Traffic stop while carrying

Oh bullshit. I'll happily take a fine for "no seatbelt" when the actual violation was 75 in a 55 and both parties know I was doing 75 in a 55. I'm getting slapped on the wrist to say "you can't just get away with it", rather than a fcking by the state and insurance companies. 20 over in CT can get you locked up for reckless endangerment.

I got a ticket speeding going to the airport at 1 am. The speed going into the tunnel is 30 and the Statie said he clocked me at 55 and gave me a ticket. He was Joe Hardass and since there is no traffic at that time he probably thought he could bust balls. I honestly didn't know the speed limit and it seemed like a safe speed for the conditions. I fought it South Boston district court by telling the magistrate that the surcharges were a burden. She agreed and thanked me for my honesty and dismissed the ticket and suggested that I bring a copy of her decision to my insurance company so they didn't assess the surcharges anyways.

Good thing he didn't shoot the dog. Kind of not kidding.

Re likelihood of getting a ticket. A couple of years ago, I think it was a Patch reporter who went around and found out how many traffic citations all the Boston metro towns had issued in the previous year. Then he divided the citations by population and came up with a rate of citations.

The difference between the best and worst town was something like 5x. Ironically, Medford - the town with mister road rage cop on the force, had one of the lowest rates of giving traffic infractions. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Don

Eh, a better metric would be warnings (whether verbal or written) versus tickets. That is a better indicator of how "ticket" happy a town is. Additionally, we don't know how many infractions go unnoticed in a give year. That is the better info to have than dividing # of tickets by population.

Oh bullshit. I'll happily take a fine for "no seatbelt" when the actual violation was 75 in a 55 and both parties know I was doing 75 in a 55. I'm getting slapped on the wrist to say "you can't just get away with it", rather than a fcking by the state and insurance companies. 20 over in CT can get you locked up for reckless endangerment.

Arguing that it could be worse doesn't mean a lesser ticket for something you didn't do is okay.

Arguing that it could be worse doesn't mean a lesser ticket for something you didn't do is okay.

I WAS GUILTY OF DOING 75 IN A 55.
That's reckless endangerment in CT.
That's handcuffs, trip to the local lockup, tow/impound the vehicle, court appearance, and that's just the beginning.

It's absolutely "okay" with me for the cop to write me a "no seatbelt" ticket and tell me to slow down.
He cut me a major break, and I thanked him.

I BROKE THE LAW, I GOT CAUGHT. HE CUT ME A BREAK.

What part of this don't you understand?

Or do you understand what I've written, but just don't agree with my perspective?

- - - Updated - - -

I got a ticket speeding going to the airport at 1 am. The speed going into the tunnel is 30 and the Statie said he clocked me at 55 and gave me a ticket. He was Joe Hardass and since there is no traffic at that time he probably thought he could bust balls. I honestly didn't know the speed limit and it seemed like a safe speed for the conditions. I fought it South Boston district court by telling the magistrate that the surcharges were a burden. She agreed and thanked me for my honesty and dismissed the ticket and suggested that I bring a copy of her decision to my insurance company so they didn't assess the surcharges anyways.

[cheers]

That's handcuffs, trip to the local lockup, tow/impound the vehicle, court appearance, and that's just the beginning.

It's absolutely "okay" with me for the cop to write me a "no seatbelt" ticket and tell me to slow down.

Or do you understand what I've written, but just don't agree with my perspective?

He's just telling you the cops behavior is still at least somewhat corrupt. If the cop really wanted to cut you a break he would have just written a warning and let you go. Of course maybe CT has some retardo quota system for seatbelt violations or some shit, so guy may have bagged you with that instead to fill up that cup.

-Mike

He's just telling you the cops behavior is still at least somewhat corrupt. If the cop really wanted to cut you a break he would have just written a warning and let you go. Of course maybe CT has some retardo quota system for seatbelt violations or some shit, so guy may have bagged you with that instead to fill up that cup.

-Mike

This.

I believe the contention is not that you weren't doing 75 in a 55 but that the idea of a fixed limit is wrong.
If you are driving safely for the conditions, you are safe even if exceeding an arbitrary limit.

If a town makes it illegal to breath without an air use permit, even if it is free, are you guilty for breathing? a ridiculous example but BS laws are BS no matter how minor.

-Mike
One of the cops I know said he does the seat belt ticket thing for some sort of grant they got instead of writing speeding tickets. Sure it sucks, but you know the rules, you agreed to the rules when you got your license, and you got caught breaking the rules.

Don't like the rules, change them

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

One of the cops I know said he does the seat belt ticket thing for some sort of grant they got instead of writing speeding tickets. Sure it sucks, but you know the rules, you agreed to the rules when you got your license, and you got caught breaking the rules.

