Where did you buy your first gun?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
With the "Where did you grow up" thread well over 120 posts, I thought I'd start something more relevant (read: near and dear to our hearts!): Where did you buy your first gun, and what was it?

I'll start:
I bought my first gun, a S&W Model 19 (.357 Magnum) with a 4" barrel, from J&J guns in Bayonne, NJ.

I will play; S&W 28 Highway patrolman,4" 357 from Gun and Sport North in Lawrence. Great guys, Robert is boss, David...miss you SPG

Way back when.... I bought a Mossberg 500A shotty from The Outdoorsman in West Boylston. I ended up changing the stock and forearm to black synthetic shortly after. Many a pheasant nosedived into the brush from that little gem. Wish I still had it.

I'm not sure of the exact spot or if it's still there, but it was a gun shop in Framingham, on Rt. 30 I think, in 1981, when I turned 18. A Vietnam vet I worked with got me into shooting, with his AR 7 and "prodded" the Marlboro PD into giving me my FID.

Last edited:
SIG 226 in 9mm from The Gun Room.

Which I traded for Kahr K-9 at Zenk's.

Which I've since sold to a fellow NESer.

Originally I wanted a CZ-75. Didn't know you couldn't buy them new from an FFL here. [crying]

Four Seasons Sig 239, Ruger 10/22, Savage 114. Don't remember which I bought first as I bought them the same day.

Dad gave me my first gun (.22 revolver) the day my permit came in.

Bought a .40SW I think it was a Smith & Wesson 4039 or something like that from AAA Guns in Springfield, MA...awful DAO trigger that was a police trade in. I hated it and traded it on a 9mm P99 from Pete's in Adams, MA.

Last edited:
I bought a Walther P22 from Carl at Four Seasons. I still love shooting it and it is a great gun to return to for troubleshooting grip and grouping issues.
Best Regards.

I bought an M1 Carbine from a co-worker in 1981 along with twenty 15-round mags, ten 30-round mags, and 1000 rounds of ammo for $100. I still have the carbine and mags, and I'm still reloading some of the brass.

In 1955 I got my first gun at Sears. It was a J.C. Higgins single shot bolt action... one of thousands like it. It had a Cocking safety on back of the bolt. With a couple of boxes of shells and a cleaning kit, it ran just under $20. I was 6. The first gun I purchased myself was probably an Ithaca 37 Featherweight 20 Ga. with adjustable Marble choke.

A Mossberg 12ga Bolt action slug gun in Farmingdale NY in 1978. Wish I still had it. $65.00 out the door. Accurate bugger. jp

My grandfather took me to a Sears in Knoxville TN in 1962 and bought me a 12 ga Sears S X S shotgun and then took me out to the farm and taught me how to shoot crows. One of my little brothers stole it when I went away to college.

The first one I bought myself was in 1968 at Miller's Department Store in Knoxville. They were offering no interest deal on a new shotgun for opening a new account. I don't even remember what it was.

My father bought me an Ithaca Model 49 Saddlegun from the sporting goods store in Smithtown, NY in 1965 - I paid the $5 difference for the "Deluxe" model because that is the only one that was in stock (Dad and my brother each had the standard grade). That $5 got me gorgeously veined walnut under 6 hand-rubbed coats of lacquer, a leather sling and gold plating on the hammer and trigger.

Yes, I still have it.

First gun I bought all by myself? A Ruger 10/22 in 1971 from a now-gone gun shop in Norwood Center. Bought bricks of Winchester T-22's from him for something like $8/brick.

First "real" handgun; i.e., NOT CO2 or black powder? A Ruger Standard Model .22 from Lew Horton in 1979.

Sears in Peabody. Ted Williams Model 200 12ga pump. Turns out it is really a Winchester 1200. I still have it. First handgun H&R model 929 4" 9 shot .22 cal revolver. MVP sports in Danvers. Paid $99 new in box. Still have it.

A Marlin Model 60, 1965 at a K-Mart in Charlotte, NC. Had to present my drivers license to prove I was 16. Those were the days.

Back
Top Bottom