• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My eyes are not what they used to be.

Hello everyone. My eyes don't do very well at a distance anymore. I'm looking into red dots and am unsure what choice to make. I will be shooting at 100 yards or less. Am I better off with something like a 3x red dot or getting a 1x with a flip to side magnifier? I was going to do a Holosun 510c but I'm not sure that's the right choice for my eye situation. I also have a pretty bad astigmatism so that comes into play. Also, could someone let me know if should I go red or green? I was told green is better for astigmatism. Not sure of true that is. Thank everyone.

Oh and the 3x red dot I'm looking at

Or the 1x with magnifier
Primary Arms SLx 1X MicroPrism™ Scope - Red Illuminated ACSS Cyclops Reticle - Gen II - Flat Dark Earth

This has nothing to do with your question of optics but more on your vision. First there is an eye doc that gets recommended here a lot by members for shooting sports. Somebody will chirp in I'm sure with the name soon enough if you want to not have to get optics.

I too have astigmatism and at one point had to wear glasses in order to drive (failed registry eye test without them). I also had the same, my eyes aren't what they once were scenario so I tried these. They did work in my case and let me focus again on the target.

Just to add: What I didn't know at the time was my vision was screwed up from my job doing graphics on computers for years. After I stopped spending so much time on them, my vision got better. So much so that they dropped my requirement on my license. My eye doctor won't write a prescribed set of lenses anymore so I use my insurance to get Ray-Bans as I'm now better than 20/20.

This has nothing to do with your question of optics but more on your vision. First there is an eye doc that gets recommended here a lot by members for shooting sports. Somebody will chirp in I'm sure with the name soon enough if you want to not have to get optics.

I too have astigmatism and at one point had to wear glasses in order to drive (failed registry eye test without them). I also had the same, my eyes aren't what they once were scenario so I tried these. They did work in my case and let me focus again on the target.

Just to add: What I didn't know at the time was my vision was screwed up from my job doing graphics on computers for years. After I stopped spending so much time on them, my vision got better. So much so that they dropped my requirement on my license. My eye doctor won't write a prescribed set of lenses anymore so I use my insurance to get Ray-Bans as I'm now better than 20/20.
Indeed, father time messes with everything including one's eyes. I am near sighted and farsighted, lucky me. I simply must wear my distance glasses out in the field to see anything beyond 20/30 yards. And I hate it. Pittsburg in November, cold, sleet, snow, rain and I clean my glasses all day. Its a big PITA.

Dr Seymour is the man. Some relief for open sights and older eyes is opening up the rear sight a bit to have more light available.

Fogging on a humid summer range day bugged me so I made some anti-fog. It's simple, about 30-40% Johnsons baby shampoo and the rest water in a spray bottle. Just give it a shake and spray it on. Let it sit for a minute and wipe them dry. Keeps me fog free all day.

After I retired I noticed a decline in my vision. Then by last summer I needed reading glasses. Later last year I went to the eye doctor because I figured I finally needed prescription glasses.

They did a complete eye exam and told me I had a posterior subcapsular cataract in my left eye, other eye was OK. I can only close my right eye (left handed shooter) so shooting was becoming a problem.

This particular type of cataract can form very quickly and mine was large. I was referred to a cataract surgeon but had to wait 3 months for the surgery. By the time I went in for surgery I was almost blind in one eye, shooting was out of the question because I could not acquire the target, could barely see it.

I finally had the surgery in January. The day after I had a post op evaluation and I was 20/20. I am back shooting again.

If you are older and experiencing vision loss get checked for cataracts, they are very common.

Ah, astigmatism rearing it's ugly head again...

I've got a Holosun 512 that's got the least starfishing of the dot sights I've tried. Aimpoint Pro wasn't bad, but Holosun was a hair better for me.

The Primary prisms are excellent, too. With the etched reticles they have, there is no astigmatism issue.

Another no astigmatism option are the Trijicon RMR Dual-Illumination dots. No LED, uses fiber optic and tritium to illuminate. Downside is $$$

In my case, I've found that amber or green have a little less starfish effect in LED dot sights. I'm not sure if that's true for everybody.

Good luck - optics are worth it, but astigmatism does complicate finding what works for you. I've got a 3x magnifier on an AR with the 512 dot, and being able to use just the dot does help up close. 3x prism on another rifle will work up close, but not as fast as just the dot. You might also consider one of PSA's low power variable scopes (1-4x,1-6x,etc.) No astigmatism issues with them, either.

As others said, you should get an eye exam if you haven't recently. I haven't had an eye doc freak out yet when I start talking about seeing sights and firearms optics. The other tactic that helps with LED dots and astigmatism is to run them as dim as you can get away with.

I've got a fairly bad astigmatism - some optics are good, some are rough. Aimpoint isn't bad for me, my LED Acog is rough. RMR isn't terrible, Holosun SCS is more noticeable with the green dot (surprisingly) but it works fine. Recently went Eotech XPS and it's nice and crisp. While I can use all of them just fine, the Eotech is the best astigmatism wise.

I have some astigmatism, have trouble using red dots. I picked up a small 1X Vortex Spitfire prism scope and have been very happy.

With some help from you all, I think I have decided on this guy. I'm just going to add an RMR mount to it.

With some help from you all, I think I have decided on this guy. I'm just going to add an RMR mount to it.
I'm running several PA prisms on my rifles, also because of astigmatism. Very happy with them.

ETA: I have both the 1x (MPX) and 3x (Sig556). I second what M1911 says, if it's home defense, or 100y and under...get the 1x, and get a flip magnifier if you find yourself wanting one later.

Last edited:
It depends upon what you want it for. If you want it for home defense, then I strongly recommend a 1x red dot. Red dots are faster and easier to pick up, with unlimited eye relief (so you don't have to get your head into a particular eye box to see the dot). If you want magnification for messing about on the range, you can get a flip to the side magnifier.

A 3x prism would not be my choice for home defense.

If the rifle is not for home defense but rather for just fun on the range, and you are always at 100+ yards, then sure, why not get a 3x prism.

Edited to add: I haven't used a prism, but I believe that they are less forgiving for eye relief than a regular red dot (like an Aimpoint). So for home defense, I would go with a regular red dot over a prism, unless you have bad enough astigmatism that you can't use a red dot. If you've got really bad astigmatism, a prism apparently works better. But then you'll need to spend more time practicing with your rifle so that when you mount the rifle that your eye is in the correct position in the eye box to see through the prism.

Last edited:
Check out the new Holosun gold dot. After looking at one I wish they were made for all of their product lines but it's still fairly new.
Is it just a different color reticle than red? Or is there some other difference that I'm missing?

Is it just a different color reticle than red? Or is there some other difference that I'm missing?
Yes, it's a different color. I have the dreaded astigmatism, red is really bad, green not as bad, but the "gold" was very nice! They had one at my local store and I was looking at and comparing it with the green one side by side. I was looking out the window, in dark corners etc. and thought it was far superior to the green but they don't yet make one for my application, a small unit to fit into an RMR cut slide.

Yes, it's a different color. I have the dreaded astigmatism, red is really bad, green not as bad, but the "gold" was very nice! They had one at my local store and I was looking at and comparing it with the green one side by side. I was looking out the window, in dark corners etc. and thought it was far superior to the green but they don't yet make one for my application, a small unit to fit into an RMR cut slide.
Interesting. I wouldn't have expected that.

Back
Top Bottom