• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is one of your favorite absolute horrible trashy junk foods? Must be seriously unhealthy to qualify

Silly-stuff-a-really-good-omlette.jpg

Used to eat the pretzel crisps in the buffalo style and while I knew they tasted salty, I had to stay away when I realized HOW MUCH salt was in a 1 oz serving.

The good news is you get 6% of your iron for the day...

View attachment 818175View attachment 818177

Everything out there that's advertised or recommended as a healthy alternative to something but still tastes good is still unhealthy, but in a different way. Salt, sugar, and fat. If something touts itself as being low in one of those it's guaranteed to be high in one or both of the other. Food doesn't taste good without an abundance of at least one of those, and all are bad for you in the wrong quantities. A little excess salt or fat might be ok if you're diabetic, or a little excess sugar might be ok if you have hypertension, but no matter what, you're not getting junk food level of flavor without ramping up at least one of these.

Lets be real. Using store bought frozen meatballs makes this a lot less of an affront to Italian culture.

As if Italians invented meatballs. And tomatoes. And pisketti. LOL. Oregano and basil are ubiquitous. So basically, they are the New Jersey of cuisine. Take it all from uddah places and moosh it all ta'gethah. [rofl]

In comes Nashville Hot Chicken swaddled in honey to close the thread….

Dave’s is halfway there. Gotta go south for the real thing. Birdies in Brockton can get pretty close when they’re not too high to work.

It’s gonna be a short but good life.

I'll have to go check those out. I have never found Nashville Hot Chicken outside of Nashville that is even in the same universe as the real thing. Everyone seems to think it's some kind of weird sauce, and that sauce is almost always full of vinegar and kind of creamy. It's not Buffalo Chicken. It's literally just dredged in cayenne pepper and fryer oil.

Nice. Patronize a joke invented by a serial rapist. Real nice. ;)

(It's a REALLY old Bill Cosby routine. Funny as hell. Chocolate cake for breakfast. And then his wife comes down and loses her mind. LOL)
“Dad is great…give us the chocolate cake” That album was full of funny

(It's a REALLY old Bill Cosby routine. Funny as hell. Chocolate cake for breakfast. And then his wife comes down and loses her mind. LOL)
The man is just funny. Like piss yourself laughing funny. I swear he could recite the alphabet and get an audience to be rolling on the floors.

3000mg is 3 grams, right? I'm betting McD fries have more salt than that.

. . . damn. I stand corrected. It's only 400mg. OK, the McD's fries at the location outside the Spanish Steps in Rome. It's basically a container of salt with some fried potatoes sprinkled in. LOL. (2g of sodium is about a teaspoon of salt.)

. . . . . RDA (if you trust hte government) is 2300. Average US is 3400 per day. So he only got a day's worth in one meal.

3000mg is 3 grams, right? I'm betting McD fries have more salt than that.

. . . damn. I stand corrected. It's only 400mg. OK, the McD's fries at the location outside the Spanish Steps in Rome. It's basically a container of salt with some fried potatoes sprinkled in. LOL. (2g of sodium is about a teaspoon of salt.)

. . . . . RDA (if you trust hte government) is 2300. Average US is 3400 per day. So he only got a day's worth in one meal.

You want to talk salt on fries? Try going to any chip shop in Ireland. When you ask for salt they put it on with a squeeze bottle. [laugh]

View attachment 818167

Not resizing it smaller. These things I could eat into a coma. Messy as all get out to boot.

I like these better than Devil Dogs. Those were too dry. Though a chocolate factory down the street from my house has dark chocolate covered twinkies. I should get a bunch and save them for the apocalypse.

And while I didn't get McD's in Rome I did get chinese food (and it was quite delicious).

Funny you say that as my wife and I spend two weeks honeymooning in Italy going south to north and spent 3 days in Rome. We just wanted something fast so we got McDs there. Tasted different and the place was more like a cafe then a fast food joint. The fries tasted the same though, which was fine by me!

Funny you say that as my wife and I spend two weeks honeymooning in Italy going south to north and spent 3 days in Rome. We just wanted something fast so we got McDs there. Tasted different and the place was more like a cafe then a fast food joint. The fries tasted the same though, which was fine by me!

I grew up in Italy before McD's made it to Europe, they just started popping up when I left. The first stop we made when we came back to visit was McD's. Now when I go back to Italy and I see McD's I laugh.

Also when we'd come back, after McD's, I wanted a loaf of Wonder Bread & a pound of American Cheese. We had a bakery across the street from the building I lived in there and access to some if the best cheeses in the world. Amazing how tastes & perspectives change from when you're a kid to when you're an adult.

I grew up in Italy before McD's made it to Europe, they just started popping up when I left. The first stop we made when we came back to visit was McD's. Now when I go back to Italy and I see McD's I laugh.

Also when we'd come back, after McD's, I wanted a loaf of Wonder Bread & a pound of American Cheese. We had a bakery across the street from the building I lived in there and access to some if the best cheeses in the world. Amazing how tastes & perspectives change from when you're a kid to when you're an adult.

When we went we were visiting my sister while she was doing a semester in Florence. The only things she asked us to bring her were peanut butter and boxed mac & cheese.

We really enjoyed Italy. It was beautiful. The only down side is I'm a "lets get going" kind of guy and when I sit down to eat I want my waiter/waitress to take my order, quickly get my food and then get me my bill so I can leave. Sure it's OK if it's a normal wait time but in Italy everything is SLOW. 3 hour dinners were the norm. Drove me crazy at first but I started to get used to it. If you want something fast it's definitely not the way there. Hence the McDs. Still wasn't all that fast.

Camping, I usually head out the day before the family comes out. I set up camp and that evening I eat half a can of SPAM, fried with half a can of baked beans. I pair that meal with several Guiness. That next morning, I eat the rest of the SPAM, fried again, baked beans with 3 fried eggs.
Hope you have some screens in the tent for airflow!!

Last edited:
We really enjoyed Italy. It was beautiful. The only down side is I'm a "lets get going" kind of guy and when I sit down to eat I want my waiter/waitress to take my order, quickly get my food and then get me my bill so I can leave. Sure it's OK if it's a normal wait time but in Italy everything is SLOW. 3 hour dinners were the norm. Drove me crazy at first but I started to get used to it. If you want something fast it's definitely not the way there. Hence the McDs. Still wasn't all that fast.

It's one of the things I love about Italy but it's not for everyone. I spent a week in Milan in late June, ate out a few times on my own in the Navigli (canal) district which has lots of cool/trendy spots, was really nice to be able to sit down and have a couple/few drinks and enjoy a nice leisurely meal people watching. Even seated alone at an outdoor table during the busy Summer season no one cared that I was there for an hour or two.

I think I have an album (yes vinyl) with that skit someplace in the basement.

And while I didn't get McD's in Rome I did get chinese food (and it was quite delicious).

It may not be anymore. But 35 years ago. . . . damn, it was 35 years ago. . . . it was famous for it. First of all - it seems so out of place for a McD's to be at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. But I'm sure that a lot of Roma is now corporatafied. (I was in Hah'vuhd Squayuh last year - was shocked that every small store is gone taken over by corporate America. And teh dumb ass Hah'vuhd students railing against corporate America while eating a corporate vegan burger and sipping a Starbucks latte.)

But back then, it was known to just have a STUPID amount of salt. We went in JUST to get the fries. They were VISIBLY salted. It was funny. Then we went to Italian restaurants to eat for real. LOL

Just checked - McDonalds is still there. LOL

It may not be anymore. But 35 years ago. . . . damn, it was 35 years ago. . . . it was famous for it. First of all - it seems so out of place for a McD's to be at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. But I'm sure that a lot of Roma is now corporatafied. (I was in Hah'vuhd Squayuh last year - was shocked that every small store is gone taken over by corporate America. And teh dumb ass Hah'vuhd students railing against corporate America while eating a corporate vegan burger and sipping a Starbucks latte.)

But back then, it was known to just have a STUPID amount of salt. We went in JUST to get the fries. They were VISIBLY salted. It was funny. Then we went to Italian restaurants to eat for real. LOL

Just checked - McDonalds is still there. LOL

I'll make a point of stopping in if I find myself there again.

Homemade artisan gluten free bread, made in a Dutch oven. I don’t make it often because I’ll kill it in 3 days. Butter. Yeah.View attachment 818676Not traditional junk food, but it is for me

Nice looking loaf of bread.

I recently bought an electric home pizza oven and making my own pizza dough has been the gateway drug to bread baking next. I love great bread.

Looking for the best Black Friday deals on Dutch ovens now, and working on my sourdough starter.

In the mean time I keep working on the pizza dough. Pizza is health food, right? Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

IMG_5091.jpeg

Go-to unhealthy takeout on my way: Eagle’s Deli double cheeseburger with fries (Brighton), Mamagoo’s large honey mustard chicken finger sub (Cambridge), any decent brick oven pizza with a thicker crust (can eat the whole thing), and for chain store shit maybe a slice of both the Oreo and Reece’s cheesecake from the Chessecake Factory.

If I didn’t work out and limit my junk food to once a week, I’d be one of those dudes you see on that 600lb show. I have the talent and potential to pull it off. Just an obese oompa loompa stuffing his face with shit [laugh]

But I'm sure that a lot of Roma is now corporatafied. (I was in Hah'vuhd Squayuh last year - was shocked that every small store is gone taken over by corporate America. And teh dumb ass Hah'vuhd students railing against corporate America while eating a corporate vegan burger and sipping a Starbucks latte.)
That is, of course, WEF's plan: the elimination of all small/mid-sized businesses in favor of their Partners.

Go-to unhealthy takeout on my way: Eagle’s Deli double cheeseburger with fries (Brighton), Mamagoo’s large honey mustard chicken finger sub (Cambridge), any decent brick oven pizza with a thicker crust (can eat the whole thing), and for chain store shit maybe a slice of both the Oreo and Reece’s cheesecake from the Chessecake Factory.

If I didn’t work out and limit my junk food to once a week, I’d be one of those dudes you see on that 600lb show. I have the talent and potential to pull it off. Just an obese oompa loompa stuffing his face with shit [laugh]
Now I'm missing Chicken Lou's, where breakfast for the better part of 5 years was Sex on a Bagel (sausage, egg, cheese) and lunch too often was the Spicy Lou'scious Deluxe (breaded chicken, hash brown and spicy BBQ on a bulkie).

Back
Top Bottom