MA Law: carrying a gun where animals may be present

I recently heard a story at the range about a guy getting a hunting violation for carrying a handgun on his own property.
Of course, we know how these stories go. But I do seem to recall something in the law about carrying where animals may be present. I’m not able to find that. Is anyone familiar? Accurate citation? Thank you for any information.

It may have been very near a Wildlife Management Area, WMA. There are lots of restrictions on WMA especially during hunting season. Check the 2024 abstracts.

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

”Section 67: Rifles, revolvers and pistols; caliber

Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year.”

That deals with "night time". On top of that What "thirty-eight caliber ammunition" is this specifying?
Again, one of that state's "just in case laws".

When I was on the job in that shit hole, I brought this up to the agency, as cartridge was not specific. The way that law is written a person could have (ex) a TC contender chambered for a 35 Remington and be within the law.
.357 Magnum is less then .38 caliber, as is a .38 Special.

I recently heard a story at the range about a guy getting a hunting violation for carrying a handgun on his own property.
Of course, we know how these stories go. But I do seem to recall something in the law about carrying where animals may be present. I’m not able to find that. Is anyone familiar? Accurate citation? Thank you for any information.
Great First Post!

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year.”
I have broken that "law" more times than I can remember on my own land.

That BS needs to go.

That deals with "night time". On top of that What "thirty-eight caliber ammunition" is this specifying?

When I was on the job in that shit hole, I brought this up to the agency, as cartridge was not specific. The way that law is written a person could have (ex) a TC contender chambered for a 35 Remington and be within the law.

It’s stupid, vague and doesn’t consider people hiking or even walking through a park while carrying, but it’s the law and I’m guessing what the OP was thinking about when he was asking for the law when “animals may be present”.

It’s stupid, vague and doesn’t consider people hiking or even walking through a park while carrying, but it’s the law and I’m guessing what the OP was thinking about when he was asking for the law when “animals may be present”.
As fisher said, its a "just in case" law. A catch all if you will when you need to charge someone with something.

You think that
You think that one is bad....you should hear what my cousin's oldest nephew's girlfriend's uncle told an acquaintance of mine, Bob Sacamano, about "spanish fly" and a stick shift!!!

As fisher said, its a "just in case" law. A catch all if you will when you need to charge someone with something.

It’s still codified law to be aware of and relevant to the OP’s question.

Not just when they “need” to charge someone, but often when they want to. Do I need to link the Police Protecting and Serving thread to remind people how LE can and do charge people with whatever they can if they don’t like the way you look or what you say?

Here is another "Just in Case Law". Read MGL 131 Section 66, and please tell me what the reason is for that law? Oh, No where in the law is a "Recognized Range" defined.

I honestly don't know. And now I DON'T CARE!!!! I now live in New Hampshire!!!
fiiiiiiiine, but i still reserve the right to call on your past experience for help

Not just when they “need” to charge someone, but often when they want to. Do I need to link the Police Protecting and Serving thread to remind people how LE can and do charge people with whatever they can if they don’t like the way you look or what you say?
want/need are in the eye of the beholder when it comes to policing [rofl]

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

That is literally everywhere.

A 9mm is less than that too. Just goes to show how stupid MA gun laws are.

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

Interesting. Taken literally, this would apply inside my home, which is ruled by a four legged mammal.

When is sunset tonite?

Exactly. My primary concern here is hiking trails. If you think about it, it’s almost on par with a walk through Mattapan or the Dot. You’re literally miles in the middle of nowhere yet you’re on a path where traffic is expected. Then of course you have the four-legged predators on top of that.
With many years and thousands of outings under my belt, I’ve had the occasional friendly chat with state, federal, and municipal LE in these areas. Of course they ask plenty of questions. Where are you headed? Where are you going to? But I have never been asked any weapons on you, sir?
With a valid LTC and “nothing to hide” why not answer??? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Back
Top Bottom