overall I "feel" I like the AO better, although the trigger on the Colt is much better. Neither gun is state of the art with regard where 1911's are today, but something about having the basic design (no firing pin safety) with no frills is kind of reassuring. I hope that it proves to be a reliable and reasonably accurate shooter....I'll let you know.

Mark

It is one of the new ones made by Kahr in Worcester. I have always been very skeptical of the West Hurley guns....soft parts of dubious origin.

It differs from a GI issue in several respects. Since it is a Mass Compliant Model it has a visual loaded chamber indicator (hard to describe)cut out at the back of the chamber, and a commercial style thumb safety. It seems very tight, no play in the slide at all. I had to use a bushing wrench to field strip it as bushing was nice and tight too...much tighter than any GI gun. It is hard to judge the trigger pull weight. It is kind of creepy, but it doesn't seem that heavy despite the fact that I believe that 10lbs is the Mass compliant standard (or is that folklore ?)

I am anxious to shoot it. I am assuming that it is mainly a hardball gun. it came in slightly over $450.00. I know that there are probably better deals out there, I've seen them on the internet, but it was a price I was willing to pay for a .45. It was more of a whim-type purchase.

Strangely, I have a Colt Mk IV that I bought at Ivanhoe (remember them ?) up in Billerica back in 1985 which I have had some light custom work done over the years: bebveled mag well, throated chamber, and a duty-type trigger job. In terms of overall I "feel" I like the AO better, although the trigger on the Colt is much better. Neither gun is state of the art with regard where 1911's are today, but something about having the basic design (no firing pin safety) with no frills is kind of reassuring. I hope that it proves to be a reliable and reasonably accurate shooter....I'll let you know.

Mark

Mark

Made my 1st 2006 purchase today.
Arisaka, Kokura-Type 99, Series 21 Japanese rifle. Pics to follow.

JonJ said:
Made my 1st 2006 purchase today.
Arisaka, Kokura-Type 99, Series 21 Japanese rifle. Pics to follow.

Nice Jon. My uncle has an Arisaka that he brought back with him from WWII. He said he'd leave it in his will for me. :D (I'll wait to collect it tho. [wink] )

I just bought a new race gun from Brazos custom. However, it won't be ready until June 1st. It still needs to be built. Talk about a long wait but when it arrives it will all be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom