S&W Shield Reviews

What you carry and what you might own are two very different things. I'm willing to bet that you just might own a Smith or a Ruger or two, ya just don't carry 'em [wink]

Very true. MY M&P 9 is an ugly beater that I love to abuse! Had my trigger worked by Lou @ Business Customs over 3000 rounds ago and couldnt be happier! Hopefully Ill get a pair of balls and shoot some IDPA or IPSC with it ( the reason my wife purchased the M&P as a christmas present for me last year ) There will be little time this year for HP service rifle so, hopefully a little pistol shooting will hold me over

I wish i played the "stock game" as SWHC at under $3 a few months ago seemed like a bargin

OH, and no Rugers! [puke2]

EDIT: And to stay on topic, I think I will pass on the Shield. After handling it I dont think it "fits" a role with me. Much lager than my PM9 and to small for IWB. I will probably end up with the M&P9c as a IWB gun at some point. ( your welcome to your SWHC )

Last edited:
What I meant by my statement was everyone thought that the M&P 45 with the safety on it would be OKed in MASS, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, good ol Martha stuck her nose into it and said "No It Needs The Sucky MASS Trigger".

Are you sure of this??

I'd be willing to bet it was the conservative S&W lawyers who did this. The AG historically says nothing . . . until thousands are sold and then sends the "cease & desist" letter along with the demand that all sold guns be retrieved or face a $5K/gun fine! That's the MA AG MO. They aren't "pro-active" telling mfrs what meets the regs or not. They play the "gotcha game" which is why most mfrs say "screw MA"!

They will, but that adjustment won't be available in free states unless you wear blue or want to fork over big bucks for "custom gunsmithing."

Every Massachusetts M&P I've ever touched needed a full trigger job just to be shootable. I suspect these will have shitty triggers just like the rest of the MA legal M&Ps.

I disagree with the first statement. Gunsmith charges are equal to a mere few boxes of ammo these days making it relatively cheap to fix the problem. Even non-MA triggers on M&Ps suck and need gunsmithing.

Picked up my Shield yesterday and didn't get to shoot it as I had daddy duties. I was hoping to give her a run today, but I don't feel like shooting in the rain and my club only allows lead indoors. Hopefully this week I can right a review.

LenS said:
I disagree with the first statement. Gunsmith charges are equal to a mere few boxes of ammo these days making it relatively cheap to fix the problem. Even non-MA triggers on M&Ps suck and need gunsmithing.

It'll be $100 to have an armorer do the trigger and it's a $400 gun. Then you still have a manual safety... For that kind of money I see better values elsewhere.

Picked up my Shield yesterday and didn't get to shoot it as I had daddy duties. I was hoping to give her a run today, but I don't feel like shooting in the rain and my club only allows lead indoors. Hopefully this week I can right a review.

Hope it shoots great. A lot of rave reviews over on the S&W Forum. The gun seems to be well accepted so far.

Are you sure of this??

I'd be willing to bet it was the conservative S&W lawyers who did this. The AG historically says nothing . . . .

No I'm not 100% sure, it's just what I have been told here a few times by people with more knowledge than me, now they may have been wrong, I don't know.

It'll be $100 to have an armorer do the trigger and it's a $400 gun. Then you still have a manual safety... For that kind of money I see better values elsewhere.

I paid $65 to Greg Derr for each M&P trigger job. He later went up to $75, don't know what he's currently charging. Mike Larocca has been charging $125 for many years.

Don't know what cost will be for the Shield, probably too early to tell.

No I'm not 100% sure, it's just what I have been told here a few times by people with more knowledge than me, now they may have been wrong, I don't know.

OK, none of us will really ever know. It's just that some companies are more conservative than others and the AG is non-responsive to mfrs/dealers or even the public.

Hickok45 just reviewed this gun. If the Mass version is the same, it's going to be a definite buy for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked one out at a local shop the other day. I'm not sure that it was the 'MA' version as it was for display purposes only, but the trigger was okay. Not as bad as the regular M&P line, but certainly not amazing. The grip felt amazing in my hands. For under $400 I think it beats the crap out of the LC9, but I feel like I will still like my PPS more.

