• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some questions about Boston Unrestricted LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas. I’m new on here and had a couple of questions that I was curious about. I’m 26 y/o and I applied for LTC in Boston for first time last year and got unrestricted LTC. Do you guys have any idea if I keep unrestricted when I renew? Also, what’s the situation with carrying in Boston; can I sometimes open carry or if not is it at least OK to “print” or printing will get my license revoked? Thanks

Don’t open carry.

It’s 100% legal, but a terrible idea. If (when) someone gets spooked and calls the cops you’ll have your LTC revoked right quick for “suitably”

Concealed means concealed. Don’t give anyone a reason to get scared and call the cops.

Yes, it will probably stay unrestricted upon renewal.

I’m surprised you got an unrestricted LTC in Boston on a first application, maybe (I hope) that’s indicative of a shift in policy.

Don’t open carry.

It’s 100% legal, but a terrible idea. If (when) someone gets spooked and calls the cops you’ll have your LTC revoked right quick for “suitably”

Concealed means concealed. Don’t give anyone a reason to get scared and call the cops.

Yes, it will probably stay unrestricted upon renewal.

I’m surprised you got an unrestricted LTC in Boston on a first application, maybe (I hope) that’s indicative of a shift in policy.

Thank you! Can I get cops call on me for “printing” as well and loose my LTC? Also, it wasn’t too easy. I had to kind talk them into giving me unrestricted.

Why would you want to open carry in MA? Seriously, you are only asking for trouble.

There are enough ways to CC without printing. Find one that works for you.
I know it might be stupid, but I like the idea of others knowing that Im carrying. That is why I asked if it’s OK to print.

Serious about what? I’m pretty sure I mentioned that I’m new here. New on this forum and new to the whole firearm ownership thing

That’s why we can’t understand how you got an unrestricted license in Boston on your first try?
That’s the holy grail of Boston firearms licenses which no one gets especially on their first try ?

Why would you want somebody to know you’re carrying a firearm? Now it sounds like you’re only looking for trouble. A firearm is a last resort for self protection not a sign on your forehead that says if you screw with me you’re in trouble. Like others have said concealed means concealed and don’t ever print.

That’s why we can’t understand how you got an unrestricted license in Boston on your first try?
That’s the holy grail of Boston firearms licenses which no one gets especially on their first try ?
Well, my dad owns a shop and I help him out. I carry cash for him/make deposits. They asked for proof and I gave it to them. Are you saying it’s really hard to get unrestricted in Boston? Like only 1/10 gets it? Sorry, I’m new here keep tell you guys.

OP,

It's that your question (or variants of it) have been asked many, many times here. Obviously, you've had no time to plumb the fathomless deeps of NESness. [laugh]

It's tough to remember how we were when we were new to the game.

The consensus is that you are now part of an unpopular minority, and standing out is not a good idea. Cops have a broad level of discretion about who is suitable, and what constitutes unsuitability.

Like Gandalf say, "Keep it secret! Keep it safe." (I know that's not from the book [laugh]).

NES has a lot of good info, but there are some that will be a bit harsh about questions that are asked repeatedly. Though, it's new to you. A thick-ish skin is a requirement.

Take a look through some of the older threads in the Mass Laws section.

Welcome.

Yes it’s hard to get unrestricted in Boston and a lot of the surrounding suburbs.

Don’t open carry. It’s legal but your just inviting a world of hurt and trouble on yourself. Same goes for “letting them know” your carrying.

Welcome to the forum.

Did you tell the licensing officers you wish to open carry and print? Or did you fail to mention that while you were trying to convince them you should be issued an unrestricted license?
Do yourself snd the rest of us a favor and don’t stir the pot. The vast majority of us work hard to stay out of the spotlight, and not draw any attention to ourselves. Don’t make things any harder for us or the next guy applying for their license.
End of story.

do you know who gets shot first in any gun on gun situation?

The good guy the bad guy knows is armed. He walks in and takes you out first as he knows you are a threat.

I don't know where you got your training, if any, but I'd be asking for a refund.

'Dude, seriously stop posting for the night. Search the NES forum with your most common questions and you will have a nights worth of answers that conflict. For open carry - don't.

Anything we can tell you now about your renewal 5+ years from now is a guess. Take some time and do some reading.

Welcome to NES.

Matt

Thank you! Can I get cops call on me for “printing” as well and loose my LTC? Also, it wasn’t too easy. I had to kind talk them into giving me unrestricted.

“Unsuitable” is code for “you’ve given us an excuse to yank your LTC,”.

There are no rules anyone can tell you.

If you’re printing badly enough that someone calls the cops on you, that’s too much.

They can pull your license for suitability for getting too many parking tickets, saying something rude to a cop, being near (but not involved in) a bar fight... whatever.

Don’t get hung up on printing, that’s just one of 1,000 reasons they could use.

Also, if you’re making a half assed effort to conceal, chances are nobody will notice, people don’t generally look for or recognize a print.

I know it might be stupid, but I like the idea of others knowing that Im carrying. That is why I asked if it’s OK to print.
Rethink that.

If you let your opponents know you are carrying, not only do you surrender tactical advantage, but you give them veto authority over your LTC. Really. All it takes is one "he threatened to shoot me" and getting your LTC back will not even be the top item on your problem list.

Also, if you’re making a half assed effort to conceal, chances are nobody will notice, people don’t generally look for or recognize a print.
If asked by anyone other than LE, consider answering "colostomy bag" when asked about the bulge.

Alternatively, if it is a business and an employee is asking, respond with questions about how many undercover operatives do you have walking the floor; where are your cameras positioned; how long before the recordings cycle; etc. When they refuse to answer respond with "As long as you are asking about my security procedures, I figured it was OK to ask about yours".

