• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first gunbroker purchase....HELP!

Just read his whole description. He actually lists so much detail that I would be more comfortable with him than most other listings. Just follow the directions to a T and you should be good to go. I've never actually had to do the whole my FFL contact their FFL and exchange papers thing. My guy is in the Gunbroker drop down and on most custom maker's drop down. I imagine this will go very smooth. I however... would not do the money order. Eat the 30 bucks in CC Fees and have some sort of protection. I have had to dispute maybe 5 transactions in 20 years. Every single one of them was gun or accessory related. (I mean everything else is on amazon)

If you're concerned, I would see what the online invoice is and probably pay that way with a card. Then if it goes bad, I can at least do a charge back. Also, you now need to post the link to the listing so we can judge you outwardly but be jealous quietly.
This

I’ve made a slew of GB purchases. I pay with a credit card, and only deal with vendors who have a high number of positive ratings, and ones that I can trace to a bricks and mortar business with contact info.
Anything on GB, or online, or at a gun shop or whatever. I use a card. Chargeback protection and 3% rebate back to me as cash.

Odds are you'll have no problem with this dude he's got a good rating.

Pay by credit card even if it cost a couple points, if anything goes wrong it's just a phone call to get your money back. The 3% for cards is fairly normal, and I get 3% back on all purchases, so it's a no brainer for me, same as cash but with protection.

Also, pull up a street view of the sending address.

with the way UPS and others are right now it is near impossible for a private party to ship a handgun

Plus an FFL can ship handguns via the much cheaper USPS (Regional Flat Rate used to make this wicked inexpensive but they got rid of it :mad:) since they are not required to use a minimum of Second Day.

Private parties can't.

Pay by credit card even if it cost a couple points, if anything goes wrong it's just a phone call to get your money back. The 3% for cards is fairly normal, and I get 3% back on all purchases, so it's a no brainer for me, same as cash but with protection.

If I may ask, which card is giving 3% all the time? I though I was doing well getting 2% on all purchases from CITI.

If I may ask, which card is giving 3% all the time? I though I was doing well getting 2% on all purchases from CITI.
Ya they keep dropping my rate, I call and bitch and threaten to go elsewhere, and they they find a way to bump it back up. But I run almost everything through them and pay 100% each month so we get along pretty well. It was 4% when I first signed with them, so at some point they will probably not bump me back up.

I guess I'll be the one to say it. Don't bid if you haven't already vetted the seller.

Eta - I'm not saying you'll never be nervous about a deal. I've purchased a number of things on GB. One time after I bid I saw what I thought were a few red flags(I even posted about it on NES) but I was all in at that point.

I guess I'll be the one to say it. Don't bid if you haven't already vetted the seller.
This.

I have passed on items because the seller had very few (maybe 10) reviews and only took money orders.

One time I scrolled down and saw the same pictures (not manufacturer marketing pics) under 3 different seller names. That was a huge red flag.

I have probably bought about a dozen guns on Gunbroker. Never had a problem. The only hang-up I encountered was a hold on treasurer checks until they positively cleared. That will not be a problem with a USPS money order. Usually sellers charge a 3 - 3.5% fee for credit cards so a money order is a way to avoid that. Seller in Whacko's case has over 650 positive ratings so I wouldn't be concerned with the seller's integrity. Relax, be patient, and you will get your pistol.

Also, pull up a street view of the sending address.
Postal Money Orders suck by the way. You gotta let like 60 days pass before even filing a claim and then they charge $50 to research it. Total pain in the ass. I use them often but it’s a total suck story if you have to file a claim.

My Gunbroker experience is 100% positive with a single bump in the road. One guy took over two months to ship $30 worth of 25acp bullets. The only reason was I pestered his ass relentlessly.

On time I won a bid on a rare pistol that nobody else touched because it was a new account with zero ratings. I was sweating hard but researched the account and found it to be a pawn shop ended up paying with a credit card. Came with 6 mags worth more than I paid for the gun…

I have never had a bad experience on Gunbroker. Maybe I’m lucky but if your informed and knowledgeable about what you are purchasing you shouldn’t have any issues.

Nice early gun. Triple K just started making after market mags for them. No reviews yet I plan on picking one up in the near future.
This one comes with 2 mags. So for bullseye league I'm good just reload the 2 between sets.

Congrats!

I love my 52...that I inherited from my dad. In fact, I like it so much, that I bought a 952, which is the 9mm version. Here's a pic of my 52 (top) and 952:

full

Frank

I have over 271 transactions on GunBrokers, and never had an issue with sending payment.
I did have a few problems,with the item being junk.I have a 52 that came from a gun club in Germany.

Last edited:
I have passed on items because the seller had very few (maybe 10) reviews and only took money orders.

Hell, that describes me! I get a kick out of sellers who say you need to add 3% to use a credit card, and then only accept credit cards. Hahaha--shmucks. I only use USPS money orders.

Only time I got burned on GB was by a seller with A+ rating and thousands of reviews. "Excellent condition, perfect when it left our shop" but Ruger said it was beyond repair. (Ruger sent me a new stainless one to replace it.)

Hell, that describes me! I get a kick out of sellers who say you need to add 3% to use a credit card, and then only accept credit cards. Hahaha--shmucks. I only use USPS money orders.

Only time I got burned on GB was by a seller with A+ rating and thousands of reviews. "Excellent condition, perfect when it left our shop" but Ruger said it was beyond repair. (Ruger sent me a new stainless one to replace it.)
Even that sounds kinda like a win

So I've been in contact with the seller thru email alot. He gave me some tips on what lube the gun likes.....says it likes to run a little wet as I've heard about these model 52s. Says he's shot it a little but not much onnthe last few years he's had it so decided to sell. Offered me 500 rounds of factory 38 wadcutters and we could haggle over price. I thanked him and said I'm all set with a few pounds of bullseye powder and few thousand 148 grain wadcutters to make my own. Seems like a nice guy.

Feeling better about it now.

I paid with cc....s sent him my ffl info and he's sent me his ffl info. Says he's dropping it off to his ffl for shipment tomorrow and will send tracking info. Seems legit. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing and test it out. Will hit the press tomorrow night and make up some test batches of ammo.

The model 52 shipped. I have the tracking info says delivery to ffl should be today. Sorry about the play by play I'm just excited. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.
gunbroker is nothing to be afraid of, but you need to be diligent on what price you end up with, as same with ebay auctions - it is possible to end up overpaying.

Back
Top Bottom