MA Law: carrying a gun where animals may be present

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

”Section 67: Rifles, revolvers and pistols; caliber

Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year.”

So, I can't carry my .45ACP Sig 220 or HK 45C in my yard or walking the dog at night, but I can carry my .357 TRR8 and Glock 9mm's. Good to know.

The 1911 crowd must be pissed... [rofl]

In case it hasn't been said enough recently: f*** MASS

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year.”
trash it

Oh, further proof of the ridiculousness and outsized power of “hunting” laws:

The 2A doesn’t apply in MA during deer shotgun season if you’re in a “wood” or “field”. Sorry, can’t carry your pistol or even go on a walk with your dog.

“Section 70: Hunting with rifle, revolver or pistol, or by the aid of a dog; primitive firearms

Section 70. A person shall not, during the open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, hunt a bird or mammal with a rifle, revolver or pistol or by the aid of a dog, or have in his possession or under his control in any wood or field, a rifle, revolver or pistol, or a dog. Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit the use of dogs to hunt waterfowl in coastal waters and salt marshes during the open season on migratory waterfowl.

Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, the director may authorize the use of primitive firearms or shotguns with a rifled bore for hunting during any period when deer may be hunted by means of a firearm under rules and regulations promulgated in accordance with section five.”

God forbid you want to carry a couple slugs for self or predator defense when hunting something with birdshot.

These fudd-based hunting laws are ridiculous

Section 66: Shotgun shells, load

Section 66. A person shall not, except during the prescribed open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, BB shot or air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals might be found, except on a skeet, trap or target range between sunrise and sunset; provided, however, that the director shall promulgate rules and regulations prescribing the type and size of such BB shot.

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

I wonder what happens in the city? Plenty of pigeons (birds) and mammals (people) there.

MGL Ch 131 Section 67

Fine
I will post a sign.

No
birds or mammals

Permitted on this property.

That deals with "night time". On top of that What "thirty-eight caliber ammunition" is this specifying?
Again, one of that state's "just in case laws".

When I was on the job in that shit hole, I brought this up to the agency, as cartridge was not specific. The way that law is written a person could have (ex) a TC contender chambered for a 35 Remington and be within the law.
.357 Magnum is less then .38 caliber, as is a .38 Special.
9mm fits into the less category too.

That deals with "night time". On top of that What "thirty-eight caliber ammunition" is this specifying?
Again, one of that state's "just in case laws".

When I was on the job in that shit hole, I brought this up to the agency, as cartridge was not specific. The way that law is written a person could have (ex) a TC contender chambered for a 35 Remington and be within the law.
.357 Magnum is less then .38 caliber, as is a .38 Special.
What about 30 super carry??

You think that

You think that one is bad....you should hear what my cousin's oldest nephew's girlfriend's uncle told an acquaintance of mine, Bob Sacamano, about "spanish fly" and a stick shift!!!

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Exactly. My primary concern here is hiking trails. If you think about it, it’s almost on par with a walk through Mattapan or the Dot. You’re literally miles in the middle of nowhere yet you’re on a path where traffic is expected. Then of course you have the four-legged predators on top of that.
With many years and thousands of outings under my belt, I’ve had the occasional friendly chat with state, federal, and municipal LE in these areas. Of course they ask plenty of questions. Where are you headed? Where are you going to? But I have never been asked any weapons on you, sir?
With a valid LTC and “nothing to hide” why not answer??? 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Because of the hundreds of other laws they could bind you up on

MA Law: carrying a gun where animals may be present​

There's animals everywhere. Does it distinguish between 2 legged and four legged? 🤔

Back
Top Bottom