Where did you buy your first gun?

Ruger 10/22 with pistol grip and folding stock from MVP sports.

I've since sold it. Most guns I've sold I could not care less, but it's one of three that I would like back.

A "sporterised" M91 Carcano for $7.77 at J.M. Fields in Salem, MA. 1962. I was 16 at the time. The sales clerk recorded my name and address on a paper bag. Ammo was $3.00 for 18 rounds of 6.5mm Italian surplus. I had it for a month before my father found it. The conversation went something like this: Dad "Why didn't you tell me about this? Did you think I wouldn't let you keep it?" Me "Uh huh." Dad "How long have you had it?" Me "About a month." Dad "Then I guess it's too late to bring it back. When are we going to shoot it?" After that I bought whatever I could afford. I had a lot of fun with it but I traded it later as my interests changed.
Charlie

I'm not sure of the exact spot or if it's still there, but it was a gun shop in Framingham, on Rt. 30 I think, in 1981, when I turned 18. A Vietnam vet I worked with got me into shooting,
Was that Bay State Arms?

Ruger 10/22 with pistol grip and folding stock from MVP sports.

I've since sold it. Most guns I've sold I could not care less, but it's one of three that I would like back.
Yeah, a lot of people - including the Dwarven1 - have made that mistake!

However... stay tuned in the April (or maybe May) New Acquisitions thread... I may have something nice to show.

A Marlin Model 60 from a friend of mine's father when I was a yungin' living in CT. Long since has been sold. [frown]

I have a Marlin Mod. 60. Nice rifle. Got it as part of a package deal from a guy who was down on his luck with a restraining order. I took him to the PD in Montague (I seem to recall) and had to sign for his guns, which also included a Mossberg 500A and a Winchester Mod. 140 20ga. He sold me the lot right there on the spot for about two-hunnerd.

But my first gun buy .... I forget if it was the venerable Remington 11-48, which I bought out of the trunk of a guy's car at work, or the Beretta .380 pistol I bought from a MSP acquaintance of mine way back when. The pistol was defective. Kept throwing out some wacky c-clip (or e-clip ... I forget) and I ended up selling it in the neighborhood to a Lebanese FFL.

This has been interesting to read all this "history"!!

As for me - still a newbie...

A Taurus PT-111 Pro. Got it where I have purchased 2 more hand guns - Shoot Straight, Tampa.

ruger P85 9mm (used-old then) at McElhinnys in waltham MA. Wow thats over 14 years ago and that thing is still going strong.

My dad gave me a ruger mkII for my high school graduation. 1992

Marlin model 60 at K-Mart ~25 years ago. Actually bought it as a gift for a friend, his wife gave it back to me a couple years ago after they split up.

Just started shooting again last year after 20+ years and bought a M&P 40 at Four Seasons, not the best choice for a first handgun.

Bought with my father, but it was mine: a Remington .22 rifle (don't remember the model) at Stanley Andrews Sporting Goods in San Diego, CA in 1970. A few days later we picked up a High Standard Double-Nine (W-104) .22 with stag grips there too. I was 9 or 10 years old at the time. I still have the High Standard.

A Colt 1911 in 1969 at a pawn shop in KilleenTexas, gave them a large Sony 8 track stereo and a bunch of 8 track tapes for it.

The stereo was worth alot more than the Colt but it was so big I couldn't carry it home..

My first rifle was bought in 1999 at Carters country in Spring Texas. It was a Weatherby synthetic chambered in 30-378 Weatherby mag.

I loved that gun, it was a real cannon. I would shoot that thing and everyone at the range wanted to know what it was.

My next 2 rifles were a rem 700 VLS in 22-250 and a Ruger number 1 in 416 rem mag.

Don't have any of them anymore, but I will buy another 30-378 wby mag soon

Nick

First gun I bought all by myself? A Ruger 10/22 in 1971 from a now-gone gun shop in Norwood Center. Bought bricks of Winchester T-22's from him for something like $8/brick.

QUOTE]

Scrivener, would that shop happen to have been Ortin's Sporting goods? I bought many a gun there, and spent many hours of my precious youth leaning on the counter listening to Tony's stories. Quite a place, and quite a guy.

I first bought my Ruger MKIII at Collectors in Stoneham. I then bought my Mosin rifle from NET. I then bought my G33 from joeT and my 1991PD from NET.

I bought my son an MKIII for the same occassion! [grin]
Your son has a GREAT dad!! +1 for being a cool dad.

Arms Merchant in Natick (now maybe out of business) around 1985 or so.
Pretty sure that they're gone. I remember he tried to make my AMT Hardballer work better in the late 80's or early 90's... just made it worse. [rolleyes]

This has been interesting to read all this "history"!!
Pay close attention to the lessons of history! Note how many people are saying that they wish they still had their first guns.

Sometimes History doesn't repeat itself; sometimes it screams "Why don't you LISTEN to me!!" and lets fly with a club.

My dad bought me a replica Brown Bess musket from Dixie Gun Works back in 1987, when I was 16, so I could march with the Minutemen. Still have it and shoot it.

The first gun I bought myself, though, was a SW1911 from Blue Northern last fall. Since then I've been averaging 1.4 guns per month!

Service Merchandise in Natick. My guess is that it was 1985. It was a Mossberg 500 "Security Combo". It came with 18" and 24" barrels, heat shield and both standard wood stocks and black plastic pistol grip. That was soon followed by a Charter Arms Explorer AR-7 that I bought at Lew Horton's in Framingham. I still have both though I haven't shot the ar7 for 20 years. My third gun was a 10/22 (still have it) that I bought, when I was in college, at Woolworth's in Ithaca, NY. Times have indeed changed!

I bought my G29 from a guy from Pittsfield whom I met off this board. I don't remember his SN, but I have the FA10 somewhere. He sold it to me for the real value and not the inflated price and I've loved the gun ever since. 10mm FTW!!

I had a J.C.Higgins .22 while I was growing up and it wasn't until the early 80's I got the handgun bug and bought a Llama 9mm for right around $325. Never heard anything good about Llama handguns but I loved that gun because I was pretty good with it. Sold it for more than I paid for it to buy a Ruger P89 before the AWB became law. Still have the Ruger but wish I had kept the Llama. I could drive tacks with that thing.

Back
Top Bottom