Where did you buy your first gun?

My first gun was a Ruger 10/22, while home on leave from the Army so I could go shooting with my brother. Bought it at Sports Authority in Seekonk, circa 1992.

I bought a S&W 6906 and a Glock 20 from Collector's back when it was Collector's Coin Gallery at the original location. I was still a novice shooter and only 22, but I still get PO'd when I think about how badly the owner treated me as a customer. Sometimes I wonder why I ever bought anything from the guy. I guess I thought it was the best deal at the time and put up with his crap. I don't remember the owner's name but will never forget his condescending sneer and piss poor customer service skills. Anyway, I sold both pistols a few years later and only recently picked up another 6906. Someday I might pick up a G20 again too...

Chris

First Rifle:

A Remington 514 single shot bolt-action .22 rifle at Jordan Marsh
in downtown Boston. I brought it home on the 'T'. Sold it a
couple of years ago to C-pher.

First Handgun:

A beautiful 6" barrel P&R .357 Magnum Model 28 Highway
Patrolman from the Dedham Sportsman's Center on Rte 1
in Dedham Mass. for $98. I sold it to a co-worker and have
been looking for it (and him) ever since to try and buy it back.

Last edited:
I bought a Ruger Speed Six (.357/.38) with a 2 3/4" barrel in stainless steel from AAA Police Supply in Dedham, MA in 1980. Shortly thereafter I became an LEO and I have continued to buy stuff from them ever since.

Sheesh. Over 5 dozen posts and no pics? You guys are pathetic [grin]

RugerSecuritySix.jpg

Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum with 6" barrel. Purchased from Bob's Tactical in Salisbury in 1994. Still got it.

Scrivener, would that shop happen to have been Ortin's Sporting goods? I bought many a gun there, and spent many hours of my precious youth leaning on the counter listening to Tony's stories. Quite a place, and quite a guy.

Yep; Ortin's. Facing the town square, near the corner by the Town Hall.

First Pistol: Glock 19 @ Four Season
First Rifle: Savage MKIIF @ Four Seasons
First Shotgun: Remington 870 @ Dicks in Millbury

A High Standard Supermatic Citation Military .22, bought at McGee's in downtown New Bedford in 1974. IIRC, the price was around $120, a lot of money back then. I still have that gun and still shoot it. My son will inherit it when I pass on...hopefully not anytime soon! [grin]

An M&P9 from Four Seasons about 6mo ago. It's already gone and replaced with a P229R and I have no regrets.

1st rifle was a an Stevens over/under 22/410. Used. FTF deal. Think I paid $35.
1st Shotgun was a 12 Ga SXS. Still don't know who made it. Paid $12 for it.
1st Pistol was a M-19 Smith with a 4" barrel. Bought it from a Dedham Cop who was retired and needed Christmas money. Think I paid $225 for it. IIRC, that was the price of the bike he was buying his daughter.

H&R single-shot 20Ga shotgun from my cousin for $15 when I was 13 (I'll let you guess the year) for rabbit hunting. It's still sitting in my gun vault although I haven't fired it in many years.

Wow, lots of 10/22s for first guns. My 10/22 was actually my second gun - purchased from Service Merchandise in Paramus, NJ in 1981 for $125, IIRC. Still have it, but it's been modified into a Liberty Training Rifle and wears a Weaver K7 scope. Last time I shot it? Saturday. [smile]

Remington 870 wingmaster from a guy that lived in my barracks @ Andrews Air Force Base Camp Springs Md. 1975 Security was pretty lax back then

Back
Top Bottom