Some .357 advice please

The Goose

NES Member
I would like some advice on a really good .357 magnum revolver. I am interested in a shooter. It will not be a carry gun, but I want something that will stand up to a fair amount of shooting. It may become a night stand/home defense weapon, but that remains to be seen. Preferably a 4" barrel and weight is not much of a factor. I want something comfortable, fun and reliable to take to the range. As an example I have an old S&W 15-3 .38 that is probably the best gun I own, what might be comparable in .357. Would prefer something without an integral lock. I want something that I can shoot the crap out of without it coming loose prematurely. Thanks for any advice.

The S&W L frame (686 in Stainless, not sure if they even make the 586 blued one any more) is a classic moderately priced .357, with the 4" barrel being an excellent choice for overall use where concealability is not a factor.

The 686 used to be availabel only as a six shooter, however, S&W is mow making models with 7 round cylinders (same cylinder diameter). The new models come with the integral lock, and trigger jobs on S&W recolvers are readily avalable.
[/i]

The 4" model 66 was probably the best ever made. I don't know of available these days. The model 19 was awesome as well. As with any .357, I suggest doing most of the shooting with .38 ammo.

While I like the K-frame S&W's myself, I think Rob's suggestion of the S&W 586/686 is a very good one, especially if you plan on shooting a lot of .357 Magnums. While I think the K-frames would hold up better than most people expect, the L-frames will be more comfortable for extended shooting sessions with magnum loads.

The Ruger GP-100 is a good revolver also. They are very strong but do not seem (to me) to be quite as well finished as the S&W's. However that is more subjective than objective.

I have a 4" Model 66 and a 6" 686P (the seven shot). I like 'em both. I used to have a Mod 19, and I wouldn't hesitate to bet my life on it, either.

My COP .357 is a good backup gun, but not one I want to shoot a lot of .357 through. :)

I shoot my S&W Model 27 (N-frame) better than any other gun I own. Phenomenal craftsmanship, gorgeous blued finish. They don't make them like that any more. You can shoot 100% magnum loads through an N frame without worry.

I really like my S&W 66. Every time I shoot .38s out of another revolver, I appreciate the 66 even more. The trigger is very smooth. Even if I have a bad day at the range, I know that I can still hit with the 66 in single-action. So, it's pleasant for that reason alone.

I get the sense that .357s sort of knock it about somewhat. The last few times I shot .357s I had to retighten the screws. I appied some guntite since the last time, which might have solved that problem (don't know). Shooting .357s in the SW66 goes like this:

"[BANG!] Wow! That was fun! OK, the gun is still in one piece. Let's try it again. [BANG!] Woo-hoo! And, the gun held together! etc...."

That is not to say that I don't recommend it. It's just that .357s have a lot of irrational exuberance compared to .38 target reloads. I haven't shot a really heavy-framed gun with .357s, so it could be that an L-frame or a big Ruger might feel more controlable.

Marcus in the Darkus said:
I shoot my S&W Model 27 (N-frame) better than any other gun I own. Phenomenal craftsmanship, gorgeous blued finish. They don't make them like that any more. You can shoot 100% magnum loads through an N frame without worry.
+ 1
I'd go for a used M27 or M28, some of the finest guns ever made by S&W.
Technically they are the same, with the M27 having a higher finish.

Re: .357

Rob Boudrie said:
The S&W L frame (686 in Stainless, not sure if they even make the 586 blued one any more) is a classic moderately priced .357, with the 4" barrel being an excellent choice for overall use where concealability is not a factor.

The 686 used to be availabel only as a six shooter, however, S&W is mow making models with 7 round cylinders (same cylinder diameter). The new models come with the integral lock, and trigger jobs on S&W recolvers are readily avalable.
[/i]

SW686.jpg

S&W-686

I am very happy with this revolver I own the 686, 6-shot. I especially like the soft feel you get from the grip, definitely a fire arm I will always have in my collection. Someday TypeO1313 I will teach ya how to use it, lol ZING

My late police chief was a ardent target shooter and liked guns. One day we are talking in his office and he pulls a S&W 27 out of his drawer, unloads it and hands it to me, saying check out this trigger! [I was NOT a S&W fan back then.]

It was the sweetest trigger job!! He had had some custom gunsmithing done on that gun. I have no idea if it was his personally or the PDs, nor what might have happened to it after he died.

Of course the N series is a bit big and not everyone will feel comfortable with that big a grip.

My Colt Trooper is decent, but the Python is a lot sweeter! :)

If you're looking for, IMHO the best .357 revolver, look into a Dan Wesson. I''ve had one for many years.
When they were made in Monson Mass. they were the most accurate production revolver made. The trigger is really sweet. There are a few used ones out there. Though I belive CZ has bought the Dan Wesson name.