Just got a return email from S&W customer service. I had asked about the MA trigger pull on the MA Shield. Here's the email response from S&W Customer Service:
John,

Sorry, but it’s going to be 10 lbs.

That’s one of the requirements.

Regards, ***

Last edited:
Just got a retuen email from S&W customer service. I had asked about the MA trigger pull on the MA Shield. Here'e the email response:
John,

Regards, ***

It's clear that they don't know what they are talking about, sad. Unless they are selling in CA as well and want to only have to make one "restricted states" version.

It's clear that they don't know what they are talking about, sad. Unless they are selling in CA as well and want to only have to make one "restricted states" version.

Again, it's because their lawyers are afraid of the AG and CMR940. Nobody believed me, of course. [laugh]

-Mike

Just got a return email from S&W customer service. I had asked about the MA trigger pull on the MA Shield. Here's the email response from S&W Customer Service:
John,

Regards, ***

vader.jpg

Sigh! A bit of a disappointment but the 10 pounder probably will not deter me from buying. I had previously planned to get the M&P9C but when the Shield came out the choice had changed in favor of the Shield. Both guns need trigger work so I kinda look at it as even in that regard. I like the Shield size better.

I got to fondle the one at Bluenorthern the other day. Seems like a great gun and the trigger was nice. Then they told me that will not be the trigger the Mass version will have [sad].

Yup I got an answer back from S&W today also, it will have the 10 Lb trigger, and they are looking at June for the MASS guns to be coming out for us to buy here in MASS.

John,

Regards, ***

Who makes a 10lb trigger pull a requirement? I thought the Ruger SR9c has a 5. something right out of the box right? I dont get it.

Who makes a 10lb trigger pull a requirement? I thought the Ruger SR9c has a 5. something right out of the box right? I dont get it.

The prevailing thought amongst at least some of us is that the S&W attorneys are taking a super conservative interpretation of the AG Regs. Since NOBODY can get guidance from the AG as to what is acceptable, every company assesses "risk vs. reward" in determining a "course of action" wrt MA. Most decide to avoid MA like the plague, making the AG and EOPS most happy.

Ruger obviously took a less conservative approach to the issue. [I love my SR9c!]

The prevailing thought amongst at least some of us is that the S&W attorneys are taking a super conservative interpretation of the AG Regs. Since NOBODY can get guidance from the AG as to what is acceptable, every company assesses "risk vs. reward" in determining a "course of action" wrt MA. Most decide to avoid MA like the plague, making the AG and EOPS most happy.

Ruger obviously took a less conservative approach to the issue. [I love my SR9c!]

Thanks Len for clearing that up for me. Hats off to Ruger for leading the charge.
AG and EOPS GODS [rolleyes]. I think I would like to try out the sheild I dont think I will dive right into one without a few reviews from the kids in MA.

Patiently waiting...

Anyone have an update on a release date for a MA version? Iv'e heard May, June, July, October...

My pants are about to catch on fire from the money burning a hole in my pocket

I would not call rugers approach to eops and ag conservative. They have every possible safety device known to man on the sr series and one of the flaming gayest lci's out there. But they did leave a great trigger on the gun and the guts are very glock like. American made in stainless at a great price so there's a reason to buy.

I would not call rugers approach to eops and ag conservative. They have every possible safety device known to man on the sr series and one of the flaming gayest lci's out there. But they did leave a great trigger on the gun and the guts are very glock like. American made in stainless at a great price so there's a reason to buy.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI, I was looking at Bob's shooting range gun rentals. He has a Shield listed. So, you can try one in Salisbury if you'd like for 10 bucks.

Last edited:
Besides an extra safety. What does this shield have that the Walther pps thats been out there for years doesn't. I think the pps is thinner actually.

Back
Top Bottom