S&W Shield Reviews

I think it looks like a winner. I'm interested in what the retail price ends up being. If it's much below $400, I think the LC9 will lose a lot of customers.

I do like my LC9, but the Shield comes with two mags, one of which is an 8 rounder. A second LC9 mag adds about $30 to the price. Galloway is supposedly working on a +1 floorplate for the LC9, but no telling when it will come out.

I think they will sell a ton of these things.

All it takes for it to be MA compliant is for them to ruin the trigger...shouldnt take too long for them to slap on a 15+ lb trigger setup and then we can all rejoice. All kidding aside, it looks like a winner. Its on my list to try.

Yes, but what can be done, can also be undone.

Last edited:
Call me silly , but what does this gun have to offer vs a keltec PF9? the keltec is just a tad smaller, with the same ammo capacity, thinner, and about 6 ounces lighter,

If this gun lives up to the hype, Glock is in trouble.

I really want to try the new trigger. The trigger on the Glock is one reason why I like it so much.

The Shield is going to force Glock into the single stack 9mm market.

It's about time.

I hope the Mass trigger won't suck as much as the Mass M&P trigger.

Hopefully a few gunsmiths will be able to make an adjustment.

S&W has a real winner here, it seems.

If this gun lives up to the hype, Glock is in trouble.

I really want to try the new trigger. The trigger on the Glock is one reason why I like it so much.

The Shield is going to force Glock into the single stack 9mm market.

It's about time.

I hope the Mass trigger won't suck as much as the Mass M&P trigger.

Hopefully a few gunsmiths will be able to make an adjustment.

S&W has a real winner here, it seems.

Apex Tactical's Facebook page:
M&P Shield parts coming soon.....very soon.....sooner than you may think!

Triggers are pretty nice out of the box because of the presents of the safety but it still has a bit of a long pull like most pocket guns. Sear and trigger bar are the same (sear housing a bit different) as a the standard M&P line.I have yet to handle one and this 2nd hand info is from guys I know in the business.
f9ba5895.jpg 9765c6a8.jpg 12eab7ee.jpg 34a285b7.jpg f3b6b9be.jpg 34a285b7.jpg 1ac6b3f6.jpg

Now I may actually have to buy an M&P! Very promising, but I thought I'd be buying an LC9 when those came out an after handling one I just didn't "need" one of those either.

Triggers are pretty nice out of the box because of the presents of the safety but it still has a bit of a long pull like most pocket guns. Sear and trigger bar are the same (sear housing a bit different) as a the standard M&P line.I have yet to handle one and this 2nd hand info is from guys I know in the business.
View attachment 29637View attachment 29635View attachment 29633View attachment 29634View attachment 29636View attachment 29634View attachment 29632

I guess we'll have to wait to see how much S&W has to increase the trigger pull for MA compliance. The MA gun is bound to need some work.

View attachment 29637View attachment 29635View attachment 29633View attachment 29634View attachment 29636View attachment 29634View attachment 29632

Just for curiosity's sake, do you know if it retains the M&P type steel sub frame molded into the polymer?

Call me silly , but what does this gun have to offer vs a keltec PF9? the keltec is just a tad smaller, with the same ammo capacity, thinner, and about 6 ounces lighter,

While the Keltec is occasionally available via private sale in MA, the S&W will be in every gun shops case and much easier for people to purchase. I have a feeling if Keltecs were readily available in MA I'd own two or three[grin]

1 - it's a Smith & Wesson.
2 - it's not going to need a "fluff & buff" to make it shootable.
3 - you'll be able to get it new in MA.
4 - the trigger won't suck as bad as a PF9's trigger does.

I'll have to give this a good look. As I've mentioned, my daughter is in the process of getting her LTC. This could be a better carry choice than the BG 380 or some other small pistols. Then again, if she doesn't like it, I suppose I'll just have to keep it. [grin]

Looking at the 360 degree view, I notice it has no magazine disconnect. Seems odd to me.

Last edited:
You mean the Lady Smith?

Besides the LS, there was an NL model, which I always assumed stood for "Not Ladysmith."

Aslo, what does striker fired have to do with having or not having a manual safety? Now, how precocked the striker is and having an internal safety/firing pin block may preclude needing one, but the simple fact of being striker fired, not so much. Many of Browning's first autos were striker fired and all had external safeties as they lacked the internal safeties so common today.

to me this is an exciting gun. We all know the triggers are horrendous out of the box with the M&P's. I had a 45 that was redonkulously horrific. a day at the smiths, its the finest trigger of any gun i have, it shoots very well, fits multiple people comfortably, and the M&P is gaining ground in the aftermarket. I think this will be a win especially for those of us in mass as most small single stack 9's are harder to get than most. Much love to the Smith and Wesson folks, cant wait to see who responds with what.

Dom

S&W already made the ultimate single stack auto, it's called the 3900 series.

I carry a 3914.

I totally agree with that, also too they made an even small series of traditional DA autos with the moniker "Chiefs Special" not to be confused with the J frame revolver of the same name.

Some have mentioned the frame mounted safety is isn't really a safety although it can be used as one. It's really a decocker and any Second and Third Generation S&W semi-auto can be safely carried in an off safety mode, because there is a firing pin safety.

I am sure that S&W will sell a bunch of them if the price point is right. I'd hold off on getting one, however, until we see if there are any bugs that need to be ironed out. Not an untypical situation with S&W but not uncommon with other makers as well.

Last edited:
I've had a 3913 for twenty years and agree completely

not to delrail an already derailed thread, but Im glad to hear good things about the 3913/3914. My wife decided on one as her 1st pistol ( whenever her damn LTC shows up!!!) Can anyone recomend someone to smooth out the DA trigger pull?

The 3913/14 and CS9 are great guns. I wish that S&W still made them, but they are cost prohibitive when compared to the M&P. Interestingly, Smith apparently will make 3rd generation pistols for agencies that want them and the make parts as well for agencies that still use them.

Still, I like the Shield concept and might get one at some point.

The more I read about the new Shield, the more I it. But as always buying anything first generation right after initial distribution may be best to take a wait and see if any issues arise. But I think once proven, one of these will be on the short list.

Hell the short list keeps getting longer, I need more $$$$. [rofl]

not to delrail an already derailed thread, but Im glad to hear good things about the 3913/3914. My wife decided on one as her 1st pistol ( whenever her damn LTC shows up!!!) Can anyone recomend someone to smooth out the DA trigger pull?

Mike LaRocca and Greg Duerr here in Mass, but the gunsmith that I like for trigger jobs on 3rd Gen pistols is Carl Sokol of Chestnut Mtn Sports up in New Hampshire. He has done two pistols for me.

The S&W performance center will also do an action tune.

Like another poster said, 3rd Gen guns will be made on order by specific agencies. The West Virgina State Patrol just ordered some new 3rd Gen .45's.

Back
Top Bottom