• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic stop while carrying

I've been stopped three times in MA for speeding. Each time for 15mph over. All three times I've gotten a written warning. MA police give out lots of warnings.

The cop let me go with a head light that was out and inspection sticker that was out of date by 4 days(I was waiting for the bulb in the mail). Next day a co worker got ticketed for a sticker and they towed his car(Lowell).

I drive a company car, so they wont know that I am licensed until I scream "I may or may not have a gun!" when they get to my window.

A couple months ago I was pulled over crossing into MA on Rt84 because my windows were too dark. So I told them it was my boss' car, got a written warning lol. Almost handed him my LTC instead of my license though.

However, it is always a good idea to let them know that you are carrying, are trained and have trust in their abilities. I usually shout "I have a gun and know how to use it, and I'm not afraid of you!". Works great.

The other one is, "So what if I'm black, armed (or not, it seems), and running away from you, I bet you suck as a shot!"

I've been stopped three times in MA for speeding. Each time for 15mph over. All three times I've gotten a written warning. MA police give out lots of warnings.

Nobody likes paperwork.

Wait - make that 'nobody in their right mind likes extra paperwork'. A lot of younger people nowadays aren't in their right minds.

The cop let me go with a head light that was out and inspection sticker that was out of date by 4 days(I was waiting for the bulb in the mail). Next day a co worker got ticketed for a sticker and they towed his car(Lowell).

An expired sticker isn't a reason to tow, as far as I know....

I suspect that it helped that I was polite, respectful, and a middle-aged guy from the suburbs with no record who doesn't look like a low life.

I'm sure that any normal person can agree with this. Not looking like some punk ass puke with an attitude helps too.

MA police are people to, and most of the ones I've run into are pretty decent. Some even like dogs.

They realize they are writing $1200+ for the simplest moving violation and are often hesitant to screw someone over who didn't commit an offense worthy of that level of punishment. One cop (now retired) I know had a habit of roadside plea bargaining minor speeding tickets into seat belt violations so the driver didn't get a 6 year surcharge.

So I told them it was my boss' car, got a written warning lol. Almost handed him my LTC instead of my license though.
My wife needs reading glasses, otherwise print is just a blur.

She was driving my car once and handed the officer my buddy's FFL instead of the car registration.

Last edited:
MA police are people to, and most of the ones I've run into are pretty decent. Some even like dogs. They realize they are writing $1200+ for the simplest moving violation and are often hesitant to screw someone over who didn't commit an offense worthy of that level of punishment. One cop (now retired) I know had a habit of roadside plea bargaining minor speeding tickets into seat belt violations so the driver didn't get a 6 year surcharge.

Yup.

I think a lot of them look at traffic stops as fishing. Once they stop you, they get a chance to legally run your name though the computer. If you have a warrant, then they've got a keeper. If you are polite and have a clean record, then you are a short striper and they are inclined to throw you back if you don't piss them off.

Depends on the town. Some towns in MA are what I call revenue rhetoric towns, all cites all the time. Most of these towns you could cut the PD in half and nobody would notice, that's usually the sign. What's that saying... "Idle hands spend time at the genitals". lmao.

-Mike

Depends on the town. Some towns in MA are what I call revenue rhetoric towns, all cites all the time. Most of these towns you could cut the PD in half and nobody would notice, that's usually the sign. What's that saying... "Idle hands spend time at the genitals". lmao.

-Mike

For me, Westford would be on the top of this list. Or at least the total DB cop I ran into there. First ticket in over 15 years. Total aggressive *******. As I sat in the Panera while my kids ate, he went tearing up and down the street

A note: I was absolutely guilty of the infraction for the ticket he wrote - if I had seen the sign, which was buried in 7 feet of snow. When I pointed out that I'd never been there and that the sign was obscured by a snowbank or I wouldn't have made the hur, dur 'illegal' left turn, he told me to 'tell it to the judge'. [hmmm]

He also stopped 2 other suckers while I was eating at the Panera there, so he was looking for the revenue. Haven't set foot in that town since, and they and all their businesses can EABOD. And yes, I was carrying, and no I didn't bring it up. The cop had such a roid rage hardon, I didn't feel like having an asphalt breakfast

Keep in mind that some states, other than MA, require you inform any officer on an official interaction (for example, traffic stop) that you are carrying. This does not always go well - google "Canton ohio harless" to see how it can go bad. And note, that even though the court found the charges bogus, he was fined $150 for "stopping in the road" since the system does not like to go away from a case unfed.

I was in a car with two other folks and the first thing the cop asked when stopped was "I smell gun powder, where are the guns" (I was carrying). 15 minutes and two backups later the driver was told "You are exercising you right as an American to be armed and that is a good thing, here is your warning for the violation". And this was is in a heavy moonbat town.

That reminds me of an incident I had with a local JBT once. He approached the car and said "I smell booze". I replied we don't have any booze. His reply: "Well, I smell dope then. Everyone out of the car".

I swear having my ltc gotten me out of tickets in my town Tewksbury. Every time I get pulled over first thing they ask if I'm carrying .

Then I get verbal warnings for shit I could get my car towed for.

What the heck are you guys doing that get you pulled over so much? I am pretty sure that the last time I got pulled over was about 15 years ago. I was in Stoughton center at that stupid 5 way stop the used to have, and I kinda rolled through the stop with the car infront of me because there was a break in the traffic. I swear the cop said " I am really sorry to pull you over, but the Chief wants us to pull over people that are obviously running the stop sign... and you were pretty obvious" "Would you happen to have your driver's license and registration?"

I said " Of Course" and handed them to him. He glanced at them briefly and said " Just a verbal warning, please try to come to a complete stop. Have a nice day"
As I drove away I thought " Gee, it really is good to be a white guy"

So now I am rehearsing responses if I ever get pulled over and asked if I am carrying. I think I am going to go with... " Yes, and it is much nicer than that POS M&P that they make you carry"

What the heck are you guys doing that get you pulled over so much? I am pretty sure that the last time I got pulled over was about 15 years ago. I was in Stoughton center at that stupid 5 way stop the used to have, and I kinda rolled through the stop with the car infront of me because there was a break in the traffic. I swear the cop said " I am really sorry to pull you over, but the Chief wants us to pull over people that are obviously running the stop sign... and you were pretty obvious" "Would you happen to have your driver's license and registration?"

I said " Of Course" and handed them to him. He glanced at them briefly and said " Just a verbal warning, please try to come to a complete stop. Have a nice day"
As I drove away I thought " Gee, it really is good to be a white guy"

So now I am rehearsing responses if I ever get pulled over and asked if I am carrying. I think I am going to go with... " Yes, and it is much nicer than that POS M&P that they make you carry"

Ordered a head light bulb to save 50$ (hid) got delayed so my inspection sticker expired .

Cut a guy off then hit the gas so I would get rear ended when I realized he just left his blinker on and wasn't turning in .

Stupid shit like rolling backwards on a hill making my tires chirp. Once the cop realized I drove a manual he realized I wasn't trying to be a dumb ass .

Really? Perhaps you've heard of the U.S. Constitution?
Apparently I was wrong. However, if you've read many recent 4th and 5th amendment rulings by SCOTUS you'll realize that I wasn't very wrong, and they don't think the constitution means nearly as much as you or I do. For example, you must state that you are exercising your right to remain silent, plain silence can be held against you.

I was stopped a few months ago for having a tail light out. It was on 140 in Franklin on a Saturday morning, when the cop walked up to the car my dog barked, the cop jumped back into traffic and luckily was hit by another car. I think he was so shaken up by it he didn't even ask for my license and just said fix the tail light.

Hunh. I sometimes go a Sunday drive with my pup. I should try speeding next time. (She likes to say "Hi" to people by barking)

Here's a totes cray cray adorbs pic of her yawning:

101121_pit_bull.jpg

I was stopped a few months ago for having a tail light out. It was on 140 in Franklin on a Saturday morning, when the cop walked up to the car my dog barked, the cop jumped back into traffic and luckily was hit by another car. I think he was so shaken up by it he didn't even ask for my license and just said fix the tail light.

Woops, I meant luckily was NOT hit by another car!!!

Good thing he didn't shoot the dog. Kind of not kidding.

Re likelihood of getting a ticket. A couple of years ago, I think it was a Patch reporter who went around and found out how many traffic citations all the Boston metro towns had issued in the previous year. Then he divided the citations by population and came up with a rate of citations.

The difference between the best and worst town was something like 5x. Ironically, Medford - the town with mister road rage cop on the force, had one of the lowest rates of giving traffic infractions. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Don

One cop (now retired) I know had a habit of roadside plea bargaining minor speeding tickets into seat belt violations so the driver didn't get a 6 year surcharge.

You say this like its a good thing and the cop is doing you a favor and not like the extortion it is. Is fining someone for something they know they didn't do a good thing?

No. It certainly isn't. It's actually quite immoral.

You say this like its a good thing and the cop is doing you a favor and not like the extortion it is. Is fining someone for something they know they didn't do a good thing?

No. It certainly isn't. It's actually quite immoral.

Oh bullshit. I'll happily take a fine for "no seatbelt" when the actual violation was 75 in a 55 and both parties know I was doing 75 in a 55. I'm getting slapped on the wrist to say "you can't just get away with it", rather than a fcking by the state and insurance companies. 20 over in CT can get you locked up for reckless endangerment.

Good thing he didn't shoot the dog. Kind of not kidding.

Re likelihood of getting a ticket. A couple of years ago, I think it was a Patch reporter who went around and found out how many traffic citations all the Boston metro towns had issued in the previous year. Then he divided the citations by population and came up with a rate of citations.

The difference between the best and worst town was something like 5x. Ironically, Medford - the town with mister road rage cop on the force, had one of the lowest rates of giving traffic infractions. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Don

There was one officer in my town (he's long since retired) that was infamous for stopping speeders and giving them 5 minute lecture (they hated it, they were "losing time") instead of a ticket. Many officers give warnings (verbal and written) vs. tickets. So the research might be interesting but can't possibly tell the real story.

Oh bullshit. I'll happily take a fine for "no seatbelt" when the actual violation was 75 in a 55 and both parties know I was doing 75 in a 55. I'm getting slapped on the wrist to say "you can't just get away with it", rather than a fcking by the state and insurance companies. 20 over in CT can get you locked up for reckless endangerment.

^^^^This.

Back
Top Bottom