Wasp/Hornet spray provided in Worcester schools

Heat + carb or brake cleaner is a bad idea because some will react to create phosgene. People that don't know better working in garages or machine shops soaking parts with the stuff and then applying heat (usually torches or welders) when there's still a wet spot in a crevice wind up killing or crippling themselves.

Read this horror story:
Safety Alert! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas
Read that. Pretty messed up. Never used brake cleaner with heat, but plenty of times penetrating oil. You could get yourself in serious trouble cleaning hot brakes.

Every time this comes up I always see the Federal warning about using it on a person - who actually is in charge of this? What law?

I think a gun is obviously a better choice than wasp spray - but it's a step in the right direction. Plus, if there's a bee in the class now you can kill it.

For the amount of use these will get, it's a nice cheap insurance policy. $5 of zip ties will secure the whole building in an emergency, instead of being overpriced on real (and more effective) locks.

Have seen a local welding shop employee at the auto parts store picking up a couple cases of brake cleaner, so I politely and briefly told him the complete story of this Phosgene danger, he listened to my words, but he did not understand one of them.

Seriously, don't they make any good tazers or other close-to-lethal weapons that would be better than this?

school officials got to pick out the specific items they wanted included in them, like hornet spray – an alternative to mace, which is snot allowed on school grounds
School officials can issue permission for mace/pepper spray.

Heat + carb or brake cleaner is a bad idea because some will react to create phosgene. People that don't know better working in garages or machine shops soaking parts with the stuff and then applying heat (usually torches or welders) when there's still a wet spot in a crevice wind up killing or crippling themselves.

Read this horror story:
Safety Alert! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas

Holy hell. I've been using brake and carb cleaner for years, didn't know that.

They may want to look into this, but I’m pretty sure because Ma. You have to be a licensed to use any type of insect control in a school in Ma. Which also needs to be filed with an ipm plan with the state and a written notification sent to all parents and legal guardians that needs to arrive 10 days prior to it being applied.
Not positive, but I think that’s a no no here in crapachusetts.

That was my first thought. Maybe you could send out notice to parents 5 business days before an attack so that they can keep their kids home if they are allergic to wasp spray.

You need Argon to make phosgene, not just heat.

Chlorine (chlorinated cleaners) + Argon (inert welding gas) + heat = phosgene.

Side note, had there been wasp spray in all my high school classrooms, there is a 110% chance at least a few people would have sprayed other people with it.

I thought they had this idea that they could use the zip ties as handcuffs once they have somehow subdued the shooter (which isn't happening, so they have delusional fantasies about how great this is going to work). That would hardly be necessary though... if you have successfully subdued the shooter, take a chair or other large object and start bashing his head in while others hold him down, until compliance happens.

Side note, had there been wasp spray in all my high school classrooms, there is a 110% chance at least a few people would have sprayed other people with it.

lol. 120%.

The zip ties won't last five minutes either.

Better make it a steel bucket, then at least they can hit the shooter with the empty bucket.

Proper storage laws will resolve that issue.

ROFL.

26209.jpg
Pretty sure my avatar used carb cleaner

2eri2m.jpg

Every time this comes up I always see the Federal warning about using it on a person - who actually is in charge of this? What law?

To be momentarily serious, I did some shade-tree legal research on this question some years back, and the intent of the law about "crime to use out of conformance with label" doesn't actually apply to using it as a self-defense weapon. I forget the precise legal intent, but let's just pretend that it's something like "if an approved insecticide gives cancer to fish but has a short half-life, don't spray it on crops next to a lake right before a rainstorm", etc.

I'm not going to advance towards a guy with a gun who's actively shooting, with only wasp spray. Besides, can't this wasp spray defense be thwarted with these:

71VR7NFOCJL._SL1100_.jpg

There was a 3-panel comic strip in National Lampoon named "Preiss and Reese".
The one I remember showed a sequence of cool dudes:
  • Cool: Mirrored sunglasses
  • Cooler: Tinted contact lenses
  • Even cooler: Mirrored contact lenses

I'm not going to advance towards a guy with a gun who's actively shooting, with only wasp spray. Besides, can't this wasp spray defense be thwarted with these:

https://www.amazon.com/HOOLRO-Goggl...3042&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=swim+goggles&psc=1

Only $12.98 shipped. For 2 of them!

No need. Wasp spray doesn't cause any significant issues for a person. Using wasp spray as an effective substitute for pepper spray/mace is a myth and most people don't bother to research it.

There are youtube videos of people getting sprayed in the face with wasp spray and their biggest complaint is that it tastes bad.

Wait, zip ties? So the school is authorizing teachers to restrain individuals? Doesn't that fall under "kidnapping" or "false imprisonment"?
Between that and the illegal use of a chemical to intentionally harm a child it sounds like they are begging to be sued...

Piss off someone even more by spraying bug spray at him when he's already pissed off and shooting at you. What a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom