• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are must haves for a good club?? Considering starting a club.

What are you're top priorities in a club

• Rifle range

Votes: 109 81.3%
  • Pistol range

Votes: 107 79.9%
  • Action pit

Votes: 65 48.5%
  • Archery

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Steel Range

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • Clubhouse access

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Amenities (bbq,firepit,seating,hangout)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Shotgun Range

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Scheduled events

Votes: 13 9.7%

• Total voters
No rifle rest? Laser bore sight?
I start at 50yards and strap the rifle into a rest. Insert bore sight. Adjust scope to cross hairs on laser dot. Remove bore sight, fire a single round.
Adjust cross hairs to impact of 1st round and reposition rifle so cross hairs are on bullseye. Fire single round and adjust if necessary. Two more rounds to confirm.
Move target to 100 yards, aim at bullseye.

What always cracks me up is when guys sight in with cheap ass target ammo. Spring for a box of match grade ammo FFS.
Bore sight is not a must, but I think a rifle rest is. I strap it to the bench with ratchet straps.

I use the same method with irons. Once I have done this, I am pretty confident that the rifle is zeroed.
Good point, should have added this . Laser bore sight for 25 yds ? never need to do this if shooting a 2' sq first at 25 yds. Slap the scope on and your off to the races...

One lesson for club management is that it is possible to have a "Safety First" culture at a club without the "strong rules make a strong club" attitude.

Speak softly, be nice to members when correcting them on procedures, but carry a strong stick (the ability to expel a member for unsafe behavior). Avoid the "I'm an expert and you're not" attitude when explaining why someone needs to do something differently at the club.
Very well said. As a club RSO I have the responsibility to have a conversation with rule breakers, weather it be lack of education or just plain ignorant. I don't belittle a fellow member I politely educate on the clubs rules. Now if you give me a bad attitude, then at that point i'm forced to be "not so polite". I typically have to deal with both types. Most offer politeness.

If you were going to start a club or improve a very basic club what are the top priorities you would want?
Have access to a small parcel of land (25-30 acres) in a remote setting.
Working with a very limited budget and manpower but I'd like some input on things I may not be thinking of also.
Why do you love or hate your current club and what would you do differently if given the choice.
With 30 acres I might see whats most popular that you can safely do with in the shape of the 30 acres.
Then it comes down to how you generate enough income to maintain the property.
Also find any tax exemptions you can.
One club I belong to is a tree farm and it has some tax benefits

I get a laugh out of the people starting at 100 yards. Waste 20 rounds before either getting it on paper or deciding that shooting closer is a better idea.
Same. I can’t tell you how many range friends I’ve had ask me to help zero their scope. I’m like well for starters you can move the target to 25 yards….lol

Getting people to pick up after themselves is always an issue. One thing I have found is that if everyone cleans up their own stuff and leaves it "just like I found it," then the place goes to s**t pretty quickly.

You have to get people to leave things a little better than they found them. I don't know how to instill that culture, but that's what it takes.

For myself, I try to leave 5 extra minutes in each range session. I clean up all of my own stuff, and then I clean up something else for 5 minutes. I might pick up trash, or sweep brass, or put target stands away. It is all stuff that someone else should have done, but if I just take care of it, then the range just works a lot better. And sometimes it is surprising how much you can get done in 5 minutes.

I know most people won't do this, but occasionally I plant the seed with someone else who will.

Very well said. As a club RSO I have the responsibility to have a conversation with rule breakers, weather it be lack of education or just plain ignorant. I don't belittle a fellow member I politely educate on the clubs rules. Now if you give me a bad attitude, then at that point i'm forced to be "not so polite". I typically have to deal with both types. Most offer politeness.

I’ve heard enough. Where is this enchanted wooded wonderland and when will you take my money….

But on a serious note, I think Pelham does have one of the best set up’s. Their action pits are basically individual cement encased open top bunkers.

I also agree keep the Fudd crowd out. To many silly and pointless rules regarding drawing from holster, max rounds loaded, rapid fire, and min distances etc. which really inhibit serious training and skill development.

Get a qualified trainer in there and host classes to bring in new shooters and those wanting to develop skills. Split profit.

It just amazes me the amount of 20-something totally inexperienced young adults that show up with a brand new low power scoped AR and attempt to sight in at 100 yds shooting at a 12" square Shoot N See target. They can't verify their hits (or more likely misses). Thats where I do the right thing and step in and offer help and explain my foolproof method to get a decent 100 yd zero in about 6 shots. Forget about the expensive shoot N see targets.

Cover a piece of 24x24 cardboard with gift wrap (white side out)

Take a cheap 9" paper plate and red sharpie mark a 1" dia bullseye.

shoot 1 shot at 25 yds adjust so as inside the plate. (NO need to obtain perfect bullseye impacts) use masking tape to cover any impact holes )

Move to 50 yds and same deal but now try to get your impacts inside a 3" diam circle on the paper plate. (again cover all shots with tape)

Move to 100 yds , now your about guaranteed to at least be on the paper plate at 100 yds. The idea behind shooting at a all white target is so your bullet impacts are very easily identified as black holes.
Now you can spend time and achieve your precise 100yd zero distance, and not waste a ton of ammo zeroing at the lesser distances.
Sounds too hard...

2 shot sight in.......look it up.

It works best if you have a vise type rifle holder and/or a friend to move the crosshairs while you look thru the scope.

Basically I start at 25 yards, with a 24x24 cardboard wit an X on it. Aim at center X, shoot one shot. Now hold gun steady on center X, then move scope adjustments while holding rifle steady to impact bullet hole. You are now sighted in dead on at 25 and youll be on paper at 100. Go out to 100 shoot one and then repeat the process you did at 25. Your now sighted at 100 in 2 shots.

With a good boresight, I've skipped the 25 yard thing and done this in one shot at 100 yards........typically if I'm hunting with the rifle Ill always do more shots as a double check, or to check grouping.

Last edited:
Sounds too hard...

I do the 2 shot, sometimes 3, but for boresighting I do exactly that, through the bore on most rifles. Wether or not that's possible without a lot of disassembly, I can't think of a time that the first round wasn't someplace on the paper. I still have a bunch of targets on oversize paper with a 1" grid pattern on them that I made and printed out on a Design jet. If it's off a good deal due to lack of boresighting then I'll use the dials and click counts then take a second shot to start the 2 shot.

One time I did feel like an idiot. I mounted a scope on a lever for a friend who then took it to the range. I get a call saying it's off by a mile and can't get it on target. He said the first shot was close but it got progressively worse so I took a rest and the tools to re-mount his scope if necessary with me and had him use the rest and to take a shot. This was on the 50 yard range and using one of my gridded targets which is where I got the brain fart. He was right, it was off by a mile because he was turning the dials in the wrong directions. The scope had 1 click to 1/2 MOA. I gave him the click counts and proudly proclaimed he should be close again. I gave the click counts to get him half way, 50 yard range.

I find I spend most of my time now at the rimfire plinking range which I don't see on your list as a must have or a silhouette range unless it's considered part of your steel range, occasionally the archery range just to keep in practice and I like night time indoor pistol during the winter months, nights because it's usually empty. I only use the pistol or rifle ranges now to zero though in the past I did frequently. Maybe it's an old bag thing or that I'm just settling. The only centerfires I still take are six shooters due to the fact they are just a pleasure and a carry (not to use but to have on me).

it is as deceiving as it gets. you can get into a 3moa box in 2 shots, but to center a group properly around the 0.2moa POI you need way more shots done than just 2.

as of getting on a 12x12" paper at 100yds - i`ve done it plenty with a first shot just by looking through the barrel. but, of course, it is way easier to do starting from 50yds and saves you ammo. unless you are too lazy to unpack at 50 and then pack back and move to a 100. :)

it is as deceiving as it gets. you can get into a 3moa box in 2 shots, but to center a group properly around the 0.2moa POI you need way more shots done than just 2.

as of getting on a 12x12" paper at 100yds - i`ve done it plenty with a first shot just by looking through the barrel. but, of course, it is way easier to do starting from 50yds and saves you ammo. unless you are too lazy to unpack at 50 and then pack back and move to a 100. :)
That's basically what he is saying. Boresighting wether with your eyeball, laser or 2 shot gets you close(r) to center than using up a lot of ammunition to get you to a good starting point which is all it amounts to. You are correct that in final tuning will usually take more shots but you're at a better starting point than just trial and error.

Bore sighting at 100 yds is fine for the experienced . My zero methods suggestions are focused on totally new rifle shooters.

Have you got something that fires simunition?
I did consider something like a shoot house but I don't like the idea of mixing simunition training and live fire so close with people shooting on their own.

Instead I think barriers and maybe a couple framed doorways in an action pit may be alot safer and easy to manage.

The Serbu BFG50A buttpad and hydraulic recoil come out the back, allowing the bolt to be removed giving a clear sight down the bore. I bore sighted with a friends help, then let him take the first shot that day. It was a 100 yards and he put it through a 1"x1" target paster without breaking an edge. Most accurate shot anyone has taken with that gun. Or, perhaps, "luckiest" would be a better description since we were shooting cheap Federal American Eagle from Walmart.

The Serbu BFG50A buttpad and hydraulic recoil come out the back, allowing the bolt to be removed giving a clear sight down the bore. I bore sighted with a friends help, then let him take the first shot that day. It was a 100 yards and he put it through a 1"x1" target paster without breaking an edge. Most accurate shot anyone has taken with that gun. Or, perhaps, "luckiest" would be a better description since we were shooting cheap Federal American Eagle from Walmart.
Ahhh, the good old days - .50 BMG from Walmart.

An annual meet and greet with Maura…would love to hear her views on the second amendment. I’m sure she’d be a great ally if she only got to know us better….maybe a wine and cheese reception afterward too.

You need to hire people that care about the place, many hands run a club.
The trouble with most clubs is that they rely too much on volunteers. And often times those volunteers become, understandably, territorial.
I think a fully staffed, service oriented, for profit gun club, would slay it.

I want table service. Chicks in Hooters type costumes, that will come by the bench and take my order, then bring me a sammich with Grey Poupon.
I want range caddies that will hop on a 4 wheeler and scream down range and change my targets. Then bring it back and tell me how awesome I am and police my brass.
I want valet parking and a bell hop service to haul my shit to the bench.
Then when I am almost done shooting, I want to be able to get a massage from an Asian chick that looks like Kobe Tai.

Back
Top Bottom