• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Something New from Smith & Wesson

so everyone is getting excited over a single stack that is bigger than everything in its class?
i will stick with my pm9, and its smooth trigger!

You'd be better off with a Glock 26.

10 rounds of 9mm, 17 rounds in a spare mag.

I must say though, I kinda like this new Shield!

Maybe now Glock will come out with a single stack 9mm.

They have been way behind the curve on that.

I've been continually baffled that M&P has not come out with an envelope competitor to the G19? So, we have a keltec competitor in this one, but no true mid-size like the 19 that really is the perfect size gun for a lot of people to carry/shoot.

I've been continually baffled that M&P has not come out with an envelope competitor to the G19? So, we have a keltec competitor in this one, but no true mid-size like the 19 that really is the perfect size gun for a lot of people to carry/shoot.

Nobody really has a mid size that competes head on with a 19 (maybe Springfield SORTA does) and the other thing is if S&W produced a real mid, they'd have to basically junk the 9c/40c design as from that point onward none of the M&P fans would bother buying it, because it would be too close to the new gun in size. My guess is that S&W wants to milk the cow on that front, and I can't say that I blame them. The "I don't like Glock but want a polymer framed handgun" types, will still buy the M&P Compacts, even if there is a preference to have a slightly larger gun.

-Mike

I really wish Glock would make a single stack 9mm.

Now that they actually make some frames in the US, they actually could probably do this without having to worry about the BATFE points BS. The one engineering problem I see is they would be producing a weird gun with a slide that is narrower than any of their other handguns, so they'd probably have to do a lot of R&D to make it work right- and then still get it small enough that it would compete in that market segment the LC9,, PM9, etc are in. The other problem for Glock is they would have virtually no parts commonality between their SS 9mm and every other gun they make... whereas even oddballs like the G36, G28, etc, share at least a little bit of the "core" platform.

-Mike

From their face book at 12:00

It's Here. Introducing the new M&P Shield™ pistol in 9mm and .40 S&W. #SmithWesson #shieldyourself
524149_10150736570913960_97239338959_9445211_1805949584_n.jpg

Wow!, I am totally impressed. They have done a great job focused on building a gun, I am confident it will do the job intended. I love the fact that all the other manufacturers of accessories are already onboard with products to upgrade, lites, lasers, holsters... damn, it appears they learned from past mistakes trying to build an all inclusive gun.. short and extended mags, 3" barrel, I'm in...

It’s just slightly larger and heavier LC9. They are almost identical and probably will sell for the same price. Amazing that no one can better PM9.

Interesting. The safety is not ambidextrous and the mag release does not look to be reversible. Why wold S&W abandon these features? I thought they were good selling points for the M&P line.

Looks like a great alternative to the Ruger pistols and striker fired nice. Will be good for MA folks who want a slimmer single stack pistol and can't afford a Khar. I'll keep my G26 though :)

This will probably be popular with detectives and plain clothes LEO types in departments that adopted the M&P.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
It’s just slightly larger and heavier LC9. They are almost identical and probably will sell for the same price. Amazing that no one can better PM9.

But much more quality than the LC9... Hell Kahr's are known to be low quality. I love my PM9 and P9 both non-MA versions, but I am wel aware I had to sacrifice quality then to get that sub-compact single stack 9mm.. When the LC9 came out many people didn't bother who were still holding out for a quality single stack 9mm to come out. This may be it? Only time will tell, I am looking forward to grabbing one of these ASAP.

Interesting. The safety is not ambidextrous and the mag release does not look to be reversible. Why wold S&W abandon these features? I thought they were good selling points for the M&P line.

The Bodyguard is the same way. Not sure why. Its one of the things I like about the M&Ps.

But much more quality than the LC9... Hell Kahr's are known to be low quality. I love my PM9 and P9 both non-MA versions, but I am wel aware I had to sacrifice quality then to get that sub-compact single stack 9mm.. When the LC9 came out many people didn't bother who were still holding out for a quality single stack 9mm to come out. This may be it? Only time will tell, I am looking forward to grabbing one of these ASAP.

What is low quality about the PM9? Mine has been flawless after the 200 round break in.

Also this is .7 inches longer and .6 inches taller than the PM9. Good luck pocket carrying it. To me there is no sense making a gun that size. If it won't fit in a pocket, I will need to IWB or OWB carry. If I need to do that I might as well get a full(er) size pistol.

Last edited:
But much more quality than the LC9... Hell Kahr's are known to be low quality. I love my PM9 and P9 both non-MA versions, but I am wel aware I had to sacrifice quality then to get that sub-compact single stack 9mm.

while I am not that impressed with the quality of my PM9s plastic frame, the quality of my steel-framed Kahrs (K9, K40, MK9) is very high.

What is low quality about the PM9? Mine has been flawless after the 200 round break in.

Also this is .7 inches longer and .6 inches taller than the PM9. Good luck pocket carrying it. To me there is no sense making a gun that size. If it won't fit in a pocket, I will need to IWB or OWB carry. If I need to do that I might as well get a full(er) size pistol.

Take it apart and look at the machining. The frame, rails seating in the plastic etc. Again, I stated I LOVE my PM9 and mine too has been flawless with well over 2,000 rounds through it! It works great, but the manufacturing of guns are of lower quality than that of larger name brands.

while I am not that impressed with the quality of my PM9s plastic frame, the quality of my steel-framed Kahrs (K9, K40, MK9) is very high.

I agree with that totally, I got rid of a K series steel frame because I just didn't like the weight. My point of seeking out the small subcompact was the weight. They are quality and handle the recoil better obviously due to the steel/weight.

The MSRP is good, $449. I'd probably have to see it in person and compare it to my PPS to see if it would be worth swapping out. But then again, it might be better to go even smaller and get a pocket pistol instead.

Back
Top Bottom