I don't know where you got your training, if any, but I'd be asking for a refund.
QFTMFT

Are you saying it’s really hard to get unrestricted in Boston?
Let's just say you did really well to pull it off. There are lots of LTC holders who would be smitten by the green eyed monster knowing you got one and they did not. It is easier to keep unrestricted at renewal than to get it in the first place.

There are no rules anyone can tell you.
The new rule is dangerousness, however, courts ignore that law and cite the obsolete precedent (Moyer v. Shelburne) that absolutely requires the chief to feel he had a reason to revoke the LTC. It does not require the reason be reasonable, or even provide for judicial evaluation thereof, just that the issuing authority thought it was a good reason.

Last edited:

Nope nope nope.

Just don’t. Terrible idea.

Put your testosterone away and remember you live in a society with other people. You showing off your gun is a shit move, even where nobody cares. It’s a threat.

Don’t be that guy.

OP - definitely open carry in MA, let alone Boston. Especially around colleges/universities, other schools, hospitals, federal property, and other state/local governmental properties.

2A baby!!!

Did you tell the licensing officers you wish to open carry and print? Or did you fail to mention that while you were trying to convince them you should be issued an unrestricted license?
Do yourself snd the rest of us a favor and don’t stir the pot. The vast majority of us work hard to stay out of the spotlight, and not draw any attention to ourselves. Don’t make things any harder for us or the next guy applying for their license.
End of story.

Unless Maura and her band of merry nazis put you up to this, which I doubt. But had to say.

Following up on the others. ESPECIALLY in Boston all is takes is a XOMG A GUN call and you're getting proned out or worse. Congrats on becoming licensed. Keeping a low profile is suggested whether you make cash runs or not.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your replies. I didn’t know it is that bad out here. I figured open carry will make some people uncomfortable, but to call the police and lie / say I threatened them with a firearm when I didn’t?... Isn’t this like considered “filing false police report” or something. Plus ... what IF I’m a LEO- wouldn’t they get scared that they might get arrested for lying. I get it now that I shouldn’t open carry or even print... but damn... now I feel scared to even CC because if a friend of mine know I’m CC and we get into verbal disagreement I feel like he/she can make me go down real easy... just call the cops and lie on me and I’m in jail + my LTC gone. Or if I bend over in super marker and firearm becomes visible to others. WTH???? Literally scared and ready to surrender my LTC lmao

Also, i feel scared to use it self defense because I do not clearly understand under what circumstances I’m allowed to use it. I don’t think I can use it if someone punches me in the face... but can I use it when someone pulls knife on me? Or do I have to wait for them to stab me first. Chances are if I shoot them, cops come and the criminal will say I pulled my firearm on him first so he pulled out a knife... so damn lost.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your replies. I didn’t know it is that bad out here. I figured open carry will make some people uncomfortable, but to call the police and lie / say I threatened them with a firearm when I didn’t?... Isn’t this like considered “filing false police report”
It's not that simple. Someone can feel threatened by a firearm on the person of someone they are having an argument with, and you cannot expect them to tell responding officers "we were arguing, but at no point did he threaten me" but more likely something like "I was afraid he would shoot me". The later will be parsed as "he threatened to shoot him". Yes, I have seen this happen (well, seen the aftermath).

Chances are nothing will happen other than a license check if someone you are not arguing with sees the gun. This is, of course, assuming you are white - black or hispanic and you might just get a warning shot though the head or center of mass (a sad reality of today's racial environment).

I know one person who was prosecuted because he pulled back his coat to display a gun when someone had their hands around his neck. He won at trial, and amazingly got his LTC back, but it was an ordeal.

I know another who displayed a gun when a large person with a felony assault record, and another assault charge pending, was threatening him. He was arrested and charges dropped when the assailant refused to testify. He told me he was not allowed to introduce his assailant's record which shows bad lawyering (the attorney obviously was not cognizant as to the import of Commonwealth v. Adjutant). No conviction. He appealed the refusal to reinstate his LTC in district court. He lost. The chief chose not to fight it when this person applied for an FID but, if the chief asked for a no-FID court order, it would have almost certainly been granted.

This is not rumor. I have direct knowledge of these cases, and more - and in some cases read not only the transcript/decision but the police report and and if applicable warrant. Yes, it is that bad.

Last edited:
Take couple classes in self defense with a gun.

Any decent class will cover your questions, including the legal ones.

In my opinion, *nobody* is prepared to carry a gun in Mass. without training beyond what you should get with your safety course.

It sounds like whoever did your safety course did you s disservice by not making this clear.

Even in a free state, anyone who carries a gun should take some personal protection classes. It could save your life, or keep you out of jail.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your replies. I didn’t know it is that bad out here. I figured open carry will make some people uncomfortable, but to call the police and lie / say I threatened them with a firearm when I didn’t?... Isn’t this like considered “filing false police report” or something. Plus ... what IF I’m a LEO- wouldn’t they get scared that they might get arrested for lying. I get it now that I shouldn’t open carry or even print... but damn... now I feel scared to even CC because if a friend of mine know I’m CC and we get into verbal disagreement I feel like he/she can make me go down real easy... just call the cops and lie on me and I’m in jail + my LTC gone. Or if I bend over in super marker and firearm becomes visible to others. WTH???? Literally scared and ready to surrender my LTC lmao

Also, i feel scared to use it self defense because I do not clearly understand under what circumstances I’m allowed to use it. I don’t think I can use it if someone punches me in the face... but can I use it when someone pulls knife on me? Or do I have to wait for them to stab me first. Chances are if I shoot them, cops come and the criminal will say I pulled my firearm on him first so he pulled out a knife... so damn lost.

I’m surprised Maura’s employee training manual didn’t cover the art of being covert. Or are you a Statie drop out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom