• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic stop while carrying

In Massachusetts are you legally required to tell the officer that you are carrying if you are pulled over for a traffic stop? I'm not asking if you should or shouldn't. I'm asking if there is a law stating that you have to. (I'm sure this has been asked in the past. Sorry for the repost if it has. I'm too lazy to search)

However, it is always a good idea to let them know that you are carrying, are trained and have trust in their abilities. I usually shout "I have a gun and know how to use it, and I'm not afraid of you!". Works great.

Apologies to whoever I stole that from.

No, but I have heard your license status pops up as extra info when your plates are run initially. This requires he officer to check a extra action bubble which they may or may not do.

I personally was gonna go with "I have a gun. I'll let you guess where it is"

However, it is always a good idea to let them know that you are carrying, are trained and have trust in their abilities. I usually shout "I have a gun and know how to use it, and I'm not afraid of you!". Works great.

I suggest never telling unless asked, asked to step out of the car or if the officer may see it when you retrieve you license and registration. Some cops are scared of peasants with guns so don't advise unless needed.

Last edited:
No, but I have heard your license status pops up as extra info when your plates are run initially. This requires he officer to check a extra action bubble which they may or may not do.

But the licensed people are generally not the ones they have to worry about, it's the ones carrying illegally, and that info won't come up on their screen.

There is no law requiring you to inform an officer that you're carrying.

But if they ask you to step out of your vehicle, I would suggest you very calmly, while keeping your hands where he can see them, let him know that you are carrying and have the license to do so. Unless you are a huge fan of the taste of asphalt.

But if they ask you to step out of your vehicle, I would suggest you very calmly, while keeping your hands where he can see them, let him know that you are carrying and have the license to do so. Unless you are a huge fan of the taste of asphalt.
I have been wondering the same thing as I have started to carry a lot more often.. I would wonder if they would ask you if you have a firearm.. I have been checked while hunting by a Warden and he didn't need to see anything as he had looked it all up by my plate number on my truck before he saw us...

In Massachusetts are you legally required to tell the officer that you are carrying if you are pulled over for a traffic stop? I'm not asking if you should or shouldn't. I'm asking if there is a law stating that you have to. (I'm sure this has been asked in the past. Sorry for the repost if it has. I'm too lazy to search)

no

I have been wondering the same thing as I have started to carry a lot more often.. I would wonder if they would ask you if you have a firearm.. I have been checked while hunting by a Warden and he didn't need to see anything as he had looked it all up by my plate number on my truck before he saw us...

If the police officer ASKS you if you are carrying, that's when you are obliged to tell them.

I thought providing false information to a police officer was illegal?

Oh, and OP, you should not draw your firearm and throw it at the officer.

And what law might that be lol? We arent hindering an investigation here, this is a traffic stop. No different from answering "one" when asked how many beers youve had.

The false information statute is in regards to your license info

Last edited:
Don't volunteer information when dealing with the police on any matter involving yourself. Answer all questions truthfully but don't incriminate yourself either. However honesty will frequently get you off with a warning with regard to speeding and other traffic violations. keep your hands where they can be seen at all times .

If you are asked to leave your vehicle I suggest you say the following (based on my trainibg, anyway) : I have a Massachusetts License to Carry and I am carrying it. How do you want us to proceed? Note I never mention gun, pistol or firearm, keeps it low key. I use the word us which suggests compliance and cooperation that I am working with and not against the officer.

Some LEOs will be dicks but most will be not. If you are carrying and have only committed a civil traffic offense and you are legally packing, don't act nervous.

I like to yell, "Who else here is armed and dangerous??"

I got stopped once usually have my ltc behind my drivers license. Pulled out my license left my wallet face up was one of those little money clip card holders wallets. Cop saw it asked if I was carrying I said no because I wasn't he said okay sit tight I'll brb. Said have a nice day. Not a big thing.

And what law might that be lol? We arent hindering an investigation here, this is a traffic stop. No different from answering "one" when asked how many beers youve had.

The false information statute is in regards to your license info
I was under the impression that obstruction of justice charges would apply in this situation and the fifth amendment would not apply unless you were carrying illegally. The first assumption I guess was wrong.

I was under the impression that obstruction of justice charges would apply in this situation and the fifth amendment would not apply unless you were carrying illegally. The first assumption I guess was wrong.

Absolutely would not apply. Theres no investigation to obstruct, and its not illegal to lie to the cops lol.

Back
Top Bottom