• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic stop while carrying

Keep in mind that some states, other than MA, require you inform any officer on an official interaction (for example, traffic stop) that you are carrying. This does not always go well - google "Canton ohio harless" to see how it can go bad. And note, that even though the court found the charges bogus, he was fined $150 for "stopping in the road" since the system does not like to go away from a case unfed.

I was in a car with two other folks and the first thing the cop asked when stopped was "I smell gun powder, where are the guns" (I was carrying). 15 minutes and two backups later the driver was told "You are exercising you right as an American to be armed and that is a good thing, here is your warning for the violation". And this was is in a heavy moonbat town.

Last edited:
Did anyone see your gun???

nope. don' t say a thing. just tell cops to **** off.
image.jpg

Keep in mind that some states, other than MA, require you inform any officer on an official interaction (for example, traffic stop) that you are carrying. This does not always go well - google "Canton ohio harless" to see how it can go bad. And note, that even though the court found the charges bogus, he was fined $150 for "stopping in the road" since the system does not like to go away form a case unfed.

I was in a car with two other folks and the first thing the cop asked when stopped was "I smell gun powder, where are the guns" (I was carrying). 15 minutes and two backups later the driver was told "You are exercising you right as an American to be armed and that is a good thing, here is your warning for the violation". And this was is in a heavy moonbat town.

So, the driver was carrying too or just you? How was it brought to light that you were carrying? Were you coming from the range? Was someone wearing gunpowder aftershave???

With that sense of smell, the cop is wasting his talents.

Keep in mind that some states, other than MA, require you inform any officer on an official interaction (for example, traffic stop) that you are carrying. This does not always go well - google "Canton ohio harless" to see how it can go bad. And note, that even though the court found the charges bogus, he was fined $150 for "stopping in the road" since the system does not like to go away form a case unfed.

In Massachusetts are you legally required to tell the officer that you are carrying if you are pulled over for a traffic stop? I'm not asking if you should or shouldn't. I'm asking if there is a law stating that you have to. (I'm sure this has been asked in the past. Sorry for the repost if it has. I'm too lazy to search)

Don't say anything unless you are asked to get out of the car. If he wants you out, he's going to frisk you. Better to tell him before he finds it.

If he asks if you have one, either say you aren't going to answer or say yes. NEVER lie to the police.

Don

If the police officer ASKS you if you are carrying, that's when you are obliged to tell them.

No.

You never have to say anything to a LEO. At least (amazingly) not in MA. Although Rob will probably chime in and tell me of a case where someone exercised their 5A rights and was deemed "unsuitable" because of it.

But never ever lie to a cop.

Last edited:
Although Rob will probably chime in and tell me of a case where someone exercised their 5A rights and was deemed "unsuitable" because of it.
Godfrey v. Wellesley. The appellate court held that while the plaintiff "may" have had a right to remain silent, and "may" be entitled to recourse, that recourse is not restoration of his firearms license.

This was pre-Heller. If this were to happen today, I would probably not have a problem getting the Comm2A executive committee (that approves case expenditures) to fund a case, as requiring someone to choose between two constitutional rights would make a strong federal case.

So, the driver was carrying too or just you? How was it brought to light that you were carrying? Were you coming from the range? Was someone wearing gunpowder aftershave???
We were on the way back from a match. I was the only one carrying. The officer decided since there were three people in the car he needed to see two LTCs. No disarming, get out of the car, just "don't move around too much".

Godfrey v. Wellesley. The appellate court held that while the plaintiff "may" have had a right to remain silent, and "may" be entitled to recourse, that recourse is not restoration of his firearms license.

This was pre-Heller. If this were to happen today, I would probably not have a problem getting the Comm2A executive committee (that approves case expenditures) to fund a case, as requiring someone to choose between two constitutional rights would make a strong federal case.

We were on the way back from a match. I was the only one carrying. The officer decided since there were three people in the car he needed to see two LTCs. No disarming, get out of the car, just "don't move around too much".

Three people in the car, pulled over for a civil infraction, smell of gunpowder emanating from the car, back up called, and the officer decided he needed to see two LTCs, because you (a passenger) were carrying, coming from a match.
Sure, sounds legit.

However, it is always a good idea to let them know that you are carrying, are trained and have trust in their abilities. I usually shout "I have a gun and know how to use it, and I'm not afraid of you!". Works great.

Apologies to whoever I stole that from.
So much for saying you weren't looking for opinions on whether it was a good idea or not.

In Massachusetts are you legally required to tell the officer that you are carrying if you are pulled over for a traffic stop? I'm not asking if you should or shouldn't. I'm asking if there is a law stating that you have to. (I'm sure this has been asked in the past. Sorry for the repost if it has. I'm too lazy to search)
This post requires a one word answer which the first response gave...... how in the world has this continued on...

Three people in the car, pulled over for a civil infraction, smell of gunpowder emanating from the car, back up called, and the officer decided he needed to see two LTCs, because you (a passenger) were carrying, coming from a match.
Sure, sounds legit.

The dispatcher just heard "gun" and decided to send everything. Turns out the dispatcher (who is now a detective) was someone I already knew from the gun club. We were told the car resembled one they were looking for (but the officer did not explain why). Everything was calm; the officer was polite and professional; and let the driver off on a what would have been a legit moving violation.

Not to the police, but you do have to disclose to the salesperson that you're carrying when buying a pair of designer jeans.

It's more important to disclose to your tailor so that he/she can fit your suit properly. A quiet "I dress left and carry an IWB at 5:00 is usually sufficient" to a good tailor.

