Some .357 advice please

Ruger GP 100- built like a brick shithouse, for minimal money you can improve the trigger yourself w/o a gunsmith.

I would suggest trying them both out first. I actually had the Ruger on the counter ready to buy it when I saw a S&W 686 Plus in the corner of the display case. It fit my hand way better than the Ruger and was more comfortable with the factory Hogue grips. I usually practice with 38's but it handles 357 no problem.

I like the 686 with the 6" barrel so you can do some bullseye shooting as well. It is a pretty damn accurate gun with the right load.

I shoot my S&W Model 27 (N-frame) better than any other gun I own. Phenomenal craftsmanship, gorgeous blued finish. They don't make them like that any more. You can shoot 100% magnum loads through an N frame without worry.

I concur; either M27 or M28 (same gun, matte finish). By all means, do not feed a K-Frame (e.g., M19, M66) a steady diet of .357 Magnum rounds.

I would suggest trying them both out first. I actually had the Ruger on the counter ready to buy it when I saw a S&W 686 Plus in the corner of the display case. It fit my hand way better than the Ruger and was more comfortable with the factory Hogue grips. I usually practice with 38's but it handles 357 no problem.

+1 for the 686 Plus (7shot model).

I bought one a year ago with the 3 inch barrel and it has quickly become my favorite all-around gun. I added CT laser grips and now use it for everything from carry to bedside use. The 3 inch barrel works as a great compromise for me between the 2 1/2 inch and 4 inch barrels.

The 4" model 66 was probably the best ever made. I don't know of available these days. The model 19 was awesome as well. As with any .357, I suggest doing most of the shooting with .38 ammo.

my answer (with questions still never completely answered):
What is different from the 66 to the 686? What makes the 66 better? If it IS so much better, why don't they still make it? I am assuming it was not selling well. That said, they recently came out with their "classic" line. I wonder if maybe they brought it back. Anyone know any of these answers? Thanks.

Well, I looked it up, and see they DID bring back the model 27 in .357, but no model 66.

Last edited:
On impulse I bought a S&W 686 with an 8 3/8 inch barrel, wooden target grips and a custom trigger job at Four Seasons. It is not terribly practical, but what a beautiful piece of engineering. It is my favorite gun to shoot.

Mostly I shoot 38 caliber in it. Because of the weight of the beast there is very little recoil. When I take friends to the range who are new to shooting they tend to migrate to that gun, and I find they have far better accuracy and success with that than any other.

I'll probably pick up another with a shorter barrel at some point. But I really love this pistol.

Rich

I still adore my Ruger Security Six. It's a tank, and amazingly accurate, and the trigger is featherlight and smooth, even double action.

Eventually, I'm sure we'll add a 686 to our collection, but the money's not there right now, and there's a few more pieces ahead of it in line (like a .22lr rifle, probably 10/22, and a little .22LR pistol for introducing newbs.)

Stinx, why did you resurrect a 3+ year old thread to make a buying recommendation to a guy that's probably bought and sold a dozen .357s since 12 of 05?

Another vote on the S&W Model 66, if you can find one. There is just something about the 66 that I always liked.

Last edited:
The 4" model 66 was probably the best ever made. I don't know of available these days. The model 19 was awesome as well. As with any .357, I suggest doing most of the shooting with .38 ammo.

Although very popular with law enforcement at one time and also great guns (ask Ross) the Model 19 and the Model 66 were largely supplanted by the "L" frames because they couldn't maintain a steady diet of 125gr .357 mag loads. There was an erosion of the forcing cone issue that was solved by creating the L frame (models 581, 681, 586, 686) and a slightly beefier gun.

As previoiusly mentioned an "L" frame S&W, or a Ruger GP100 would be a great choices as would any of the now discontinued Colt revolvers: Trooper, King Cobra and Python (the Python is a beautiful gun but will go out of time).

The larger "N" frame S&Ws are good choice too. The now discontinued Highway Patrolman Model 28 was always one of my favorites and the Model 27 which is currently back in production.

The one thing that I wouldn't do is buy a new .357. There are plenty of good .357's out there in good shape in the used market.

Mark L.

Last edited:
I had a 6" S&W 686 (my first centerfire handgun) and loved it. In a moment of weakness, I sold it for more than I paid and was later sorry to have done so. [sad]
Shortly after, I bought a Ruger GP100 4" and that has served me well since. Both are good guns, get what fits/feels best to you.

I use a k frame model 19. Great gun. I shoot 158 grain magnums out of it all day long no problems. I also shoot 38's too. I hear about the forcing cone issue or whatever, but I also heard that 110 grain copper jacket magnum rounds were the primary suspect in that damage due to velocity.

Model 19 is my fav to shoot. Go Roundgun!

So many people have chimed in that I feel like I'm being redundant, but the L frame Smith is such an outstanding choice it can't be emphasized enough. It combines looks, function and durability and is (with a little looking) reasonably priced to boot!

We used to carry the Ruger Police Six. I liked it. Nice stainless, dependable pistol.

I have a Ruger Security Six, stainless, with an 8" barrel. This gun has never given me a problem, is more accurate than I am, easy to clean, and just a blast to shoot. Many here that have been to any of the recent shoots have used it and can attest to the above. That said, you can't go wrong with any of the S&W wheelguns previously mentioned.

Honestly, I don't know jack about revolvers, although I'm eager to learn. I just picked up a S&W 65-2 with a 4" barrel and I'm lovin it. I have the original wooden side mount grips, but it also came with a set of Hogue grips that are so much more comfortable, that I haven't shot with the wooden grips yet. Fun, fun, fun...

Back
Top Bottom