• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 617 Reflex Site Placement

STEED

NES Member
I recently purchased a used S&W 617-8 (22 LR) 6" Barrel. As you can see the Revolver came with a Nikon Spur P-Tactical Red Dot Reflex Sight mounted forward of the cylinder.

My initial thought was, odd placement, and when I fired it for the first time, it took some time to find the red dot, and it was accurate

My question, is this the correct placement location?

Just seems odd to me, and it just takes a bit of movement to to find the sight picture.

IMG_4465.jpg

If you can see the dot and it works for you then it should be ok. After putting several rounds through it keep an eye in whether the sight is getting covered in residue since it's in front of the cylinder gap. You can always try moving it back towards the rear to see if it's better eye relief for you.

Try both ways, and see what you like. (And I don't mean that time you were college, try it both ways)
I wonder if the previous owner had a magnifier on the rear???

Yeah that's wrong. Why would you want to make your objective smaller on a pistol dot? Makes no sense. Plus it's a .22 and that things gonna get fouled up quick.

But hey if it works for you, go for it. Previous owner probably had a bad astigmatism or intellectual disability.

Back
Top Bottom