• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Something New from Smith & Wesson

Don't get down in the dumps about it... it WILL be compliant, you will likely just have to repair the trigger just like every other M&P.

S&W would be 110% boneheaded not to market this gun in MA, as it faces very little competition in its class. It will sell like crazy.

-Mike
What's the point in having the AG in your pocket to keep Glock, Kahr, and Kimber out if you can't get all that sweet monopoly goodness?

So, what happens if they both go out separately? Which one gets to take the gun? Maybe they flip a coin.

Obviously a work of fiction, who would believe that two people in Boston have unrestricted LTCs?

That's not Boston, it's Springfield. You're point still stands, though. I used to work armed security in a section 8 housing project a block away from where that chick was running. Lots of folks carry, but not many have LTC's.

That's not Boston, it's Springfield. You're point still stands, though. I used to work armed security in a section 8 housing project a block away from where that chick was running. Lots of folks carry, but not many have LTC's.

Springfield, MA............Holy crap !! A loaded gun laying on top of a dresser. Wait until ? see's this..... Clearly her bedroom must be inside of a walk-in vault [laugh]

It's funny to read the posts about it not being small enough to carry in a pocket. I say that because, I have never been a big pocket carrying guy, it just doesn't feel right to have any of my guns banging off my thigh, nor does it feel right trying to take it out of my pockets. Now don't get me wrong I have and still carry in my pocket on occassions, but I think I do it more because I keep trying to carry it and MAKE IT COMFI. I also don't trust that something will go wrong while in my pocket, I once forgot and stuck my keys in my pocket and low and behold, don't you know the ring wrapped around the trigger when I removed my keys from my pocket. I mean I am careful to not put anything in there...... but... Now that brings me to my holsters, the last group buy I bought 3 more IWB holsters from Crossbreed and love them. I primarily carry everything there now because it feels right, it's easily accessable and I sometimes forget I have a gun hanging off my belt. I even bought one for my LC9 I rarely carry.

Bottom line is I believe we carry a lot less in our pockets than what some say, complaining about the size of the shield is more likely because someone is looking for the negative even if it doesn't really effect them. The size of the shield is small enough for me to carry IWB and to me it's a win win over any of my larger guns I now carry on a regular basis, including my 1911 3" pro, M&P9c, 40c, etc.. The attitude that if you have to carry IWB then you are carrying something big is really senseless when I can carry the same caliber with more comfort... in a more compact package.

Bottom line is I believe we carry a lot less in our pockets than what some say, complaining about the size of the shield is more likely because someone is looking for the negative even if it doesn't really effect them. The size of the shield is small enough for me to carry IWB and to me it's a win win over any of my larger guns I now carry on a regular basis, including my 1911 3" pro, M&P9c, 40c, etc.. The attitude that if you have to carry IWB then you are carrying something big is really senseless when I can carry the same caliber with more comfort... in a more compact package.

I used to carry a 4" aluminum 1911 IWB. Now I carry a 5" steel-framed 1911 IWB. If I'm going to wear a cover garment over a holstered gun, I can just as easily carry a bigger gun. YMMV.

I used to carry a 4" aluminum 1911 IWB. Now I carry a 5" steel-framed 1911 IWB. If I'm going to wear a cover garment over a holstered gun, I can just as easily carry a bigger gun. YMMV.

NS... my point is comfort and accessability, nothing comfy about carrying any 1911 all day! I do it myself, and it's ok, I like carrying my larger calibers, but I carry my M&P40c and it feels great, but I base that on the fact it's my favorite gun along with my 1911 3" Pro. But sorry, you can't compare a 1911 hanging off your side for comfort compared to a gun the size of the Shield.

I CCW'd a FS 1911 IWB for a few years and found it very comfortable. It depends a lot on the holster/belt you are wearing. I can also CCW the M&P 9c very comfortably IWB or OWB as well. Neither of these guns "hang" off my side due to the proper belt/holster I have chosen for them.

I only pocket carry when "I can't carry" . . . i.e. when wearing dress pants or suit and can't have anything obvious on my waist. For that, I have an all leather gun belt that looks dressy and does the job of holding the pants up properly. The PM9 or 642 with a Mika pocket holster will do that job very well.

What I see is that the Shield might be a more comfortable IWB option for women. Time will tell and I'll await reports from users to see what the quality, comfort and issues might be with this gun before deciding if/how it might be useful. We should have plenty of time waiting for S&W to get a MA compliant version out there in the marketplace.

YMMV

I CCW'd a FS 1911 IWB for a few years and found it very comfortable. It depends a lot on the holster/belt you are wearing. I can also CCW the M&P 9c very comfortably IWB or OWB as well. Neither of these guns "hang" off my side due to the proper belt/holster I have chosen for them.

I only pocket carry when "I can't carry" . . . i.e. when wearing dress pants or suit and can't have anything obvious on my waist. For that, I have an all leather gun belt that looks dressy and does the job of holding the pants up properly. The PM9 or 642 with a Mika pocket holster will do that job very well.

What I see is that the Shield might be a more comfortable IWB option for women. Time will tell and I'll await reports from users to see what the quality, comfort and issues might be with this gun before deciding if/how it might be useful. We should have plenty of time waiting for S&W to get a MA compliant version out there in the marketplace.

YMMV

LMAO...... this one's even funnier...

NS... my point is comfort and accessability, nothing comfy about carrying any 1911 all day! I do it myself, and it's ok, I like carrying my larger calibers, but I carry my M&P40c and it feels great, but I base that on the fact it's my favorite gun along with my 1911 3" Pro. But sorry, you can't compare a 1911 hanging off your side for comfort compared to a gun the size of the Shield.

A gun the size of the Shield (or a little bit smaller) is what I carry in my pocket. Carrying a pocket gun on your belt defeats the purpose, IMHO.

A gun the size of the Shield (or a little bit smaller) is what I carry in my pocket. Carrying a pocket gun on your belt defeats the purpose, IMHO.

Carrying in your pocket may be your purpose, but my purpose is

1. concealed carry

2.accessability

3. stopping power

4. comfort, carrying on my side is most comfortable, with a good belt and holster and I have both of those. I carry in my pocket occassionally and got a few guns for just such a time. I didn't think the Shield was designed for pocket carry, especially since all the holsters advertised so far are IWB and OWB.. why are people complaining about the size..

You have your needs and I have mine, that's ok, I don't need to change your mind.. [grin] Happy Friday the 13th!!

Carrying in your pocket may be your purpose, but my purpose is

1. concealed carry
2.accessability
3. stopping power
4. Comfort

1. In my pocket is concealed.
2. While drawing from a pocket is slower than from a belt holster if you consider the full process, pocket carry lets you cheat by having your hand on the gun unobtrusively when you go to condition orange. So I suspect that drawing from a belt holster is not much quicker than drawing from a pocket when you start with your hand in the pocket on the gun.
3. My Kahr PM9 has exactly the same stopping power. It is a 9mm with only 1 round less mag capacity.
4. I find pocket carry quite comfortable when using a good pocket holster.

Clearly YMMV. I hope the gun does well, but I don't think it fills a niche for me.

I just heard back from an email inquiry I made about the Mass compliant version.

S&W tell me the Mass compliant will be available in May.

Very nice! [laugh2]

Last edited:
Just saying the sportsman's den in Quincy, Ron had a p9 in the display case for sale and a pm9 used in great condition and price if anyone was looking for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Than they filmed parts of it in Boston.

Than they filmed parts of it in Boston.

Looking at it again, I recognize all the scenes where the lady is jogging as being parts of Springfield. I don't recognize anything from where the guy walks to go get a cup of coffee, though, so that could definitely be Boston.

the m&p shield is very close in size to the walther pps.i carry the pps in a n82 tactical holster iwb.

i went to the NRA convention in Saint Louis today and held the pps and the m&p shield just minutes apart and this is pretty much true...very similar size and proportions to both...if you like m&p style grips (rounder, imo) you'll probably like the shield better...if you like the more blocky walther style grip the pps will fit better...

i also gently fondled an xds a bit later and it felt a little thicker and a bit shorter in terms of grip height than the pps/m&p shield...if i remember correctly my pinky was dangling off the bottom of the xds (but the guns at the springfield booth didn't have mags)...

saw a few celebs at the show like Chris from Top Shot, the Gunny and Hickok45, not to mention Gov. Bobby Jindal.

Looking at it again, I recognize all the scenes where the lady is jogging as being parts of Springfield. I don't recognize anything from where the guy walks to go get a cup of coffee, though, so that could definitely be Boston.

The scenes with guy was definitely Boston. The broad I had no clue. She was hot and even hotter when I found out she was packin.

i also gently fondled an xds a bit later and it felt a little thicker and a bit shorter in terms of grip height than the pps/m&p shield...if i remember correctly my pinky was dangling off the bottom of the xds (but the guns at the springfield booth didn't have mags)...

i can't wait for the XDS, i definitely want to get one

"Smith & Wesson has officially unveiled their new sub-compact Smith & Wesson M&P Shield Pistol chambered in 9mm and .40 S&W. Like the other M&P pistols, the Shield is polymer framed and striker fired. The MSRP is $449."

The Firearm Blog

smith_wesson_mp_shield-tm-tfb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom