• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is one of your favorite absolute horrible trashy junk foods? Must be seriously unhealthy to qualify

is it sold in MA anywhere?
Good question - we buy their eggnog at some local places, including (oddly enough) at Nardelli's, a local sandwich shop. There are some grocery stores that carry it as well.

I have to wonder if there isn't an analogue to Arethusa in Massachusetts.

As for the iced tea I put in the bottles after we drink the eggnog - that's this:

71maymdET6L._SL1500_.jpg

The recipe: fifty-five at one fifty-five for five - easy to remember.

You will need two pots, both of which can accommodate a gallon plus, and a strainer. (I use a stainless pot and a stainless cylinder of the kind you can get at restaurant supply shops.) Both need to be super-clean. Into the first, add a gallon (or a bit more, maybe an additional half cup to a cup) of that Good Water. Start the heat under it.

Meanwhile, using your kitchen scale, measure 55 grams of that tea. No more, no less.

Monitor the heating of the water. It needs to come to 155 degrees Fahrenheit, no more, no less. An instant read thermometer is handy for this, and good for watching as it climbs. 153... 154... 155 and OFF (and take it off the burner) and in goes the tea. Start your kitchen timer timing FIVE MINUTES (no more, no less). Stir reasonably vigorously for the first 20 seconds or so. Then stir off and on throughout that five minutes. Stir more vigorously and continuously the last 30 seconds or so. When it gets to about five seconds remaining, pour the tea into the strainer over the second pot (or in my case, cylinder). Let it drain A BIT (but not completely or else it will overextract and get bitter).

Cover your second pot/cylinder with plastic wrap, and pop it in a sink of cold water to expedite cooling.

When reasonably cool (that is, cool enough to put into whatever home - like my eggnog bottles - you've chosen), GENTLY pour from the pot/cylinder into that container. (I use a funnel.) "Gently" meaning: don't stir up the sediment that has settled at the bottom - that's why a little more than a gallon of water is good: between what the tea leaves absorb and that bit with the sediment at the bottom you'll want to toss, with an extra cup or so you'll still have a yield of a gallon.

Pop the tea in its container(s) in the fridge.

A pound of tea should yield eight batches (and a bit more). So (not counting cost of water or other incidentals), $21 for eight gallons.

I leave it as-is (unsweetened). You can do as you'd like.

Good question - we buy their eggnog at some local places, including (oddly enough) at Nardelli's, a local sandwich shop. There are some grocery stores that carry it as well.

As for the iced tea I put in the bottles after we drink the eggnog - that's this:

71maymdET6L._SL1500_.jpg

The recipe: fifty-five at one fifty-five for five - easy to remember.

You will need two pots, both of which can accommodate a gallon plus, and a strainer. (I use a stainless pot and a stainless cylinder of the kind you can get at restaurant supply shops.) Both need to be super-clean. Into the first, add a gallon (or a bit more, maybe an additional half cup to a cup) of that Good Water. Start the heat under it.

Meanwhile, using your kitchen scale, measure 55 grams of that tea. No more, no less.

Monitor the heating of the water. It needs to come to 155 degrees Fahrenheit, no more, no less. An instant read thermometer is handy for this, and good for watching as it climbs. 153... 154... 155 and OFF (and take it off the burner) and in goes the tea. Start your kitchen timer timing FIVE MINUTES (no more, no less). Stir reasonably vigorously for the first 20 seconds or so. Then stir off and on throughout that five minutes. Stir more vigorously and continuously the last 30 seconds or so. When it gets to about five seconds remaining, pour the tea into the strainer over the second pot (or in my case, cylinder). Let it drain A BIT (but not completely or else it will overextract and get bitter).

Cover your second pot/cylinder with plastic wrap, and pop it in a sink of cold water to expedite cooling.

When reasonably cool (that is, cool enough to put into whatever home - like my eggnog bottles - you've chosen), GENTLY pour from the pot/cylinder into that container. (I use a funnel.) "Gently" meaning: don't stir up the sediment that has settled at the bottom - that's why a little more than a gallon of water is good: between what the tea leaves absorb and that bit with the sediment at the bottom you'll want to toss, with an extra cup or so you'll still have a yield of a gallon.

Pop the tea in its container(s) in the fridge.

A pound of tea should yield eight batches (and a bit more). So (not counting cost of water or other incidentals), $21 for eight gallons.

I leave it as-is (unsweetened). You can do as you'd like.

This has no place in this thread unless you're making southern style sweet tea with it. [laugh]

I appreciate your input but in my case you’re dead wrong. Even V8 juice would put me down. Any nuts, seeds, or corn will get stuck and damn near kill me. I haven’t had a flare up in years but I’ve been really careful with what I eat.
It’s funny, I had divoticulitis five times before they removed the offending section of colon. The Mrs. had it once and came within two hours of dying. Very scary! My surgery was in 2000. I eat all the stuff they say not to and have never had a problem. The Mrs. surgery was in 2018 and she won’t go near anything with seeds or peanuts. Near death experiences will do that I guess.

High Lawn Farm, in Lenox.

Their seasonal eggnog is out on the shelves now, and their chocolate milk is equally good.

No idea how big their distribution area is, but I know I'm in it. I may have had half a quart of eggnog last night, it should have a warning label, something about the serving size being all of it. If I add in a half a dozen Mrs. Murphys maple bacon donuts, it's my favorite near-lethal junk food.

Last edited:

Tully Farm in Dunstable has their eggnog available now (seasonal).
I would have thought that Shaw Farm in Dracut would offer eggnog, but not according to their website.

In comes Nashville Hot Chicken swaddled in honey to close the thread….

Dave’s is halfway there. Gotta go south for the real thing. Birdies in Brockton can get pretty close when they’re not too high to work.

It’s gonna be a short but good life.

Camping, I usually head out the day before the family comes out. I set up camp and that evening I eat half a can of SPAM, fried with half a can of baked beans. I pair that meal with several Guiness. That next morning, I eat the rest of the SPAM, fried again, baked beans with 3 fried eggs.

High Lawn Farm, in Lenox.

Their seasonal eggnog is out on the shelves now, and their chocolate milk is equally good.

No idea how big their distribution area is, but I know I'm in it. I may have had half a quart of eggnog last night, it should have a warning label, something about the serving size being all of it.
Bingo!
Camping, I usually head out the day before the family comes out. I set up camp and that evening I eat half a can of SPAM, fried with half a can of baked beans. I pair that meal with several Guiness. That next morning, I eat the rest of the SPAM, fried again, baked beans with 3 fried eggs.
Community Service? You provide the gas heat for the rest of the family?

I won't put Ice Cream on my list because it's not completely unhealthy but it's a big weakness of mine. Not in any particular order;
• Charleston Chew
• Necco Wafers
• M&M's
• Butterfinger
• Fruit Slices
• Salt Water Taffy
• Malted Milk Balls
• Circus Peanuts

and my number one, Candy Corn.
I could eat several pounds per sitting, easily.

View: https://youtu.be/V376brrfnh0?si=JnCph5YnkaZAQAk8

For me, it's always noodles. I am a snob for top quality ramen.

Also, the local Thai places Drunken or Crazy noodle dishes. (Though not in plastic. )

Man, I can survive for a MONTH on those good noodles packages.

Back
Top Bottom