Expiring medical marijuana card and obtaining LTC

Hello brain trust,

This is not for me I’m am seeking advice for my boss. He has a medical card for marijuana and has been wanting to get a gun for protection.

If he lets his medical card expire what are the chances he would get hung up with applying for an LTC after the lapse of his medical card?

He had explained to me he got the card to save on taxes. I would have done the same but wasn’t risking it, I had my LTC prior to the legalization of marijuana.

Anyone have any experience with this?

(Yes I know it is still technically a crime on a federal level blah blah blah)

Spend 10min on the phone with NEIL.

If he really cares, he will do that. If he doesn't, he deserves whatever he gets.

Buddy had an issue getting arrested when he was a minor (not convicted, didn't go to trial, he was just stupid). He called Neil and was told what to do. He has his LTC.

The state has two completely f***ed up unconstitutional registry/licensing/regulatory systems that are at odds, and you're asking how to reconcile them? And you expect to navigate these systems while still retaining your rights? That's just silly.

Alternatively I submit that free men choose which laws they follow, arbitrary rules should be broken on principal, and both systems were established to enrich the politically favored and give no-show jobs to complete retards whom I wouldn't even trust to run a cash register.

Don't be a pussy, and don't be a test case.

The state has two completely f***ed up unconstitutional registry/licensing/regulatory systems that are at odds, and you're asking how to reconcile them? And you expect to navigate these systems while still retaining your rights? That's just silly.

Alternatively I submit that free men choose which laws they follow, arbitrary rules should be broken on principal, and both systems were established to enrich the politically favored and give no-show jobs to complete retards whom I wouldn't even trust to run a cash register.

There is no test case here, this whole thread is paralysis by overanalasis. If the like 5? people in the US that this was ever a problem for hid their MMJ card this probably wouldn't be a thing. Actually in mass it's less of a thing, there's even a provisio in MA weed law that prevents the killing professional licensing for minor weed offenses.

"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
~Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Spend 10min on the phone with NEIL.

If he really cares, he will do that. If he doesn't, he deserves whatever he gets.

Buddy had an issue getting arrested when he was a minor (not convicted, didn't go to trial, he was just stupid). He called Neil and was told what to do. He has his LTC.
How much did Neil charge your buddy to tell him to answer yes on question 4?

Last edited:
How much did Neil charge your buddy to tell him to pay answer yes on question 4?
I will not post that. Call and ask.

You are thinking about this the wrong way. If my buddy f*cked up, hiring a lawyer to fix it would have been a lot more expensive and time consuming.

I will not post that. Call and ask.

You are thinking about this the wrong way. If my buddy f*cked up, hiring a lawyer to fix it would have been a lot more expensive and time consuming.
Like by not answering yes on question four for instance?

Last edited:
Like by not answering yes on question for for instance?
It has been over a decade since I applied for my LTC so I don't remember what #question asks for what and you should know not every PD asks for the same things.

My recommendation to everyone, if they have been in any sort of trouble is to call and ask a guy that knows what he is doing.

If you want to risk it, then don't call and risk potentially spending a lot of money to exercise your right. You are a big boy, you decide. I won't tell you what to do.

By the way, I believe he was told to do more than just answer the question, he was told to explain what happened in a very specific way, using certain words. I don't know the details, and I am not calling my buddy to ask him.

If you really need to how much he charges for a quick phone call, call and ask. I posted his website. If you won't call and ask, drop it and move on.

In case you didn't get the message - for obvious reasons, I will never post how much a person charges, or maybe he didn't charge, online. Think about it.

Last edited:
It has been over a decade since I applied for my LTC so I don't remember what #question asks for what and you should know not every PD asks for the same things.

My recommendation to everyone, if they have been in any sort of trouble is to call and ask a guy that knows what he is doing.

If you want to risk it, then don't call and risk potentially spending a lot of money to exercise your right. You are a big boy, you decide. I won't tell you what to do.

By the way, I believe he was told to do more than just answer the question, he was told to explain what happened in a very specific way, using certain words. I don't know the details, and I am not calling my buddy to ask him.

If you really need to how much he charges for a quick phone call, call and ask. I posted his website. If you won't call and ask, drop it and move on.

In case you didn't get the message - for obvious reasons, I will never post how much a person charges, or maybe he didn't charge, online. Think about it.
4. Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court for any criminal offense?

This is where people make mountains out of molehills. This is a very straightforward, yes or no answer. Then, in the section where they say provide details in his case it would be the date, the charges, and not convicted. If he paid someone for that information it’s kind of sad. The Slippin’ Jimmys of the world love billable hours.

4. Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court for any criminal offense?

This is where people make mountains out of molehills. This is a very straightforward, yes or no answer. Then, in the section where they say provide details in his case it would be the date, the charges, and not convicted. If he paid someone for that information it’s kind of sad. The Slippin’ Jimmys of the world love billable hours.

Cool story, bro.

You should undercut lawyers by 20-50%, with this simple, straight forward advice, you will probably make a killing working 5min.