Hubby's first gun (I bought it for him for Valentine's Day :D ) was a Ruger Security Six. Great gun. Got a 3 in. barrel and is really accurate. He's gotten 2 trophy's using that in competition as well.

TonyD said:
The 4" model 66 was probably the best ever made. I don't know of available these days. ... As with any .357, I suggest doing most of the shooting with .38 ammo.

What is the closest current production gun to this one? Why do you suggest .38 ammo? If you want a .38, buy a .38.

That said, how about Taurus with the nice grip, and the integral lock?

Coyote33 said:
TonyD said:
The 4" model 66 was probably the best ever made. I don't know of available these days. ... As with any .357, I suggest doing most of the shooting with .38 ammo.

What is the closest current production gun to this one? Why do you suggest .38 ammo? If you want a .38, buy a .38.

I'm not sure of their current production.

Because of versatility. for one. The other is a cost factor for practice. Also, less punishment to the firearm. Quite frankly there is very few intances I would use a full .357 magnum over a .38 +P. Using this round out of the K-frame gives very good reliability, balance, feel and grip.

Coyote33 said:
TonyD said:

What is the closest current production gun to this one?

According to S&W's website, the Model 520 is the successor to the Model 19... [whining about wanting mine back suppressed]
* 21st Century, Heavy Duty Replacement for the Famous Model 19
* Two-Piece, Enhanced Performance, Semi-Lug Barrel Construction
* 7-Shot Cylinder Capacity
* Adjustable Target Sight

The new Smith & Wesson model 520 is an updated L-frame replacement for the well respected K-frame model 19 that is no longer in production. The 520 uses the time tested and rugged L-frame 7 shot chassis while maintaining the "look" of the K-frame revolver it replaces. Combining a carbon steel frame, titanium cylinder and high accuracy, long life 2 piece barrel, the 520 comes together in an extra strong, high reliability package that will provide the shooter with many years of trustworthy magnum service.

I don't like the dull finish on the cylinder.

Is this also available in stainless? Is the weight and other dimensions the same as the older model?

Thanks.

Coyote33 said:
I don't like the dull finish on the cylinder.

Is this also available in stainless? Is the weight and other dimensions the same as the older model?

Thanks.

Don't know; why don't you go to www.smithandwesson.com and enter .357 in the caliber field on the left hand side of the page and browse? It will return 4 pages, so that's not too much to look through.

I don't know what your tastes are so you're better off looking for yourself. Good luck in your search.

I don't know much about the old model, so have no point of reference other than "I liked it", so browsing wouldn't help much in trying to make a comparison. Thanks anyhow.

well, the L frame is heavier around the cylinder than the old K frame, but the grip size is the same. Other than being a bit beefier, the 7 shot cylinder and the hiviz sites, it looks very similar. The dull finish on the 520 is because the cylinder is titanium, I think. That would lighten the piece somewhat compared to an all steel revolver.

Put it this way: If I wanted a 4" .357, that would be the first thing I'd be looking at. The Dan Wesson's have a good rep, but I do not like the cylinder release on them (this is a purely subjective opinion here; others may like the release on the crane. I don't.) I do not like the Taurus triggers; all the ones I've tried have been gritty - that's the only word for it.

Rugers are nice; you might want to look at the GP100 or GP101. The older Security Six and Speed Sixes have a good rep.

[quote="Coyote33]That said, how about Taurus with the nice grip, and the integral lock?[/quote]

You must not live in The Republic if you can get that...

People seem to be generally down on the integral lock. Not sure why, do they tend to lock at inoportune times?

Coyote,

You can always call S&W directly and ask your questions about relative sizes, differences, etc. between models. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

The Goose,
I forgot to mention something. The S&W 65 (fixed sight) and 66 (adjustable sight) models don't have integral locks (Well, at least mine doesn't). That is one thing the lighter 66 has over the heavier 686. They're available used-only at this point.

Is the 686 the one known as the "mountain gun" or something like that? If not, then there is yet ANOTHER one?

Any of the S&W L frames are good choices. Also, the S&W Model 27 or 28. Someone mentioned Dan Wesson, these were very good guns made in Monson, Mass by the direct discendant of Daniel Baird Wesson. I saw one at the Big E Gunshow on Sunday for about 260 dollars. I had one once and didn't really appreciate it.

Another good choice, and my choice today if I were getting a .357, would be a Ruger GP100. I suppose that if you could find a Colt Trooper or King Cobra at a decent price, those would be good choices as well. I also wouldn't discount the now many years out of manufacture, Ruger Security Six.

K frames in .357 such as Models 19, 66, 13 and 65 don't seem to hold up as well using full loads which is why S&W developed the L frame.

My current battery of .357s include an Sp101, an S&W 686, and two Colt Pythons (semi-retired and true works of art) a six inch Royal Blue, and a four inch Coltguard (electorless nickel finish).

One thing, there are plenty of used .357's on the market, and I think you could find something pretty decent at a fair price.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom