What are must haves for a good club?? Considering starting a club.

What are you're top priorities in a club

• Rifle range

Votes: 109 81.3%
  • Pistol range

Votes: 107 79.9%
  • Action pit

Votes: 65 48.5%
  • Archery

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Steel Range

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • Clubhouse access

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Amenities (bbq,firepit,seating,hangout)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Shotgun Range

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Scheduled events

Votes: 13 9.7%

• Total voters
From the article:​
You laugh, but I used to visit a state game lands range that was shut down for terrorist training activity, to include the detonation of an IED.

The Hopkinton pistol pits are occasionally shut down for police training, but I seriously doubt any shutdown for terrorist training would be approved.
I dunno.....

I've visited Hopkinton, and based on this

1661031580066.png

there were a bunch of terrorists. [laugh]

I bet this is only 100 yards. And I would love to shoot there. Would pay to do so.
You could likely put 10 of these on 25 acres if you could get the berms right.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ednu0Na_xXM

He agrees, He has multiple ranges. One he uses mostly for the weekday videos.
The longer range has farm animal silhouettes up the face of a gradual hill. There are multiple gongs. One is at 80 yards and there was one further out, across a draw, at 230 yards.

I usually watch to his 'Sunday Shoot-a-Round' video very early in the morning before the world gets up. It is different than the weekday ones and more a bullshitting than shooting video.

Last edited:
A club where the gate actually opens when you try to use your access card would be the first thing that would be essential.
My club is off the grid. Club house as a big diesel genset and is spotless.
Combo lock.
Outside of basic behavior rules and what you expect out of grown adults anything goes. Lots of steel or bring your own. Pick up after yourself. Don’t shoot the target stands and put them back where you found it. How is this hard to understand?
I haven’t yet figured out how to screw up very simple range or human decency rules.

You don’t have an option in the poll for no stupid rules.

I’m all about safety. But having been a member of 10 different clubs. I don’t know where they come up with his bullshit rules.

You don’t have an option in the poll for no stupid rules.

I’m all about safety. But having been a member of 10 different clubs. I don’t know where they come up with his bullshit rules.
Too many stupid people --> bullshit rules.

You would think that a club wouldn't need rules to prevent shooting bowling balls and boulders. Also people suck and do not pick up after themselves. The best way to turn a range into a pig sty is to allow a free for all regarding acceptable targets.

I have seen one alternative that worked for years. My club in Tennessee had a plinking pit where you could pretty much shoot anything you want- cans, bottles, whatever. I think even TV's were OK so long as you picked up what you could. In recent years that was changed to paper targets only, probably because people suck and were not picking up.

The World gets stupider every day...
Don’t shoot the target stands and put them back where you found it. How is this hard to understand?
It is hard to understand. I recently saw 2 paper targets attached to the wood target stands... that were shot at and left there.

It's in the rules too, and was explained to me (and I assume everybody else) at the 'new member range orientation' which was refreshingly simple and straightforward... but included 'Don't shoot the walls and target stands'

If you were going to start a club or improve a very basic club what are the top priorities you would want?
Have access to a small parcel of land (25-30 acres) in a remote setting.
Working with a very limited budget and manpower but I'd like some input on things I may not be thinking of also.
Why do you love or hate your current club and what would you do differently if given the choice.
Rifle, pistol and steel. The club I enjoyed the most, which is now closed, you could shoot at almost anything. It did get out of hand at times and many folks didn’t pick up afterward (and it wasn’t just the brass). Another club I belong to doesn’t allow shooting steel, which I hope will change soon.

If/when you open I would like to join. I miss the sound of steel.

Too many stupid people --> bullshit rules.

You would think that a club wouldn't need rules to prevent shooting bowling balls and boulders. Also people suck and do not pick up after themselves. The best way to turn a range into a pig sty is to allow a free for all regarding acceptable targets.

I have seen one alternative that worked for years. My club in Tennessee had a plinking pit where you could pretty much shoot anything you want- cans, bottles, whatever. I think even TV's were OK so long as you picked up what you could. In recent years that was changed to paper targets only, probably because people suck and were not picking up.
At a club that I used to belong to, someone apparently showed up, without targets. So they took a fire extinguisher from a hook on the wall, brought it out to the range, and used that....

At a club that I used to belong to, someone apparently showed up, without targets. So they took a fire extinguisher from a hook on the wall, brought it out to the range, and used that....
I think you must have been a member at my primary club. LOL that's one of the things I have had to pick up.

