• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first gunbroker purchase....HELP!

whacko

NES Member
Ok so I won a bid on gunbroker. Was not expecting to win the bid with what I set at my highest price but I did and it's a good purchase.

This is my first ever dive into gunbroker purchases so need some advice.

1. I have an ffl to receive the transfer....old army buddy and I texted him and asked before I started bidding.

2. The seller info on gunbroker was an a+ rating so went ahead and bid.

3. The seller has already emailed me and asked for the receiving ffl info which I'll give to him via email tomorrow.

4. Seller will take usps money order mailed to him or credit via some electronic invoice system. I'd prefer the usps money order amd can get that done and mailed tomorrow.

5. Help.....what research should I do before mailing this payment? Ask for his shipping ffl (he says he's shipping via ffl as he is not a dealer)? His name and city are in the email......Google and snoop on him first or just trust the a+ rating on gunbroker?

Guys help calm my nerves lol this pistol is way north of $1k and I don't want to get f***ed.......what would you recommend before sending that money order?

Ok so I won a bid on gunbroker. Was not expecting to win the bid with what I set at my highest price but I did and it's a good purchase.

This is my first ever dive into gunbroker purchases so need some advice.

1. I have an ffl to receive the transfer....old army buddy and I texted him and asked before I started bidding.

2. The seller info on gunbroker was an a+ rating so went ahead and bid.

3. The seller had emailed me and asked for the receiving ffl info which I'll give to him via email tomorrow.

4. Seller will take usps money order mailed to him or credit via some electronic invoice system. I'd prefer the usps money order amd can get that done and mailed tomorrow.

5. Help.....what research should I do before mailing this payment? Ask for his shipping ffl (he says he's shipping via ffl as he is not a dealer)? His name and city are in the email......Google and snoop on him first or just trust the a+ rating on gunbroker?

Guys help calm my nerves lol this pistol is way north of $1k and I don't want to get f***ed.......what would you recommend before sending that money order?
If you're concerned, I would see what the online invoice is and probably pay that way with a card. Then if it goes bad, I can at least do a charge back. Also, you now need to post the link to the listing so we can judge you outwardly but be jealous quietly.

Depends on how many reviews for that A+ rating. If it’s just a few, do more due diligence. If it’s more than 50, I’d just trust it. But confirm he is shipping from an FFL and/or ask if your buddy is okay receiving from a non-FFL private shipper.

Depends on how many reviews for that A+ rating. If it’s just a few, do more due diligence. If it’s more than 50, I’d just trust it. But confirm he is shipping from an FFL and/or ask if your buddy is okay receiving from a non-FFL private shipper.
Yes, I had a problem getting something from a non-ffl shipper once. It went thru but my ffl wasn’t to happy. He might need to go thru a ffl to ship to yours.

Seller says he'll be using an ffl to ship.

Yes, I had a problem getting something from a non-ffl shipper once. It went thru but my ffl wasn’t to happy. He might need to go thru a ffl to ship to yours.

I’ve had to pay an additional FFL transfer fee so the guy would go through an FFL, because my FFL doesn’t accept private shipments.

Yep . Random magazines I needed. New old stock. Everything went fine and as agreed. He shipped quickly
You sound like a gunbroker regular....

So what do you think with this guy? Ask his ffl shipper info....mthen Just do the usps money order and email him my ffl receiving info and not worry?

Congrats man. I have no flippin clue what that pistol is, but you seem excited, so I'm happy for ya!
Target pistol s and w made from 1961 to 1993 in small yearly quantities. It is chambered in .38 special but flush seated wadcutters only. It was high end bullseye league pistol to have back in the day. Been wanting one for a long time.

You sound like a gunbroker regular....

So what do you think with this guy? Ask his ffl shipper info....mthen Just do the usps money order and email him my ffl receiving info and not worry?
There isn't anything wrong with asking for any info that makes you feel better. I'm sure he's used to it.
If it were me. I would ask for the info "to pass along to my ffl" like I was just making it easier.
I also wouldn't worry. In the past 12 months he hasn't had even a neutral feedback, let alone a negative. I would be happy with the purchase and just wait it out. Definitely tracking numbers though

Target pistol s and w made from 1961 to 1993 in small yearly quantities. It is chambered in .38 special but flush seated wadcutters only. It was high end bullseye league pistol to have back in the day. Been wanting one for a long time.
Sounds kickass.

I have a 5906 PPC on my "list".... Whenever I find a spare $2500 to drop on a safe queen.

This model 52 won't be a safe queen. I've taken a liking to bullseye league shooting. She'll get used regularly.
I wish I could say the same. When @JDL mentioning it in passing back when I did my LTC class with him (pre covid IIRC) as a possible first pistol, I immediately went in hard on looking for them, mag availability, etc etc. I have a bad habit of breaking things in the most ridiculous ways.... like my ankle while playing miniature golf. Or a cell phone I set down, picked up 5 mins later, felt what I can only describe as "tension" on the glass face, and watched it shatter like it took a belly flop from the 30th floor in my hand. The screen literally grenaded in my hand to the point I was picking shards of screen out of my skin. So sadly, something as rare and beautiful as that is going to sit somewhere in a nitrogen chamber to be admired, away from my bad juju hands.

Last edited:
an you call him and say hello? I’ve made a few GB purchases and always like to speak to the seller first.

Back
Top Bottom