LOL so we should be happy when a cop lies to write someone up on a bogus seatbelt ticket instead of speeding? Yeah they are doing you a "favor" if its something that isn't surchargeable, but it's still pretty corrupt. Honestly I'd rather just hand the cop $100. We might as well go full on Zimbabwe/Mexico/etc if we're gonna play that game. Course problem is that's usually a dirt road... and you get more bogus stops out of it.

Everyone says this, as if it's some sort of panacea, or as if it's even possible. Yeah, I can see it now, it'll work out swimmingly. We'd have to kill a few million "guh buh wuh!" large type shitbird citizens, who think such things protect them, before that happens. Not to mention fight off the insurance industry who profits greatly from gigantic surcharges based off malum prohibitum crap, it's free money for them essentially. They're not going to let anyone kill that gravy train.

-Mike

Last edited:

Which rule says if you speed cops get to write you a ticket for a seatbelt violation?

Which rule says if you speed cops get to write you a ticket for a seatbelt violation?

The one that says you can get written up for not wearing a seatbelt.

If you mean in lieu of a speeding ticket, (assuming the operator wasnt belted) , its called discretionary. Can I verbally warn you not to do 75 in a 25 and write you the seatbelt cite? Of course

You say this like its a good thing and the cop is doing you a favor and not like the extortion it is. Is fining someone for something they know they didn't do a good thing?

No. It certainly isn't. It's actually quite immoral.

NES's own anti cop Al Sharpton id baaaaack.

al-sharpton-millions-march-nyc-2014-chants-what-do-we-want-dead-cops-now-race-baiter.jpg

It is my understanding they are saying cops are writing people who were wearing their seatbelt for a seatbelt violation instead of writing them on the speeding. I know of know rule or law that says or allows this. They are also saying it like the cop is doing them a favor. No such favor exists in that scenario.

I'm sure it probably isn't legit, if that's the case - but if someone wants to put their own ass, their own professional credibility and certification, on the line to write something so it's warnable, or so it doesn't incur insurance blackmail charges instead of writing me for the violation like I deserve - I won't complain.

If it's not surchargeable he's doing you a sort of half assed favor- it's also a favor for him- there's probably something in it for him, as well. Otherwise they would have just written a warning, unless the guy is some type of weirdo that likes hurr durring and gets off on inflicting punishment.

Like I said earlier if the guy was -really- trying to cut you a break you'd get a warning and that'd be the end of it. I know this because I've had good LEOs cut me a huge break here and there.

As far as CHP goes.... you got lucky.... states been on the warpath out there since they've been suffering for revenue. Past 5 years or so I've seen more speed traps there than I have in my entire life. Long time ago I'd be lucky to see one cop on the highway the whole trip, now seems like they're everywhere.

-Mike

Last edited:
NES's own anti cop Al Sharpton id baaaaack.

You are right. People should be happy to receive tickets for offenses they didn't commit. [rolleyes]

I'm sure it probably isn't legit, if that's the case - but if someone wants to put their own ass, their own professional credibility and certification, on the line to write something so it's warnable, or so it doesn't incur insurance blackmail charges instead of writing me for the violation like I deserve - I won't complain. Believe it or not - despite the well publicized asshats in the L/E profession - most of them are decent people that don't want to see someone get excessively screwed over for MP type BS.

Short anecdote that sheds light on my view of the state of L/E - early this year, I got pulled over for the first time in probably a decade. California Highway Patrol, of all agencies, and had me dead to rights. Was one of those 'shit, is that a cop? Nope, not a cop, just a tourist in an SUV pulled over taking pictures. SHIT, that IS a cop - shit shit shit I'm pushing 75 in a 55 and it's CHP!'. Guy throws on the lights, I pass him, he pulls out behind me, pull over trying to guess how expensive this is going to be. CHP, 20 over, not even entertaining the thought of getting warned. After he stopped behind me, I looked in the rear view and saw an older officer getting out. Gray hair, holy shit, I might get out of this with a warning! (There's the point I'm trying to make here.) Not only did he warn me, he was very cool about it, and didn't even run the info right off (no idea if he did afterwards) - wrote the D/L and reg info down in a pocket notebook in case he ran into me again. In 2015. As in, modern times, dude is still keeping tabs on 'warned him once already' stuff in an actual notebook instead of the computer. More to the story, of course but not really relevant to my point - not all officers are the raging hard-on, write 'em all and let the hearing officer sort it out, type. And there seems to be a definite correlation to age and experience.

I'm understand and am with you on that. Receiving a warning for something you did do is not nearly the same thing as receiving a ticket for something you didn't do. One could indeed be construed as getting a break, or the cop doing you a favor. The other, not so much. My issue with speeding tickets themselves aside, how can one possibly argue it is okay to give people tickets for something they didn't do because it isn't as bad as what it would be if they got a ticket for what they did do? If the cop doesn't think what you did warrants the fine it would be if they issued a ticket for it, they shouldn't give you a ticket. Give them a warning. It is that simple. And that does happen. Quite often I imagine. Also anecdotal, but from my experience it's 75%. I totally get that.

You are right. People should be happy to receive tickets for offenses they didn't commit. [rolleyes]

I'm understand and am with you on that. Receiving a warning for something you did do is not nearly the same thing as receiving a ticket for something you didn't do. One could indeed be construed as getting a break, or the cop doing you a favor. The other, not so much. My issue with speeding tickets themselves aside, how can one possibly argue it is okay to give people tickets for something they didn't do because it isn't as bad as what it would be if they got a ticket for what they did do? If the cop doesn't think what you did warrants the fine it would be if they issued a ticket for it, they shouldn't give you a ticket. Give them a warning. It is that simple. And that does happen. Quite often I imagine. Also anecdotal, but from my experience it's 75%. I totally get that.

Crux of my point was - the net effect is you make it out on the deal. Someone else wants to hang their ass on the line so you make out better off - have at it. It's no skin off your back.

It is my understanding they are saying cops are writing people who were wearing their seatbelt for a seatbelt violation instead of writing them on the speeding. I know of know rule or law that says or allows this. They are also saying it like the cop is doing them a favor. No such favor exists in that scenario.

My take was that they were offered the option of speeding vs seatbelt (because they werent wearing it), hence the deal. If it was being done the way you suggest, then Id agree. We need some clarification apparently.

but if someone wants to put their own ass, their own professional credibility and certification, on the line to write something so it's warnable
Cops are trained as to what situations allow for discretion. Letting a minor traffic violator go with a warning is not putting "professional credibility and certification on the line" in most jurisdictions.

On the other hand, letting a gun violator off with a warning in NJ is. I know a cop who told me about an arrest he did not want to make but "there was a radio call record of the complaint, and I have my pension to think about...if there was no radio call, I would have advised him about the law and told him to put the gun in his trunk and leave".

So, I got a message asking me to expand on this, unfortunately, I don't know much about the grant they were operating under, this was several years ago, and I no longer have contact with the officer.

I do know it was a targeted safety thing and he was trying to be nice by saving people the surcharge, the insurance rate increase, and the larger ticket.

The commentary about the rules was from me, not the officer.

So, I got a message asking me to expand on this, unfortunately, I don't know much about the grant they were operating under, this was several years ago, and I no longer have contact with the officer.

I do know it was a targeted safety thing and he was trying to be nice by saving people the surcharge, the insurance rate increase, and the larger ticket.

The commentary about the rules was from me, not the officer.

The federal grant for seatbelt violations is legit, we had a bunch of guys doing directed patrols targeting violators etc etc.
Im more curious as to the description of the either or scenario of the speeding ticket vs the seat belt ticket

So, the driver was carrying too or just you? How was it brought to light that you were carrying? Were you coming from the range? Was someone wearing gunpowder aftershave???

I would absolutely wear a cologne if it were Varget. Love that smell.

The federal grant for seatbelt violations is legit, we had a bunch of guys doing directed patrols targeting violators etc etc.
Im more curious as to the description of the either or scenario of the speeding ticket vs the seat belt ticket

The targeted area was next to an MDC (or whatever it is called now) park/pool/ballfield area in a metro city, so it was a speeding issue. The neighborhood itself wasn't big money, and I think he really thought he was helping people by not whacking them for the maximum fine, plus people do appreciate the lesser fine and it may remind them in the future to slow down.

Or he could have been pulling my leg.

The targeted area was next to an MDC (or whatever it is called now) park/pool/ballfield area in a metro city, so it was a speeding issue. The neighborhood itself wasn't big money, and I think he really thought he was helping people by not whacking them for the maximum fine, plus people do appreciate the lesser fine and it may remind them in the future to slow down.

Or he could have been pulling my leg.

I think you may be missing the actual point lol.
Are the seat belt violations being offered up in lieu of the speeding fines even tho the occupants are belted?
Or
Are the seat belt violations being offered up in replacement to the speeding ticket because the occupants are not belted

This would be the issue. Bones thinks you meant it one way, and I the other. This of course has caused massive controversey, and will undoubtedly keep many of us awake tonight until you clarify this.

Back
Top Bottom