Our range is a bit remote from the clubhouse, barn, and shotgun fields. Unlike the other facilities there is no power and it would be prohibitively expensive to run power approx .7 miles. Before my time they put up dummy cameras that worked for a while but eventually the asshats resumed their usual idiot moves. I put up game cameras that are daisy-chain linked via wireless to a central receiver at the main buildings. Works great and if there is ever a problem we can review footage, which has almost eliminated the shenanigans.

If you were going to start a club or improve a very basic club what are the top priorities you would want?
Have access to a small parcel of land (25-30 acres) in a remote setting.
Working with a very limited budget and manpower but I'd like some input on things I may not be thinking of also.
Why do you love or hate your current club and what would you do differently if given the choice.
Your going to need liability insurance. There is I believe 3 underwriters in the country that cover a gun clubs. From attending meetings, and seeing in depth how the numbers work at my club, plan on about $10k / annually to protect you from the never ending influx of the idiot negligent ignorant people wanting to mag dump their AR's . The insurance company will also demand an inspection of your premises. Your #1 responsibility as private club owner is to ensure a fired round NEVER leaves your property. So this all being said, and your comment "a very limited budget and manpower" , save yourself a ton of stress and just keep your range "word of mouth private" for your trusted friends.

I'm going to go against the crowd and advocate for a sole proprietor owned club. For profit.
It's kind of interesting to me that this group, who is typically anti government, thinks the most important thing is to make sure YOUR club has a good government. There is no such thing. They may start off great, but eventually, they all go to shit.
It is impossible to not have a government.

A government of one is still a government.

So it still applies, either 1 or 20, it is important to have good government.

Don’t shoot the target stands and put them back where you found it. How is this hard to understand?
I haven’t yet figured out how to screw up very simple range or human decency rules.
Remember, people showed up to a car shoot and couldn't hit a car at 100 yards because they didn't sight their guns.

That is why you have target stands shot to sh*t.

I always wondered how the wood railings on the ground (to support target stands) are shot to sh*t in some clubs, then I remember the car shoot and it all makes sense.

Remember, people showed up to a car shoot and couldn't hit a car at 100 yards because they didn't sight their guns.

I always wondered how the wood railings on the ground (to support target stands) are shot to sh*t in some clubs, then I remember the car shoot and it all makes sense.
Maybe it’s just me but I start in close range when sighting in a new gun and work my way out.
I don’t go out and start at 50 or more yards. 😂

100%

The minimum barrier to entry to call oneself a shooter is access to a gun and ammo. Some people really like turning money into noise.

Maybe it’s just me but I start in close range when sighting in a new gun and work my way out.
I get a laugh out of the people starting at 100 yards. Waste 20 rounds before either getting it on paper or deciding that shooting closer is a better idea.

yup. I use a big target and start no further than 50 yards. Ammo is too expensive to not hit paper right away

It just amazes me the amount of 20-something totally inexperienced young adults that show up with a brand new low power scoped AR and attempt to sight in at 100 yds shooting at a 12" square Shoot N See target. They can't verify their hits (or more likely misses). Thats where I do the right thing and step in and offer help and explain my foolproof method to get a decent 100 yd zero in about 6 shots. Forget about the expensive shoot N see targets.

Cover a piece of 24x24 cardboard with gift wrap (white side out)

Take a cheap 9" paper plate and red sharpie mark a 1" dia bullseye.

shoot 1 shot at 25 yds adjust so as inside the plate. (NO need to obtain perfect bullseye impacts) use masking tape to cover any impact holes )

Move to 50 yds and same deal but now try to get your impacts inside a 3" diam circle on the paper plate. (again cover all shots with tape)

Move to 100 yds , now your about guaranteed to at least be on the paper plate at 100 yds. The idea behind shooting at a all white target is so your bullet impacts are very easily identified as black holes.
Now you can spend time and achieve your precise 100yd zero distance, and not waste a ton of ammo zeroing at the lesser distances.

I think you must have been a member at my primary club. LOL that's one of the things I have had to pick up.

Our range is a bit remote from the clubhouse, barn, and shotgun fields. Unlike the other facilities there is no power and it would be prohibitively expensive to run power approx .7 miles. Before my time they put up dummy cameras that worked for a while but eventually the asshats resumed their usual idiot moves. I put up game cameras that are daisy-chain linked via wireless to a central receiver at the main buildings. Works great and if there is ever a problem we can review footage, which has almost eliminated the shenanigans.
How did you power the cameras? Solar?

