• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tennessee mother accidentally shot, killed teen daughter while rummaging in purse for keys

It's Tennessee
They can have a Bazooka in her purse
At least she did not have one of those
As sad as this is, Darwin Awards are given out daily

This is so F'ing sad.
Do majority of people who carry, have their gun cocked? I don't.

Most of the guns out there these days are designed to be carried cocked, or cocked-equivalent. I'd never carry any other way, but then I use a holster and not a purse.

Off-body carry has a lot of problems, and this is one of them. Sad.

This is so F'ing sad.
Do majority of people who carry, have their gun cocked? I don't.
That depends entirely upon the pistol and your assumption that cocked pistols are somehow more dangerous suggests that you are not very familiar with various types of pistols. There are some ways in which a cocked and locked 1911 might be considered safer than a striker-fired pistol.

Not sure if serious. Anyone who is serious about having a defensive firearm is carrying in a manner which the gun will be able to be fired quickly.
Agreed. I suppose she unfortunately succeeded in that regard. Depending on the circumstance it’s either a feature or a flaw. In this instance, I think it was a flaw. Careless.

Agreed. I suppose she unfortunately succeeded in that regard. Depending on the circumstance it’s either a feature or a flaw. In this instance, I think it was a flaw. Careless.
I think I should be more succinct in my post because what I really wanted to portray is that like NDs like this have happened with purses and revolvers with 10 lb Triggers on them.... it doesn't really take much for something to get jammed inside a trigger guard and then all of a sudden trying to pull the gun out of the purse or whatever the hell it's in creates a mechanical advantage situation which in turn causes the trigger to get pulled..... like think about the average amount of garbage in the dumbest woman's purse... and then all of a sudden it becomes abundantly clear that just throwing a loaded gun in there is a horrible idea...... it's possible to carry a gun in a ready-to-use condition and do it safely without much fuss at all but just throwing it into a purse or a pocket or whatever without any kind of trigger guard protection is just a recipe for disaster. Even if the odds of an ND are very low it also ends up compromising your ability to retrieve and use the pistol in an emergency.

I think I should be more succinct in my post because what I really wanted to portray is that like NDs like this have happened with purses and revolvers with 10 lb Triggers on them.... it doesn't really take much for something to get jammed inside a trigger guard and then all of a sudden trying to pull the gun out of the purse or whatever the hell it's in creates a mechanical advantage situation which in turn causes the trigger to get pulled..... like think about the average amount of garbage in the dumbest woman's purse... and then all of a sudden it becomes abundantly clear that just throwing a loaded gun in there is a horrible idea...... it's possible to carry a gun in a ready-to-use condition and do it safely without much fuss at all but just throwing it into a purse or a pocket or whatever without any kind of trigger guard protection is just a recipe for disaster. Even if the odds of an ND are very low it also ends up compromising your ability to retrieve and use the pistol in an emergency.
Well put. I think I knew exactly what you meant and was trying to be a little tactful in calling this lady a f***ing idiot. Which she is. Simply because you live in a gun friendly state doesn’t mean you don’t need to train and practice, or at least exercise common sense. But, here we are and a girl is dead for nothing other than negligence.

Back
Top Bottom