• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some questions about Boston Unrestricted LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you guys, I appreciate your replies. I didn’t know it is that bad out here. I figured open carry will make some people uncomfortable, but to call the police and lie / say I threatened them with a firearm when I didn’t?... Isn’t this like considered “filing false police report” or something. Plus ... what IF I’m a LEO- wouldn’t they get scared that they might get arrested for lying. I get it now that I shouldn’t open carry or even print... but damn... now I feel scared to even CC because if a friend of mine know I’m CC and we get into verbal disagreement I feel like he/she can make me go down real easy... just call the cops and lie on me and I’m in jail + my LTC gone. Or if I bend over in super marker and firearm becomes visible to others. WTH???? Literally scared and ready to surrender my LTC lmao

Also, i feel scared to use it self defense because I do not clearly understand under what circumstances I’m allowed to use it. I don’t think I can use it if someone punches me in the face... but can I use it when someone pulls knife on me? Or do I have to wait for them to stab me first. Chances are if I shoot them, cops come and the criminal will say I pulled my firearm on him first so he pulled out a knife... so damn lost.

My first thought was "how long till I see the OP in the news"

But now it looks like you are starting to get what it is like in MA. I got to watch the decline, going from FFL/MA Dealer to leaving the state in 20 years. Now I just hope the same ones who are wrecking MA will stay away from my new home, and it's a very real concern.

Well, thank you for your replies guys. Sorry for lots of “dumb” questions and I’m not trolling at all- just not really aware how I can legally use my firearm in self defense. I did obviously take a safety course to obtain my LTC, but the instructor did not elaborate when I can use it in self defense. All he said is “if you shoot someone, make sure you kill them”... which made me even more confused.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your replies. I didn’t know it is that bad out here. I figured open carry will make some people uncomfortable, but to call the police and lie / say I threatened them with a firearm when I didn’t?... Isn’t this like considered “filing false police report” or something. Plus ... what IF I’m a LEO- wouldn’t they get scared that they might get arrested for lying. I get it now that I shouldn’t open carry or even print... but damn... now I feel scared to even CC because if a friend of mine know I’m CC and we get into verbal disagreement I feel like he/she can make me go down real easy... just call the cops and lie on me and I’m in jail + my LTC gone. Or if I bend over in super marker and firearm becomes visible to others. WTH???? Literally scared and ready to surrender my LTC lmao

No worries my dude. Make sure to wear your credentials and you should be okay.

HIzQAAo.jpg

Well, my dad owns a shop and I help him out. I carry cash for him/make deposits. They asked for proof and I gave it to them. Are you saying it’s really hard to get unrestricted in Boston? Like only 1/10 gets it? Sorry, I’m new here keep tell you guys.
If you run into a problem many miles from your Dad's shop and you were not involved in your Dad's business affairs when you got stopped by the cops with your gun, you may have a real problem. The Boston PD gave you that LTC for your Dad's business. When you are not working for Dad, leave the gun and LTC at home before you permanently lose both. Carry a folding lockblade knife and a can of OC instead.

OC is a great idea to people unfamiliar with OC.
Worked well for my wife. As a student at LSU, she was accosted by some creep in the parking lot outside the computer lab one evening. The Sabre- brand spray that she used incapacitated him and she was able to escape. LSU police arrested a suspect a week later after he tried a similar attack.

Your instructor gave you very bad advice that would land you in jail for certain if you ever had to use the gun.

Take an NRA Personal Protection in the Home & then NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home courses given by a competent instructor (many teach, few are competent) and you'll have a better understanding of the responsibilities and potential outcome of any self-defense shooting. I teach those courses but doubt that I'll ever teach them in MA again (classes will be in NH instead).

In the meantime go to Amazon and order and read Atty Andrew Branca's book "The Law of Self Defense" 3rd Edition. It will give you some legal insight if you are going to carry.
https://smile.amazon.com/Law-Self-Defense-Indispensable-Citizen/dp/1943809143

And then there are shooting skills which one needs to build up before considering carrying. You own every bullet and if one goes astray and hits an innocent person, building, car, etc. you will be in a heap of legal trouble even if you are doing so in self-defense.

You need to read the Law of Self Defense and take Len's legal seminar. Otherwise I foretell a revoked license and expensive lawyers fees in your future. Assuming you don't get yourself killed. Really take the time to learn the Law and best practices. Boston and Massachusetts in general is not a forgiving environment for mistakes. You cannot make them unscathed here.

Also, i feel scared to use it self defense because I do not clearly understand under what circumstances I’m allowed to use it. I don’t think I can use it if someone punches me in the face... but can I use it when someone pulls knife on me? Or do I have to wait for them to stab me first. Chances are if I shoot them, cops come and the criminal will say I pulled my firearm on him first so he pulled out a knife... so damn lost.

You need to get some training in use of force and what constitutes legal deadly force. This is Massachusetts and the definition is not very cut and dry. Also concealed means concealed. Everyone else in the world is on a need to know basis. Lastly regarding printing, etc. The best strategy for an armed citizen is learn how to de-select yourself as a target. That avoids the use of any force at all.

Your license is going to be downgraded to restricted in 5 years. What do you plan on doing about it now?

Bean Town Dude-

Honestly- do you even have a LTC or is this all hype?

What firearm do you plan to open carry and print with?

Do you belong to a club (sportsman club, not a night club) where you can practice all the safety lessons you learned in your required firearms safety course? -OR- do you feel that regular live fire training with your firearm is not necessary and you will know what to do when the situation arises and $hit hits the fan?