How did you power the cameras? Solar?
Not yet, I just change out D-cells a couple times per year. Costs the club about $60 per year in batteries. Glad you asked that, as eventually I had planned to install the solar kits. Actually I might be able to use some sort of plug-in adapter for the home unit. Using Cuddyback cameras to do this.

We did solar for the cameras and wifi at Hopkinton, but had a member who was excellent at overkill so he masterminded the solar power.

We have a solar panel arrays at two locations - one is on the rifle range cover, and the other covers almost all of the roof of a 20x40 connex box. Each feeds an MPPT controller that charges 4 deep cycle marine batteries, that power a 1KW inverter that is used to power cameras and wifi. We didn't have good line of sight so we spent $35K to have about 2000 ft of single mode fiber run in conduit (also included plus a spare 2" schedule 40 conduit for possible future line power to replace solar). The inverter only kicks on during daylight to prevent evening battery drain, so we power the lights in the storage buildings directly off the 12v batteries. We have one of our cameras upload a still to hsasports.com every 30 minutes so our members can see if the winter plowing is done before they drive out to use the ranges.

Forgot to mention - cameras and Wifi points are all hardwired using POE, and we use Netgear routers with 8 POE ports and two SFP ports for the fiber mini-gbics.

Last edited:
It just amazes me the amount of 20-something totally inexperienced young adults that show up with a brand new low power scoped AR and attempt to sight in at 100 yds shooting at a 12" square Shoot N See target. They can't verify their hits (or more likely misses). Thats where I do the right thing and step in and offer help and explain my foolproof method to get a decent 100 yd zero in about 6 shots. Forget about the expensive shoot N see targets.

shoot 1 shot at 25 yds adjust so as inside the plate. (NO need to obtain perfect bullseye impacts) use masking tape to cover any impact holes )

Move to 50 yds and same deal but now try to get your impacts inside a 3" diam circle on the paper plate. (again cover all shots with tape)

Move to 100 yds , now your about guaranteed to at least be on the paper plate at 100 yds. The idea behind shooting at a all white target is so your bullet impacts are very easily identified as black holes.
Now you can spend time and achieve your precise 100yd zero distance, and not waste a ton of ammo zeroing at the lesser distances.
This is why I tell new shooters / wannabees at the Hunter Ed classes, "If you're not experienced, find an Old Guy (then I tug on my grey beard) to give you tips and suggestions."

It's not a matter of smarts, but of experience.

When i sight in a new firearm.. I shoot into a sand pile/berm at about 50 yards before I even bother moving to a target.you can see the sand react .. It gets you within a foot and 50 yards then I actually trying to sight it in.

I hate the hundred yard guessing game.. The second you can hit the paper the adjustments are easy.

Last edited:
I'm on an existing BoD already and am familiar with multiple clubs. I have all these things covered as far as insurance, abutters, zoning and permitted use etc

I'm more interested in features that attract people to clubs and what offerings are wanted and less interested at this point on the how to run it etc although I do appreciate all the posts from that angle.

After being a member of two clubs in Eastern Mass without them, action pits are easily the biggest draw for me at this point.

I train up at Sig a few times a year, and it sometimes feels like a waste not being able to train much of what was taught because of club rules against drawing from the holster, moving, etc. I get that rules are there mostly for the dumbasses, but FFS an intelligence test upon entry so the rest of us don't have to suffer.

No rifle rest? Laser bore sight?
I start at 50yards and strap the rifle into a rest. Insert bore sight. Adjust scope to cross hairs on laser dot. Remove bore sight, fire a single round.
Adjust cross hairs to impact of 1st round and reposition rifle so cross hairs are on bullseye. Fire single round and adjust if necessary. Two more rounds to confirm.
Move target to 100 yards, aim at bullseye.

What always cracks me up is when guys sight in with cheap ass target ammo. Spring for a box of match grade ammo FFS.
Bore sight is not a must, but I think a rifle rest is. I strap it to the bench with ratchet straps.

I use the same method with irons. Once I have done this, I am pretty confident that the rifle is zeroed.

One lesson for club management is that it is possible to have a "Safety First" culture at a club without the "strong rules make a strong club" attitude.

Speak softly, be nice to members when correcting them on procedures, but carry a strong stick (the ability to expel a member for unsafe behavior). Avoid the "I'm an expert and you're not" attitude when explaining why someone needs to do something differently at the club.

One lesson for club management is that it is possible to have a "Safety First" culture at a club without the "strong rules make a strong club" attitude.

It's very possible but it's probably an alien mindset for most people. A lot of people seem to associate safety with draconian iron fist policy.

Good leadership is a rarity, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom