• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Transporting a shotgun on a commercial flight

FLHTC

NES Member
Just curious if anyone had a firearm go missing on a flight?

I'll be traveling to South Dakota for a pheasant hunt in November. I'll need to change planes in Minnesota. I'm a bit concerned with the safety of my gun. Just curious of people's experiences. I suspect I could ship my gun to the outfitters.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I am aware of local and federal laws.

Either way, I would have it insured. If it were mine, I would ship it to a responsible person with signature required, and already have the return label for its trip home.

How much time do you have between flights?

If 3-4 hrs, then you can afford a delay. If 1hr, then I would worry, thats when stuff doesnt make it to the other plane.

Just went to Seattle with 4 pistols in declared luggage... Check with carrier to see if they hold declared bags for your pick-up

I'd ship it with tracking and insured. I know I could go with the gun on the plane but I hate baggage.

Went snowmobiling in CO. Shipped our gear. Went to Savannah and shipped a weeks worth of our stuff to avoid the extra BS in transit.

I leave with a carry on only. I hate traveling with gear as it's much less stressful for me. I couldn't travel for a living at any amount of $$$

I'd ship it with tracking and insured. I know I could go with the gun on the plane but I hate baggage.

Went snowmobiling in CO. Shipped our gear. Went to Savannah and shipped a weeks worth of our stuff to avoid the extra BS in transit.

I leave with a carry on only. I hate traveling with gear as it's much less stressful for me. I couldn't travel for a living at any amount of $$$

Who did you use as a carrier?

I used UPS for the snomo gear and USPS for our bag to GA. The USPS shipment got a little screwed up. At first I was blaming the postal service 100% but as it turned out it was the fault of the concierge and the storage room at the hotel. The postal service failed to get the required signature and made tracking the problem down a bitch.

Have a destination wedding (what a waste of money) coming up in Dec but I think I'll fly non stop to save a bunch of time so the bag for a weekend shouldn't be too bad. I hope.

My buddy and I flew from CT to SD to do just what you are going to do in November two years ago. I've traveled many times with both handguns and rifles/shotguns, even into Canada. I've decided that the best way to deal with that is to ship them to my outfitter. I assume you've contracted with someone out there like we did. Contact them and ask if you can ship 'em to him. Guys do that all the time. The last thing you need to experience is the loss of your luggage. Don't think it can happen? It's happened to me twice; once when going hunting and once for a Camp Perry competition. I was never so pissed and, while I did them them finally, it was a struggle. So, ship your shotguns out there. When you arrive at the airport, plan on stopping at the huge Cabela's out there and pick up your shot shells and also get your permits. There will be people designated just for that purpose waiting for you in the hunting department. There are a LOT of guys hunting there, believe me. The Cabela's will be on your way, I believe.

Now, regarding the spectacular hunting that we were supposed to experience, we were sorely disappointed.

We got there really expecting to limit out every morning and even made arrangements with a local fella to have the birds cleaned and made ready to ship in coolers that we would purchase locally. Everything we’ve ever seen or heard about pheasant hunting in SD was almost surreal so we had high hopes. We could not have been more wrong.

What happened two years ago is that they had a very wet Summer and the simply humungous, titanic sized harvesters that they use there could not get into the fields. I’m talking machines that look for all the world the size of small battle ships on the horizon. So, the fields went late into the winter to dry out or freeze before they could be picked. Gigantic slews of corn and some type of bean were in the fields, then, and the pheasants didn’t feel like foraging for food where they normally go because they had a buffet right there. Typically this is NOT the case and before the season starts, the crops are down. The birds are in the grass foraging, not the surrounding fields. We hunted over 50 private acres, too. There were thousands of them hidden in those crops that we could not go into. We could hear them clucking in there and once and a while one would fly out but right back in.

In total, honest to God, we got two shots off in five full hunting days. We were devastated but our experience wasn’t unique. The wet weather also affected the population of chicks and they didn’t do well, either. We heard through the grapevine that the locals were keeping this info under their hats because pheasant hunting is a gigantic tourism market for them and without it, the place would dry up.

I would call your outfitter and ask him when they harvested their crops last fall. Did it go into November? As him is they’ve had a wet year again. We never thought to ask out outfitter how the shooting was because it was always advertised as spectacular. So don't be afraid to ask him honestly if they had a good shoot because we wasted a couple thousand dollars just to traipse around the tall grass, avoiding prairie dog (VERY dangerous as you can break your leg) holes and enduring the very, very cold weather working up a sweat for many hours hauling my shootin iron around like an anchor. We would typically walk at least three miles without kicking up one bird…….and we had dogs with us, too!

I sure hope you’ll have better luck than we did or everyone else who was there that time. One group of about 9 guys we met ended up “pushing” the birds with a skirmish line technique. They would walk within arms-length of eachother and push any birds forward to a shooter on the other side. We didn’t have enough people for that and we both feel that that’s unsportsmanlike anyway. Even then they said they only got a few birds. It was a very tough year!
Good luck! Email me if you need any other info. I’d be happy to share.

I've been to ND every year for the last 5 years except for this year. (bird population sucked in 2013 so we went woodcock hunting in NH)

I've never had any problems flying out of Bradley or Logan. Everyone has been very professional and courteous. I've never been asked for a LTC.
Ironically, a couple of years ago about a week after I flew out of Bismarck, a guy had a negligent discharge at baggage. He was asked to demonstrate the gun was empty and pulled the trigger before clearing it. It was very funny because the ND state police said in a news article on the incident that (paraphrasing) "he's made it clear to us that he is going to pay for the repairs, so we see no need to make this into a criminal matter".

I disagree with Cabinetman re shipping. Why spend an extra $200 to ship the gun when its included in your plane ticket?

My large aluminum gun case typically contains:
1) Beretta 687
2) S&W 340 PD
3) 5 rounds of .357 magnum, shrink wrapped. (it does not need to be in original container per Delta Airlines instructions as of 10/2013
4) 10.75 lbs of Fiochi Golden Pheasant 20 ga ammo. (delta max is 11 lbs)

All of this is stuffed into one case. Its legal and in compliance with Delta rules. Some common misconceptions are:
1) ammo must be in a separate case (it doesn't)
2) ammo must be in original packaging. (it doesn't. It just can't be loose)

I've given up bringing a backup gun since most of my friends I hunt with drive there with their dogs and bring several spares I can use if the 687 breaks.

As always, confirm your airline's policy and PRINT IT OUT for use at the counter if you get an ignorant or belligerent baggage agent.

Don

I've checked firearms for flights several times and have never had an issue. I'd suggest you buy a case that is the exact dimensions (L+W+H) required to not be charged for an oversized bag (which can get expensive). I picked one up from Cabelas (SKB brand) and it is designed for this exact purpose, and is the exact dimensions needed. You will also need two TSA approved locks, some airports let you get away with one and others want two locks. When you get off your flight, a representative from the airline you took will be standing with your case by the luggage pickup. They will ask for an ID and you are on your way. You DO still run the risk of them "misplacing" your luggage and not having your gun for the whole week you need it, in that case overnight shipping to an FFL might be a better option.

That being said, again i've never had an issue. Check the bag, tell them it's a firearm and the'll ask to open the case to insert an "unloaded" tag. They do not do any inspections or take any more time than is needed to insert the tag. Often they just crack it enough to fit the paper in.

I put rifles, handguns, & ammo all in the same case locked. Had several airports including Bradley and Charlotte look it over and have never been even looked at funny or asked any questions.

I've checked firearms for flights several times and have never had an issue. I'd suggest you buy a case that is the exact dimensions (L+W+H) required to not be charged for an oversized bag (which can get expensive). I picked one up from Cabelas (SKB brand) and it is designed for this exact purpose, and is the exact dimensions needed. You will also need two TSA approved locks, some airports let you get away with one and others want two locks. When you get off your flight, a representative from the airline you took will be standing with your case by the luggage pickup. They will ask for an ID and you are on your way. You DO still run the risk of them "misplacing" your luggage and not having your gun for the whole week you need it, in that case overnight shipping to an FFL might be a better option.

That being said, again i've never had an issue. Check the bag, tell them it's a firearm and the'll ask to open the case to insert an "unloaded" tag. They do not do any inspections or take any more time than is needed to insert the tag. Often they just crack it enough to fit the paper in.

I put rifles, handguns, & ammo all in the same case locked. Had several airports including Bradley and Charlotte look it over and have never been even looked at funny or asked any questions.

You do NOT use TSA locks when flying with firearms.

The gun is physically inspected and the case is swabbed for explosives while you wait. The TSA does not want to be able to get into the case after that. They also don't want the baggage chimps to be able to get into the case undetected. Which is possible if you use a TSA style lock.

Don

dcmdon, I've checked them many times for many destinations including Alaska, Montana, and the midwest as well as Canada. The issue we faced was that we had a short time to be there and the airport is quite a distance from the destination. We didn't want to have to wait in case the bag was mishandled. Again, having it happened twice (once on a NONSTOP flight!...they put my bag on the wrong plane!) I didn't want to take any chances. There is simply nothing more heart breaking than waiting in baggage claim and not seeing your gun case. And, it wasn't $200 at all but much less. I bought ammo there but shipped the rest home UPS right from the airport. Too heavy for our bags just below 50 pounds. One other thing, by shipping we were planning to bring coolers home as checked bags, too, and that would have cost us beyond our one bag free. All in all it was a toss up.

So, you had the same experience we had in 2013? That was awful and we were extremely disappointed. This year we're making plans for the south and some grouse hunting, I think. I love bird hunting and the way those coveys are supposed to explode sounds exciting! You did have better luck in subsequent years?

Rome

Cabinetman,

I've never had any issues, either with dumb TSA people or simply lost/delayed baggage.

It would not be a big deal if my gun was delayed. Some of my friends have much nicer than mine. I'm still itching to
carry and shoot that Turbull Restorations remake of a Parker Repro that one guy I know has.

Don

Don't mean to derail the thread, but since general traveling with firearms is being discussed anyway, I have a question about "containing" the ammo. Obviously the gun can't be loaded, but can you just have the ammo in mags (but not in the gun), and have that be acceptable? I'm asking in regards to traveling with just a CCW, not hunting equipment. I would want to have just a handgun and 2-3 mags all in the same locked box as an example.

You do NOT use TSA locks when flying with firearms.

The gun is physically inspected and the case is swabbed for explosives while you wait. The TSA does not want to be able to get into the case after that. They also don't want the baggage chimps to be able to get into the case undetected. Which is possible if you use a TSA style lock.

Don

I've never had my guns physically inspected, or looked at for more than a 15 second period when they slide the paper in. I've never seen them actually look at the guns themselves or ask any questions about what they were, only question pertaining to the guns i've gotten is to confirm they were unloaded.

They do always swab for explosives but I left that out because it's irrelevant. I've reloaded ammo before my flight and the swab didn't red-flag me or anything.

I use TSA locks, and the last time I flew they made me buy a second TSA lock from the store in the airport. They INSISTED to me that it must be a TSA lock, maybe they were misinformed (this was in Jacksonville, NC). Prior to that incident I only always flew with one lock on my case. Next time I fly I will try regular locks as I would prefer those, but i'll probably bring my TSA's in my bag incase they ask me about them again.

In the OP's case, you can take the "risk" of it getting lost on the plane and save some money, or pay the extra money to ship via fedex/ups. If it were me i'd just take them on the plane.

Last edited:
Can you just have the ammo in mags (but not in the gun), and have that be acceptable?

Some airlines allow ammunition to be contained within a detached magazine, provided that the detached magazine is contained within a pouch, carrier, or container that encloses the top of the magazine (and protects the primer of the top cartridge in the magazine), but other airlines stipulate that there be a physical separation between each cartridge. In addition to that, some airlines do not permit any ammunition to be included within a checked bag that contains a firearm.

It depends upon the particular airline.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

Last edited:
I know a group of people who go out west to hunt prairie dogs. They all ship half of their guns and bring half on the plane so if something gets lost they have backup.

I have traveled a few times with rifles and sometimes my rifle is the last thing on the belt. I have also had them sent directly to lost luggage and had to pick them up there.
My brother has had them send directly to the belt and they went around before he got there so I guess it all depends on the airport.

Oh and I've flown to Colorado and had my bow put on the belt sometimes and sometimes someone came out a door from the back with all the bows and firearms and check the claim tickets to release them.

Some airlines allow ammunition to be contained within a detached magazine, provided that the detached magazine is contained within a pouch, carrier, or container that encloses the top of the magazine (and protects the primer of the top cartridge in the magazine), but other airlines stipulate that there be a physical separation between each cartridge. In addition to that, some airlines do not permit any ammunition to be included within a checked bag that contains a firearm.

It depends upon the particular airline.

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

Thank you. That makes sense.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but since general traveling with firearms is being discussed anyway, I have a question about "containing" the ammo. Obviously the gun can't be loaded, but can you just have the ammo in mags (but not in the gun), and have that be acceptable? I'm asking in regards to traveling with just a CCW, not hunting equipment. I would want to have just a handgun and 2-3 mags all in the same locked box as an example.

The key thing is they don't want the ammo rolling around loose. Thats what they care about. I've used the original box, ziplock bags, food saver vac bags, and never had a problem. I've never used a magazine. I'd probably stick it in a ziplock bag just to be safe.

Don

The key thing is they don't want the ammo rolling around loose. Thats what they care about. I've used the original box, ziplock bags, food saver vac bags, and never had a problem. I've never used a magazine. I'd probably stick it in a ziplock bag just to be safe.

Don

Don, just to clarify, are you saying that it would be ok if the rounds were in the mag as long as the mag was contained in a zip lock?

Yes.

When I go to ND, I stick my 340 PD J Frame revolver in a pancake holster in the case with my shotgun. The 5 rounds of .357 just get put in a sandwich ziplock bag and it gets put in with the gun.

From Delta's website: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.

A magazine is a box.

The reality is that they don't really even look inside the bag. When you get there its not like they have you open the bag and they have a good look at everything. You just quickly open the bag and put the card in attesting that its unloaded, then close the bag.

There really is NOT even a cursory look inside the bag by the baggage people. The TSA does not look inside the bag either. If done properly the bag is locked with non-TSA locks. You then wait with them while they swab it to see if it needs to be opened for further inspection. Ive never had them bring it back to me for me to open for further inspection.

That's why early in this thread, I joked that a gun case would be a great place to smuggle drugs. Simply because the bag gets such a cursory physical inspection and it is locked with non-TSA locks.

One thing I also do is write my phone number on my gun case in large bold letters so if the TSA needs me they are more likely to call me. I've read that occasionally a rogue agent will cut the locks off. But that is not following proper procedure.

Don

Last edited:
So, you had the same experience we had in 2013? That was awful and we were extremely disappointed. This year we're making plans for the south and some grouse hunting, I think. I love bird hunting and the way those coveys are supposed to explode sounds exciting! You did have better luck in subsequent years?

Rome

I never responded to your question about our experience. Yes. 2013 sucked for us. In years prior we would see hundreds of pheasants while driving to our fields. In 13, we saw a few.

We went from limiting out on pheasants by noon to putting in 15 mile walking days and rarely limiting.

It didn't cost much for us because we hunted farmers land. They know some of the guys in my group who have been hunting their land for 40 years.
One of them is a guy named Donald Smith. He's kind of a gun dog legend in CT. He knows EVERYBODY. But at 86 or so, he's slowing down.

Don

Our property owner was so desperate for us to see birds he told us that we should carry our shotguns INSIDE the car, ready to go. If we saw birds on the sides of the road we could shoot them from the car if we wanted!!! Talk about the difference between states laws! As it turned out, we ignored his suggestion but changed out minds when on one trip back to the hotel we drove by one, single cock. Darn!

Rome

Did it with my youth shotgun team a couple of months ago, 6 kids, 9 shotguns all on Southwest. Print the airline instructions on flying with firearms and carry it with you. Don't give them the combo or the keys. Like others have said, plan your transfer with lots of time. No need to pay extra for shipping.

Back
Top Bottom