I’m thinking maybe you should show-off and open carry, perhaps on a busy day in an area of big crowds or a bank etc. That would quickly put this issue to rest and we could all move on when your license gets yanked.

Inquiring minds want to know!

If you run into a problem many miles from your Dad's shop and you were not involved in your Dad's business affairs when you got stopped by the cops with your gun, you may have a real problem. The Boston PD gave you that LTC for your Dad's business. When you are not working for Dad, leave the gun and LTC at home before you permanently lose both. Carry a folding lockblade knife and a can of OC instead.
An unrestricted ltc is an unrestricted ltc. Op did not say his ltc states "for employment only" or anything like that which would then make it restricted. If his ltc doesn't have anything written on it stating it's for his dad's business he can carry it any time he wants.

I had a client involved in a road rage incident with a crazy person. Client was walking through parking lot and crazy person drove at client in car. Client puts hand on hip to be ready to draw and crazy person screams “What? Do you have a gun?” Client says “Yes, and I have a license”.

Crazy person told police client pointed gun and threatened to shoot crazy person.

Client charged with assault with a dangerous weapon. LTC suspended. Crazy person still walking around.

Don’t let anyone know you have a gun until they hear the bang.

Last edited:
I had a client involved in a road rage incident with a crazy person. Client was walking through parking lot and crazy person drove at him in car. Client puts hand on hip to be ready to draw and crazy person screams “What? Do you have a gun?” Client says “Yes, and I have a license”.

Crazy person told police client pointed gun and threatened to shoot crazy person.

Client charged with assault with a dangerous weapon. LTC suspended. Crazy person still walking around.

Don’t let anyone know you have a gun until they hear the bang.

if they hear the bang, you missed.

i tell NO ONE, not even friends, when im carrying. PERIOD.
Got home yesterday and put my gun back in the bedside vault. Wife asked if i had it on me all day. She was with me all day. I'm getting good at keeping it with me and not tugging my shirt and bear pawing my hip all day.

Well, thank you for your repAll he said is “if you shoot someone, make sure you kill them”... which made me even more confused.

Holy shit.

Kid, seriously: get some better training.

Get a refund, although I’m having a little trouble buying that is all he said (or that he said it at all, more likely some other jamoke in the class said it)

No offence intended, but sometimes folks (newbies) can be so happy and proud when they get their first LTC and gun and start to carry, that they want the world to know it. It will pass. Jack.
You need to hide more than the gun. Make sure your LTC does not show when you open your wallet. I notice some people put their LTC where they can peek at it every time they buy lunch. The problem is people notice. I've introduced myself to shooters at work in front of me in the lunch line because they flashed their LTC, and I know of a situation where a NY state cop raised the gun issue only because the out of state driver at a routine stop kept his CT carry permit in a visible position.

Be the gray man. Get lost in a crowd of one. Try not to stand out like a turd in a punchbowl.

OP - First, welcome to NES. Stick around it gets better and better.
Take a little time a read some of the related threads on the forum. Listen to advice from Swatgig, Rob Boudrie and LenS. That is advice that you can count on. Consider taking LenS's class. You will be glad you did.

Now, take a breath, and relax. Get some practice and some training. If you don't belong to a club, there are several ranges that you can shoot at, without becoming a member. Get familiar with your firearm. If you plan on carrying, you should damn well know how to use it, It is a responsibility. I get it, you jumped through all the hoops, took the class, paid the money, took the live fire test. You want to get a Tshirt that says, " I f***in did it! I got my LTC in Boston!" Don't. Save it for the range, join a club, meet people.

There are gun owners and there are shooters. Shooters practice, get better, learn about laws and gear, maybe start a small collection. Gun owners get a gun, and hardly ever shoot it. Everyone has different needs or wants in regards to gun ownership. You have to decide what is right for you. I decided long ago, that if I was going to carry a firearm, I was damn sure going to be able to use it and know when to use it.

The short answer as to when you can use your firearm is, when you feel your life, or the life of a loved one, is in danger, and you have no other choice. Even then, you will be arrested in Mass, even if the shooting is totally justified. If that were to happen, heaven forbid, do not talk to the police. Read more about this.

Welcome to the world of firearm ownership. But recognize that owning a firearm does not make you a shooter any more than owning a golf club makes you a golfer. Be safe, and have fun. Shooting is just about the coolest, most fun, activity available in all of it's glorious variations from target shooting, to competition shooting, skeet and trap. If you take this seriously, in no time, you can become a serious shooter. With some practice, a serious competitor. Practice a little, then go to a pin/plate shoot. You won't believe how much fun it can be.
Consider becoming a paid member of this forum. And participate. There are lots of good reasons why and you will discover them all, as well as have the opportunity to interact with some of the best people in the firearms community in the area. Maybe even go to an NES shoot. Good times.
upload_2019-10-20_11-40-21.png

do you know who gets shot first in any gun on gun situation?

The good guy the bad guy knows is armed. He walks in and takes you out first as he knows you are a threat.

I don't know where you got your training, if any, but I'd be asking for a refund.
seriously?! You have been in MA way too long if you believe this BS. Holy f***! Am I glad I got out of that cesspool! You guys need to go find your balls if you ever had any.

Funny how MA is an open carry state, but you can get in trouble just for “print”.
Your license is going to be downgraded to restricted in 5 years. What do you plan on doing about it now?
Why are you saying that my license will be downgraded in 5 years? I’m pretty sure based on responses in this thread and other threads- once you’re unrestricted you remain unrestricted when renew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom