S&W Shield Reviews

Didnt read all the posts in this thread, sorry if thia is a dupe, but Collectors was advertising preorders for $389 I think their price was.

Handled one at Blue Northern Trading Company this afternoon. I'm impressed and I think S&W has a winner but I wouldn't buy the initial production run until I was assured that any kinks have been worked out.

I think they will sell a whole bunch of them. The price that they quoted was $419.00.

The free state trigger was decent and broke at about 6lbs. I'm sure that the Mass version will require a trigger job.

DavidC77 said:
What do you mean by "on demo"???

They have one but can't sell it???

Or they just can't sell it in MASS yet???

Thanks.

Only touch, but no happy ending. [wink]

Sent from iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

The free state trigger was decent and broke at about 6lbs. I'm sure that the Mass version will require a trigger job.

I would suspect this also, but the Ruger SR series has about the same trigger break (I've handled the shield at BNTC also, and own an SR9), with the new thumb safety, is it possible for the trigger break to be as light?

Only touch, but no happy ending. [wink]

Sent from iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Thanks.

That sucks that is touch only..... I was hoping that they are going to be MASS OKed as they are.

It will suck if Martha says that we need as MASS Trigger...

I was hoping with the safety she would leave it alone, but we know that she won't, just like the M&P with the safety she still said it needed the MASS Trigger.

Darn you Martha.......................

Thanks.

That sucks that is touch only..... I was hoping that they are going to be MASS OKed as they are.

It will suck if Martha says that we need as MASS Trigger...

I was hoping with the safety she would leave it alone, but we know that she won't, just like the M&P with the safety she still said it needed the MASS Trigger.

Darn you Martha.......................

Geez! I was gonna throw some money down on one but I guess I'll wait to see the MA trigger. If it's a 10 pounder and Lou, at Business End Customs, can square it away I'll still get one.

I believe I said it earlier in this thead, I dont think there will be a difference in trigger for MA on this one. Because of the safety there is no need to go with the 12lb trigger pull that is on the full size and compact M&P. A prime example of this is the SR9C and even some of the newer SR9 full size

I believe I said it earlier in this thead, I dont think there will be a difference in trigger for MA on this one. Because of the safety there is no need to go with the 12lb trigger pull that is on the full size and compact M&P. A prime example of this is the SR9C and even some of the newer SR9 full size

That's what was said about the M&P, but Martha still said it needed the "mass trigger".

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm just going by what the guy at S&W's Shooting Center told me, he said that it will need as "mass trigger most likely ".

Yes that is vague, but it's all I could get out of him.

I'm still waiting to hear that someone (legally) bought one in Mass. That way we wil know if it will fly with the 6.5 trigger or not.

Yeah, you said it earlier in this thread, unfortunately there is no historical precedent to support your optimism. We hoped that the thumb safety variant of the M&P would have permitted a free-state trigger as long as the pistol had a manual safety. Alas, that was not to be as Aunt Martha said otherwise. I don't think S&W can get around this one, and expect that the Ma**h*** version will have a 10-12 lb trigger pull.

If in the event your unlikely hypothesis (I am referring your your wishful thinking politely) is correct, these guns would probably be the number one selling semi-auto in the Kommonwealth, hands down.

That's what was said about the M&P, but Martha still said it needed the "mass trigger".

I would have been amazed if you told me Martha knows what end the bullets come out, but I'm simply blown away that shes also a gunsmith/designer, and is accomplished enough to make this determination, so they can be "safer" for us serfs so we don't hurt ourselves. WILL THE WONDERS EVER CEASE? [rolleyes]

BTW Martha, you still owe me $90 for that time I had to undo the mess you made of my M&P trigger. [angry]

If this gun lives up to the hype, Glock is in trouble.

I really want to try the new trigger. The trigger on the Glock is one reason why I like it so much.

The Shield is going to force Glock into the single stack 9mm market.

It's about time.

I hope the Mass trigger won't suck as much as the Mass M&P trigger.

Hopefully a few gunsmiths will be able to make an adjustment.

S&W has a real winner here, it seems.

ITS FOR THE CHILDREN

Yeah, you said it earlier in this thread, unfortunately there is no historical precedent to support your optimism. We hoped that the thumb safety variant of the M&P would have permitted a free-state trigger as long as the pistol had a manual safety. Alas, that was not to be as Aunt Martha said otherwise. I don't think S&W can get around this one, and expect that the Ma**h*** version will have a 10-12 lb trigger pull.

If in the event your unlikely hypothesis (I am referring your your wishful thinking politely) is correct, these guns would probably be the number one selling semi-auto in the Kommonwealth, hands down.

I thought I had stated my "historical precedent" by referencing the SR9, and the later SR9C having a much better MA trigger. Im not at all "wishful thinking" I honestly dont give a crap. I was just stating that there is precedent for making a serviceable trigger pass AG's regs in this state

As has been stated before many times AG's lists and Regs are only an issue if YOU make them an issue. Dont want a mass trigger, get a free state gun

I dont believe any of the "Manual Safety" models are on the EOPS list, so none of those are "Mass Ok" anyway

They don't have to be specifically listed. They would fall under the "substantially similar" clause.

The trigger pull/safety BS is in CMR940 anyways, which has nothing to do with the EOPS roster. EOPS doesn't care what the trigger pull weight is. It can be 2 pounds as long as the gun doesn't go off when it's dropped (or whatever else is required by the tests. ) The AG's office, on the other hand, is a different story.

My point was earlier that this is more of a matter of what S&Ws lawyers think, and they tend to err conservatively for whatever reason. Whatever ruger or some other company does is irrelevant. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

There will also be the "my dealer thinks its compliant so he is selling it" thing. Watch for this when the Shield hits the roster, whether S&W announces it compliant or not, there WILL be dealers selling them the moment it is known to hit the roster, or even to pass the tests. [laugh] That whole thing is kind of a running gag in MA, for anyone who has
bought guns in this state long enough and knows how things work "on the ground."

-Mike

I thought I had stated my "historical precedent" by referencing the SR9, and the later SR9C having a much better MA trigger. Im not at all "wishful thinking" I honestly dont give a crap. I was just stating that there is precedent for making a serviceable trigger pass AG's regs in this state

As has been stated before many times AG's lists and Regs are only an issue if YOU make them an issue. Dont want a mass trigger, get a free state gun

What does Ruger have to do with S&W in the context of historical precedent? It's apples and oranges and if you actually think that the triggers on the SR pistols are great (they are not really) then you have limited experience with guns with truly good triggers.

You may recall the saga of the S&W MP .45. It looked as if it was good to go as is because the original models had a thumb safety. Well, it didn't. I didn't purchase a free state gun BTW when I got mine, I simply took it to Greg Duerr for a trigger job.

As a S&W stockholder, I would agree with Mike (Dr. Grant's assertion) that S&W tends to be conservative itself when it comes regulations and liability. If you are unfamiliar with the recent (and not so recent) history of the company, you would understand the context in which I meant the term historical precedent. However regardless of how bad (or good) the trigger will be on the Shield, it has great potential for being a hot item in terms of sales. Again, however, if you understand the history of the company, you would also realize that a new model frequently has a few bugs that need to be worked out after the gun has hit the street. If you want historical precedent, I would gently refer you to the history of the L frame revolver series, the extractor issues with the M39 9mm Pistol after it was adopted by the Illinois State Police in 1967 (true, the pistol had been cataloged for approx 10 years but never saw widespread issue), and even the M&P series had a few bugs when the first 9mms and 40's came out. This is why I would encourage people to wait a few months after the pistol is available for sale here, to see what changes, if any, need to be made. I will give S&W great credit for addressing design or manufacturing issues with their products, and fixing them as quickly as they can.

I also own some Ruger stock as well, which has risen dramatically since the new ownership. So I don't really care if you buy a Ruger or a S&W, because you have me covered either way [grin]

Last edited:
I would have been amazed if you told me Martha knows what end the bullets come out, but I'm simply blown away that shes also a gunsmith/designer, and is accomplished enough to make this determination, so they can be "safer" for us serfs so we don't hurt ourselves. WILL THE WONDERS EVER CEASE? [rolleyes]

BTW Martha, you still owe me $90 for that time I had to undo the mess you made of my M&P trigger. [angry]

What I meant by my statement was everyone thought that the M&P 45 with the safety on it would be OKed in MASS, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, good ol Martha stuck her nose into it and said "No It Needs The Sucky MASS Trigger".

Last edited:
I dont believe any of the "Manual Safety" models are on the EOPS list, so none of those are "Mass Ok" anyway

I didn't say they were on the "MASS List", I only answered him that there are M&P's with safety's on them.

He thought that they were not made with safety's, but as I showed him, some are made that way...

If you read my post better you will not see me say anything about it being MASS OK...........

Last edited:
One of the main distributors for most MA shops allowed one to be sent out to shops as a demo, but we have to wait until it's approved to sell it.

Thanks, that's what I thought happened. Smart distributer in a way, get the gun out there and get people handling it, then get their name on a wait list, smart......................

If this gun lives up to the hype, Glock is in trouble.

It won't.

The Shield is going to force Glock into the single stack 9mm market.

It's about time.

Kahr already beat them to it.

hope the Mass trigger won't suck as much as the Mass M&P trigger.

It will.

a few gunsmiths will be able to make an adjustment.

They will, but that adjustment won't be available in free states unless you wear blue or want to fork over big bucks for "custom gunsmithing."

S&W has a real winner here, it seems.

No, they don't. They have a poorly conceived marketing plan and a tendency for masochistic relationships with the MAAG.

1 - it's a Smith & Wesson.
2 - it's not going to need a "fluff & buff" to make it shootable.

Every Massachusetts M&P I've ever touched needed a full trigger job just to be shootable. I suspect these will have shitty triggers just like the rest of the MA legal M&Ps.

Last edited:
t? It's apples and oranges and if you actually think that the triggers on the SR pistols are great (they are not really) then you have limited experience with guns with truly good triggers.

[grin]

My point is, it is possible "HISTORICALLY" to make a trigger not suck in this state if the MFG is willing to try. Yes, NO kidding first production runs usually suck. All of my statements were intended to point out that all of the firearms dont NEED crappy triggers to get AG approval, and it is possible to have a serviceable trigger on a MA gun ( which a stock M&P is not ) Also, as I stated non of MY guns have mass triggers or they have trigger jobs.

Oh, I carry a Kahr and Glock you your stocks have not been influenced by me at all

Last edited:
I didn't say they were on the "MASS List", I only answered him that there are M&P's with safety's on them.

He thought that they were not made with safety's, but as I showed him, some are made that way...

If you read my post better you will not see me say anything about it being MASS OK...........

My fault, Im implied that from reading your previous post.

My point is, it is possible "HISTORICALLY" to make a trigger not suck in this state if the MFG is willing to try. Yes, NO kidding first production runs usually suck. All of my statements were intended to point out that all of the firearms dont NEED crappy triggers to get AG approval, and it is possible to have a serviceable trigger on a MA gun ( which a stock M&P is not ) Also, as I stated non of MY guns have mass triggers or they have trigger jobs.

Oh, I carry a Kahr and Glock you your stocks have not been influenced by me at all

What you carry and what you might own are two very different things. I'm willing to bet that you just might own a Smith or a Ruger or two, ya just don't carry 'em [wink]

Back
Top Bottom