Ladies really go for a dab of Break Free behind the ears. DAMHIK.

That's bad advice; it makes their neck slippery and their heels slide.

- - - Updated - - -

This post requires a one word answer which the first response gave...... how in the world has this continued on...

You're new here aren't you?
And when I compare our join dates, they're identical - so I guess we just have different expectations.

As others have said, there is no requirement in MA to disclose to an officer that you are carrying.

Or anything else other than license and registration. Keep your words to a minimum. They have no other business than why they pulled you over.

Or anything else other than license and registration. Keep your words to a minimum. They have no other business than why they pulled you over.

Agreed. When they talk to you they are trying to see if you have done anything else wrong. If you don't say anything, you can't say anything stupid.

A friend recently had to deal wit the police in CT over a domestic call. The cops came, separated the two of them and started asking questions. My friend said the cop was very cordial and empathetic. He said that he might have done the same thing in a similar situation. So my friend kept on talking, right into an arrest.

When I asked him about it I was astonished at his ignorance. So I sent him a link to an old police I & I (interview and interrogation) manual.

https://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-interrogation.pdf

A few days later he called me. OH MY GOD. He was just working me, my friend said.

Of course he was.

Don

p.s. I STRONGLY advise that anyone who has not read one, read the pdf at this link. In it you will see WHY the cop is so empathetic. You will see WHY the cop minimizes what he thinks you might have done. In it, you will also see why it is not an even fight to go toe to toe while you are stressed out, with someone who has received probably hundreds of hours of training in this kind of thing.

Agreed. When they talk to you they are trying to see if you have done anything else wrong. If you don't say anything, you can't say anything stupid.

A friend recently had to deal wit the police in CT over a domestic call. The cops came, separated the two of them and started asking questions. My friend said the cop was very cordial and empathetic. He said that he might have done the same thing in a similar situation. So my friend kept on talking, right into an arrest.

When I asked him about it I was astonished at his ignorance. So I sent him a link to an old police I & I (interview and interrogation) manual.

A few days later he called me. OH MY GOD. He was just working me, my friend said.

Of course he was.

Don

p.s. I STRONGLY advise that anyone who has not read one, read the pdf at this link. In it you will see WHY the cop is so empathetic. You will see WHY the cop minimizes what he thinks you might have done. In it, you will also see why it is not an even fight to go toe to toe while you are stressed out, with someone who has received probably hundreds of hours of training in this kind of thing.

No kidding! I took the "Reid Technique: Interview & Interrogation" one-day class back at the old police academy and can tell you that it is extremely effective. The instructor had a veteran officer as a volunteer and I swear that he would have admitted murdering his mother even if his mother was standing next to him at the time! Very impressive indeed.

Got pulled over exiting a liquor store last year, told my license plate light was out. Cop saw the handle of my k-bar sticking up between the center console and passenger seat. Asked if I was Army or Marines, I told him neither. Asked me if I had any other weapons, told him "Just the loaded 45 on my right hip, license is in my wallet." gave him the LTC, d/l, registration, he checked everything, told me to buy a bulb:)

I STRONGLY advise that anyone who has not read one, read the pdf at this link. In it you will see WHY the cop is so empathetic. You will see WHY the cop minimizes what he thinks you might have done. In it, you will also see why it is not an even fight to go toe to toe while you are stressed out, with someone who has received probably hundreds of hours of training in this kind of thing.
+1

These techniques, like timeshare high pressure sales, are used for one reason...they work.

The "emphathize" and "I would have done the same thing" have been used for ages. A retired cop lent me his interrogation textbook and it was all the same stuff, except for some pre-Mirandiasms (like "tell the suspect only guilty people need an attorney")

Of course he was.

Don

Thanks for the link. I need to print that out for the wife and mother to read. Stat.

No kidding! I took the "Reid Technique: Interview & Interrogation" one-day class back at the old police academy and can tell you that it is extremely effective. The instructor had a veteran officer as a volunteer and I swear that he would have admitted murdering his mother even if his mother was standing next to him at the time! Very impressive indeed.

they're infuriatingly effective. the only defense against them is "I wish to remain silent, and I do not wish to answer any of your questions without an attorney present"

Say it, learn it, live it.

And what law might that be lol? We arent hindering an investigation here, this is a traffic stop. No different from answering "one" when asked how many beers youve had.

The false information statute is in regards to your license info

I recall a few dozen times in my youth being asked if I had any weapons "he needed to know about" or variations on the theme. These days, I don't seem to get asked if I'm carrying. I suppose because I look like some kind of mousy, moonbat accountant.

Point of curiosity, though. I take it you're saying that even if asked a direct question "Are you carrying a gun?" you don't need to answer, at least until it becomes pertinent to the stop.

I can imagine the officer becoming irritated if you simply don't answer or even PO'd if you answer with "am I free to leave", etc.

Is there a safe, unaggressive way to assert to the officer that it isn't in scope for this encounter? What would work if YOU were the officer doing the stop?

I get that I can just say "stuff it", but that makes the ticket a "lock" and as Mr. Boudrie points out, opens the door to potential years long lawsuits.

I swear having my ltc gotten me out of tickets in my town Tewksbury. Every time I get pulled over first thing they ask if I'm carrying .

Then I get verbal warnings for shit I could get my car towed for.

I swear having my ltc gotten me out of tickets in my town Tewksbury. Every time I get pulled over first thing they ask if I'm carrying . Then I get verbal warnings for shit I could get my car towed for.

I've been stopped three times in MA for speeding. Each time for 15mph over. All three times I've gotten a written warning. MA police give out lots of warnings.

Back
Top Bottom