:rolleyes:

Anyway ... moving on.

Cool story, bro.

You should undercut lawyers by 20-50%, with this simple, straight forward advice, you will probably make a killing working 5min.

:rolleyes:

Anyway ... moving on.
You’re welcome. In the event you happen to know anyone else who can’t understand have you ever been arrested or appeared in court for any criminal offense they can post here for a remedial version free o’ charge.

We'll see. With everything I have been reading online, I believe it is a done deal. They are just waiting for the right time. (like right before 11/6/24)

There's no incentive for them to do it on 11/6/24, if they haven't done it before then they'll keep it in their pocket to use during the next election cycle.

So what is the minimum time a "new guy" has to wait before he can express a strong opinion? Asking for a friend..........
Tell your friend he’s not the gate keeper of greetings and his white knighting is not needed here. We have mods for that.

Pretty salty for a new guy. Competing attorney or just basic know-it-all?
He is the typical guy that could have a 10min conversation, but would instead do it on his own and have to pay thousands in the end. Because he is also too stubborn to understand how lawyers work. Most likely someone that has never dealt with a lawyer for anything other than maybe buying a house.

That way of thinking will cost him. But that is not my problem, some people only learn by touching the hot stove and then dealing with the doctor bill.

I can only hope other noobs know better and are not steered in the wrong direction.

He is the typical guy that could have a 10min conversation, but would instead do it on his own and have to pay thousands in the end. Because he is also too stubborn to understand how lawyers work. Most likely someone that has never dealt with a lawyer for anything other than maybe buying a house.

That way of thinking will cost him. But that is not my problem, some people only learn by touching the hot stove and then dealing with the doctor bill.

I can only hope other noobs know better and are not steered in the wrong direction.
I agree, it’s pretty bad advice to tell someone they’re wasting their time by asking a couple simple questions of an experienced 2A attorney (who’s also a respected member here) about the process and requirements, more so in a state like MA where they actively try to discourage applications by skirting their own laws and bundling everybody with red tape for miles.

I agree, it’s pretty bad advice to tell someone they’re wasting their time by asking a couple simple questions of an experienced 2A attorney (who’s also a respected member here) about the process and requirements, more so in a state like MA where they actively try to discourage applications by skirting their own laws and bundling everybody with red tape for miles.
And, if you screw up and get denied, now you have to check the "denied" box every time.

But the new dude knows best. I guess. 🤷‍♂️

So much fun, now you can check the denied box + the box that you were arrested so you can explain your arrest and how checking the arrested box got you denied. [rofl]

Zero chance.

He talked about it during the last campaign and as soon as he got into office when questioned about it stated “they were too busy”.

He won’t do it prior he will use it as a tool to get votes first once the polling shows how bad of a chance he has. But then still do nothing about it. People forget he was a major part of the crime bill and drug bills to begin with.

Police unions, prison unions, all the three letter agencies and big pharma don’t want it to happen. And they all have great influence

Marijuana wont be legal on federal level for quite some time unfortunately. Far too many closed minded people out there
Looking like a better than zero chance....much better

I'm not a lawyer, but per the letter of the law, I don't think having a Medical Marijuana Card is a disqualifier for obtaining your LTC. The law, even for recreational use, says that possessing and using marijuana within the limits of the law can't subject the person to any sanctions or penalties, and denying an LTC based on a MMC would be a sanction/penalty. I'm not aware of any legal cases that have tested this in either way, though I do know of at least one person who had both an LTC and MMC at the same time. Buying a firearm (from a FFL), on the other hand, requires you to fill out a 4473, and the question about illegal drugs clearly states that regardless of state law, any marijuana use is illegal and a disqualifier for purchasing a gun. It's also been ruled that having a MMC, even if you've never touched marijuana is itself a disqualification for purchasing a gun.

Someone will come along shortly to correct me though.
The problem with this BS is 'who's law?'

It's still illegal federally. So, for a 'federal form', how can you process MJ 'legally'? Thankfully, I don't have to worry about it and I hope the legalization process continues to roll, or at least a cutout for medical use federally.

It's still illegal federally. So, for a 'federal form', how can you process MJ 'legally'? Thankfully, I don't have to worry about it and I hope the legalization process continues to roll, or at least a cutout for medical use federally.

DEA just announced it's going to be rescheduled soon.

My post was pretty clear on the difference between getting your LTC (state form) and filling out a 4473 to buy from a dealer (federal form).

My post was pretty clear on the difference between getting your LTC (state form) and filling out a 4473 to buy from a dealer (federal form).
Semantics, even if he can get a LTC, how would he 'legally' obtain a firearm? Face to face, sure, but he's still currently forbidden technically at the federal level. Wouldn't that make the face to face suspect if someone really wanted to dive into it?

Does a medical card proxy for a prescription?
If so then once rescheduled then a card holder would be a lawfully prescribed user federally.
If the medical card doesn't count then any doctor willing to write a script is going to make a lot of money

Back
Top Bottom