Wasp/Hornet spray provided in Worcester schools

an alternative to mace, which is not allowed on school grounds
It would be a simple matter for the superintendent to write a memo to himself allowing pepper spray on school grounds.

As to the zip ties - those are for assailants secure any hostages they take.

No need. Wasp spray doesn't cause any significant issues for a person. Using wasp spray as an effective substitute for pepper spray/mace is a myth and most people don't bother to research it.

There are youtube videos of people getting sprayed in the face with wasp spray and their biggest complaint is that it tastes bad.

I don't know what kind of spray they are using, but the stuff I have your going to need a white cane pulling that trick.
A couple of drops on your forearm with get your attention.

I hear peanuts are lethal in schools...

PeanutButter.jpg

I don't know what kind of spray they are using, but the stuff I have your going to need a white cane pulling that trick.
A couple of drops on your forearm with get your attention.
What's in it? There should be an MSDS which lists the contents.

A lot of wasp sprays use pyrethroids, which are very effective on insects, but don't do much to people. Imagine how many people would hurt or kill themselves trying to control insects if they were as effective on people as they are on bugs.

Someone with a lot of adrenaline or drugs in their system won't react to things like pain. Pepper spray/mace are effective because they cause they affect the mucus membranes. Eyes tear up and close, removing vision. Breathing becomes difficult, which slows a person down and makes them ineffective in attacking you, even with adrenaline or drugs in their system (most of the time).

What's in it? There should be an MSDS which lists the contents.

A lot of wasp sprays use pyrethroids, which are very effective on insects, but don't do much to people. Imagine how many people would hurt or kill themselves trying to control insects if they were as effective on people as they are on bugs.

Someone with a lot of adrenaline or drugs in their system won't react to things like pain. Pepper spray/mace are effective because they cause they affect the mucus membranes. Eyes tear up and close, removing vision. Breathing becomes difficult, which slows a person down and makes them ineffective in attacking you, even with adrenaline or drugs in their system (most of the time).

I know the spelling is going to be wrong but cyfluthren .
And pyrethroids can mess you up plenty if you're careless with them.
Plenty of people every year end up in the ER doing dopey crap.
The biggest advantage of pyrethren is that it either kills you or it doesn't , not ten years down the line like the organophophates that built up in fatty tissue till it hit a point where you go bye bye.

I know the spelling is going to be wrong but cyfluthren .
And pyrethroids can mess you up plenty if you're careless with them.
Plenty of people every year end up in the ER doing dopey crap.
The biggest advantage of pyrethren is that it either kills you or it doesn't , not ten years down the line like the organophophates that built up in fatty tissue till it hit a point where you go bye bye.

I'm certainly not saying pyrethroids are harmless, and you definitely won't find me volunteering to get sprayed with them. But I've known and treated several people who have created chlorine gas when they mixed together cleaning products (different brands of toilet bowl cleaner in 2 instances). I haven't yet heard about someone (directly, not a google search) who has gotten sick after using a can of RAID in the house.

This article on Cyfluthrin describes the health effects, and doesn't indicate it has any of the immediate stopping or incapacitating qualities which are needed in a defensive situation.
Cyfluthrin General Fact Sheet

We had wasp spray 5 years ago in the offices of Student Health Services at the university. I also had my Spyderco. IIRC the can said it was effective out to 30 ft. Better than nothing I suppose.

My mom had a vitriolic hate of insects. She would unrelentingly spray Raid on a bug until it literally melted. I kept those memories out in front to reduce my anxiety about how screwed we were if a mass shooter showed up at the Center.

I always wondered if all 20 or so staff all got the shooter with our wasp spray if we could melt him or her.

I cannot support this. It's only going to escalate the situation to the point that shooters will bring their own wasp spray. Where will it end?

The streets will be running with dieing wasps. Wasp lives matter.

Ban assualt spray. It's for the pupae.

I cannot support this. It's only going to escalate the situation to the point that shooters will bring their own wasp spray. Where will it end?

The streets will be running with dieing wasps. Wasp lives matter.

Ban assualt spray. It's for the pupae.

Nah man, f*** the wasps. I support wasp genocide!

Dead yellowjackets, that's what I wanna see!

I'm certainly not saying pyrethroids are harmless, and you definitely won't find me volunteering to get sprayed with them. But I've known and treated several people who have created chlorine gas when they mixed together cleaning products (different brands of toilet bowl cleaner in 2 instances). I haven't yet heard about someone (directly, not a google search) who has gotten sick after using a can of RAID in the house.

This article on Cyfluthrin describes the health effects, and doesn't indicate it has any of the immediate stopping or incapacitating qualities which are needed in a defensive situation.
Cyfluthrin General Fact Sheet

You will find most of the commercial grade wasp sprays have a much higher active ingredient content plus mixed with BPO which enhances the effect or I should say accelerates it. and some petroleum distillates for good measure.
I've learned to never spray that stuff on vinyl sideing as it melts it .
Take my word for it , you get sprayed in the eyes with it and your going down.

On a side note, since the Children's and families act passed it's illegal for them to even have a can of regular wasp spray in the building unless it that mint based stuff.
The fines are pretty stiff too if they get caught with it.

... On a side note, since the Children's and families act passed it's illegal for them to even have a can of regular wasp spray in the building unless it that mint based stuff.
The fines are pretty stiff too if they get caught with it.

Is this a U.S. law, or a Massachusetts one? What is the chapter/section, or whatever reference to look this up?

I suggested this years ago.

A heavy duty sliding dead bolt on the inside of every classroom door would be more useful and functional.
A long time ago classrooms had locks. But there were safety concerns, kids locking themself in empty classrooms for whatever reason, a fight and the door gets locked preventing staff from getting in, a fire and a locked door slowing access, a bad guy takes a classroom hostage and the lock helps him maintain control (a lot of classrooms have multiple doors).

I'm not taking a side or even giving an opinion, just giving you the bigger picture.

A long time ago classrooms had locks. But there were safety concerns, kids locking themself in empty classrooms for whatever reason, a fight and the door gets locked preventing staff from getting in, a fire and a locked door slowing access, a bad guy takes a classroom hostage and the lock helps him maintain control (a lot of classrooms have multiple doors).

The mind reels if my HS computer room didn't have a door lock.
Four ASR33's, two acoustic couplers, two dial phones -
freely accessible from the hallway?
The horror, the horror...

Back
Top Bottom