What are you doing in your will with your firearms?

SteelShooter

NES Member
What are your plans for your firearms if you die ? No relatives in MA that are licensed. No other "gun people" in my family. Don't want my wife having to deal with the state trying to 'nail' her on some technicality. Thoughts?

I don't think I will care much at that particular time. But, the state isn't going to come knocking on the door and try to "nail" her. I already told the family, keep whatever you want. If there is something they don't want, or want to downsize, I told them to bring it to the LGS I frequent regularly. I know he will take care of them. Otherwise I would haunt that f*cker from the grave.
This shouldn't be complicated. No grand final exit plan is needed.

Everything is left to my oldest daughter. She gets to divvy up our stuff. If I die before selling everything. My wife and I plan on buying a motor home and traveling.

What are your plans for your firearms if you die ? No relatives in MA that are licensed. No other "gun people" in my family. Don't want my wife having to deal with the state trying to 'nail' her on some technicality. Thoughts?
If I predecease my wife, she gets them. Vice versa also applies. We go together, our two sons get them. They live out of state. We have 10 years left in MA. When I turn 65, our Florida vacation home will be our retirement home. My old Illinois FOID card and our MA LTCs will be nothing more than useless documents gathering dust in the sock drawer. Florida is a 2A friendly state. No permit required to own a gun.

I have a properly executed "gun trust" of which I am the "settlor" and primary trustee. Through the establishment of the trust, I transferred all of my firearms to it. My wife and son are are named as trustees, (and primary trustee in succession upon my death).

The trust also allows me to register NFA items with the trust as owner, and thus any trustee can use the NFA items.

My wife and son ARE "gun people", as opposed to the OP's wife. So my wife and son will keep the guns they want, and (presumably) sell the ones they don't want. I won't care - the arrangement has been made so that the state doesn't make any decisions.

For the OP, I'd suggest looking into the same sort of arrangement. It will keep the state off your wife's back while she sorts out what she wants/needs to do.

I have a properly executed "gun trust" of which I am the "settlor" and primary trustee. Through the establishment of the trust, I transferred all of my firearms to it. My wife and son are are named as trustees, (and primary trustee in succession upon my death).

The trust also allows me to register NFA items with the trust as owner, and thus any trustee can use the NFA items.

My wife and son ARE "gun people", as opposed to the OP's wife. So my wife and son will keep the guns they want, and (presumably) sell the ones they don't want. I won't care - the arrangement has been made so that the state doesn't make any decisions.

For the OP, I'd suggest looking into the same sort of arrangement. It will keep the state off your wife's back while she sorts out what she wants/needs to do.
Now that is a good idea! No misunderstandings that have to be settled after you pass.

I'm one of those people that never paid for life insurance for 50 yrs. As a friend of mine said years ago "you're paying for insurance to guarantee you'll die".
With that said, when I'm dead, I really don't care what happens to my firearms........I'll never know.

My will specifically states that ALL of my firearms go to my son. He is the only one in my lineage who is allowed to possess them in this shithole, er, state.

Further instructions will follow.

I’ve been looking in to doing this as well. Did you go through a “gun lawyer” or just an attorney who deals in wills and trusts?

My states that my guns are bequested to my friends in such allocation as solely determined by the executor of my estate.

Bequested guns have some advantage over guns sold or given away by the executor, as they may be transferred interstate without an FFL.

The value of my guns is non-trivial but won't really move the needle on my estate's value, and I'd rather they go the people who I've hung around with at the range than consignment or some vulture moving in on them.

My states that my guns are bequested to my friends in such allocation as solely determined by the executor of my estate.

Bequested guns have some advantage over guns sold or given away by the executor, as they may be transferred interstate without an FFL.

The value of my guns is non-trivial but won't really move the needle on my estate's value, and I'd rather they go the people who I've hung around with at the range than consignment or some vulture moving in on them.

They go to my wife and then to our 2 nephews who are both gun guys.
We don’t have kids.
I also need to update my Trust. Once I leave MA all guns will be transferred into it but the will is very clear. House, tools and everything goes to those 2 plus a niece and they better not fight.

I have an NFA trust, but thus far have only assigned my SBR to it. Good idea to add the others just in case. Bad idea because now I’ve recorded what I own?

I’ve been looking in to doing this as well. Did you go through a “gun lawyer” or just an attorney who deals in wills and trusts?

I went through a Georgia law firm that specializes in gun trusts. Entire process done online and via email except for witness signature and notary public. There are firms that offer this service nationally - I went with a firm based in my state of residence.

Out wills were drawn up, (and have been modified), by a Connecticut based attorney that's handled most of our legal affairs for the last 20 years or so; it's one of the areas he specializes in. We've been talking, and need to redo them - it's been five years since they've been reviewed. When we do, we'll find a Georgia based attorney to redo them.

I have an NFA trust, but thus far have only assigned my SBR to it. Good idea to add the others just in case. Bad idea because now I’ve recorded what I own?

That record doesn't go anywhere. The trust document remains in your possession. I've logged my firearms on separate pages, so they can be inserted/removed as necessary or appropriate.

I have specific written instructions for how each firearm should be handled. Some will go to my sons (one is licensed so far), some will be sold, some will be donated to my local PD. To answer the OP's question...I would have a written plan to sell or donate each firearm.

I have a list of who gets what that my Personal Representative has access to. She's getting a few of the guns and the rest are going to friends and she knows everyone they're going to. I have no family locally or any that are interested in guns.

I met w/ my lawyer last week about updates to my personal stuff since Madame & I are splitting up. He said that for tangible property bequests all that is needed is a signed letter stating who gets what, you don't need to update the will each time you want to change tangible property bequests plus I can't imagine anyone would dispute who's getting my guns anyway.

i have a designated gun heir. but if i had nobody, i'd be posting in the yard sale section of the classifieds here offering to make someone a designated recipient of my firearms after my death for a monetary donation to me now. highest offer wins. of course there would be a minimum.

i have a designated gun heir. but if i had nobody, i'd be posting in the yard sale section of the classifieds here offering to make someone a designated recipient of my firearms after my death for a monetary donation to me now. highest offer wins. of course there would be a minimum.

I'll start the bidding at $1

No kids but 3 marine nephews and 1 navy neice all with ltc. I'll put a clause in my will they have to duel each other out last one standing wins. 2 of the nephews are animals. Should be interesting.

guns? what guns? I hope any firearms found after my demise are hidden away from the government by friends and family members.

Back
Top Bottom